Herbal/oil-based mixtures to boost growing hair?

RavenhartRavenhart Registered Users Posts: 46
Okay, I am attempting to grow out my hair after donating 12+ inches in November. It's currently about 2 inches above my shoulders and I want it down below my shoulders again! It's grown pretty impressively since I got it cut; from right around chin length to near my shoulders, but seems to have stalled. I don't want to have short hair anymore! :cry:

I read the posts on the sulfur mixture, but I know I have sensitivities to harsh minerals like that. Does anyone know of a mixture I could use to help my hair long?

I understand that rosemary oil is supposed to help and I'm willing to order things online, pick up herbal/oil mixtures or mix them myself.

Any help is appreciated and I will post pics when I start seeing more growth!

Comments

• dzlovedzlove Registered Users Posts: 38
    i got an herbal grow thing from walgreens. it's thick, but it is an oil based formula. it's called softee herbal gro. i have only used it once, so i am not sure yet how well it works, but it only costs $1, so i figure even if it isn't great it can't be a huge waste. i have used softee coconut oil for a while and love it, so i felt good about the brand.
    my grow out challenge blog: http://growoutchallenge.blogspot.com :blob7:
  • amaraliceamaralice Registered Users Posts: 302
    Try rosemary as well as ylang-ylang, grapefruit, geranium and sage - w/ a carrier oil.

here's a great Essential oil store:
    http://stores.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-ESSENTIAL-OIL
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    http://LakshmsCupboard.com

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Registered Users Posts: 473
    amaralice wrote: »
    Try rosemary as well as ylang-ylang, grapefruit, geranium and sage - w/ a carrier oil.

Ohhhhhhhhh thanks amaralice! I like the idea of using some of these other EO's! Not sure I am up for Rosemary all the time!
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • a curly qa curly q Registered Users Posts: 248
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    amaralice wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhhh thanks amaralice! I like the idea of using some of these other EO's! Not sure I am up for Rosemary all the time!

yes, it can get a little overwhelming and i'm starting to smell like my grandmother when i use it (not that that is SO bad).
    2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Registered Users Posts: 45
    I have been having success with a growth-inducing EO mix I brewed up!

Here's my recipe:

25ml carrier oil (I used a blend of olive oil and sunflower oil)

Drops each of EO:

3 drops thyme
    3 drops rosemary
    3 drops lavender
    1 drop lemon
    1 drop peppermint
    2 ylang ylang

I massage it onto my scalp at night and when I wake up, it's fully absorbed! I've been growing my hair out from short (ear-length :S) and been using this blend for a month or so, and I've seen significant growth already. I can fit it into a ponytail!

HTH!
  • curlybohocurlyboho Registered Users Posts: 130
    Thanks PaprikaPapaya can't wait to try this. I have all these oils but didn't think of trying them...

Love your hair by the way, i have a few questions for you. I tried to use henna this winter, my hair was seriously over highlighted (i.e in my current avitar picture) and i wanted to take it back to its natural color, dark brown almost black. Well the henna was supposed to be dark brown but on my test strands it turned my hair a greenish color. So I went in and got it dyed instead. What type of henna do you use and how did you get it to come out so nice???
    Low Porosity-Medium Density

Hair loves all sorts of proteins...my curls come to life in hot humid weather!
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Registered Users Posts: 45
    Hi CurlyBoho!

Definitely try the oil recipe. It's done fabulous things for me so far.

And thanks for the compliment, I have to return it because your hair in your avatar is beaaaautiful :)

Hmmm....what type of henna were you using? My hair was VERY chemically processed (bleached out and coloured) before using BAQ (body art quality) henna and it just went red. Turning green or something funky sounds like maybe an indication of some sort of additive in your henna. The best places to get henna imo are mehandi.com and hennasooq.com (canadian supplier). I used the Yemen type of Henna, as I was told it produces a more true red rather than an orange red. I used it twice on its own and it yielded FABULOUS redness on my previously chemically coloured brown hair. Not to mention the softness! I then used it in a two-step process (henna first, followed by an hour with indigo) which is what gave me the colour you see in my avatar.
    Hmm...I'm still wondering what could've turned you green!

HTH!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file