Anyone use an epilator....

three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
for hair removal? I have been thinking about investing in one lately and just wondered if it was worth it. Any thoughts? Thanks! :D
Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos

Comments

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    *crickets chirpping

Hellllooooooo? Is there anybody out there? :lol:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

• skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    All I can say is I HAD one...once... ouch!!! :shock: :shock:
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • I'm not crazy...REALLY!I'm not crazy...REALLY! Posts: 3Registered Users
    what is an epilator????? is it like a tweezer? do you wax also?? hey i have a question.... when you tweeze hair will it take longer for the hair to grow back than if you'd shave it??? :shock:
    "Some are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves 2much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin."~tori amos~
  • curlychellecurlychelle Posts: 44Registered Users
    I used on in the late 80's or early 90's when I was in my teens, and all I can say is OUCH!!!!!

Waxing is definitely a better way to go. An epilator is like a medieval torture device!!!

Kinda off topic, has anyone ever had a brazilian bikini wax?? I was thinking about it, but am a bit...ahem...hesitant about letting anyone get that...well, close.
  • italiancurlieitaliancurlie Posts: 35Registered Users
    Smooth skin longer? Shaving half as much? Sounds great, right? I thought so too, so I bought one from Ulta. I used it once, and it's been sitting at the bottom of my linen closet ever since. I would rather be a hairy beast than go through that torture again. Not only was it excruciating, but I had these red dots all over my legs for about 5 days after using it. I couldn't even imagine letting that thing get NEAR my bikini line. Believe me, if you hate shaving that much then get it waxed. It's a lot easier!
    You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment.
    ~Unknown
    :shock: Wow - thanks for the info ladies. So much for my brilliant plan!

Waxing and my skin don't mix. I had one really bad exerience where the wax had to be scraped off with a razor - I got the brilliant idea just to shave with a razor and save the hot wax for someone who may enjoy it more. :wink:

Guess I'll have to stick with the good old razor....

• jax3catsjax3cats Posts: 34Registered Users
    There was a tyhread about this a while back; not sure if the actual topic was "epilators" or if it was a thread that started as a different topic then de-railed.

At any rate, I DO use an epilator regularly and have done so for many, many years. I started out with the old-fashioned coil Epilady (true torture) and then graduated to one that looks like an electric razor. It definitely takes some getting used to, but overall I don't think it's any more painful than waxing, but it is certainly a lot faster and a lot less messy. I use it about 2-3 times a week for touch-ups (since hair doesn't grow uniformly all at once) and always have smooth legs. Because the hairs are being ripped from the follicles, after repeated use they grow back a lot finer, lighter, and sparser. I swear I barely have any hair on my calves anymore, and I suspect if I keep it up in a few more years I won't haveany hair on my shins, either.

I even use it in the bikini area, which is a bit more painful and does cause some redness, but it doesn't usually last very long.

CurlyChelle, I've had a Brazilian a few times, but since like you, I didn't want anyone going "down there" with hot wax, I did it myself with a kit from Sally's. Probably not the smartest idea because it was the most painful thing I ever did, but once again, the pain was short-lived but the long-term results were good, so i kept it up. One time I actually even used my epilator to get rid of most of the hair. Again, not the best idea, but I figure if I don't try it I'll never know...
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    USED to think I was a 2 b/c wavy, until I started growing out my very short hair and discovered I'm actually a 3 a/b curlyhead!
    I have extremely thin fine hair on my legs and under my arms - I can go for days without shaving my legs and it feels soft. I wonder how well it would work?

Thanks for the info, Jax3cats!

I was thinking of getting a good at home wax kit and doing regular bikini waxes for a few months before moving up to the brazilian. But I don't think I'd have the courage to even attempt a brazilian at home. I was thinking I might even take a trip to NY to go the the J. Sisters salon (and maybe make an appt at Devachan, too!)
  • dream3ddream3d Posts: 25Registered Users
    i've got an emoji epilator & i love it! yeah it's painful but I find it to be less painfull then waxing & i can do it anytime & anywhere. I got pretty used to the pain after a few uses.
    waves (2c) wanting to curl (3a)
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you get an epilator, make sure to exfoliate regularly. I got ingrowns like crazy when I first started.

I like the Braun soft perfection epilator...it's not painless, but not horrible.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
    Well, after spending 1 1/2 hours waxing last weekend I decided to give epilators another try, hoping they'd gotten better since I last used one 15 years ago.

I got mine at Ulta, and I was really surprised by how well it works! I used it on my legs first. Great results, no pain. So I tried it on my bikini line. It was a bit painful and I got a few red spots that went away overnight. The only place it REALLY hurt was on my underarms. I'm going to have to work up to that slowly!

I got the Braun, but am thinking of ordering the tiny Enjoi to use for touchups.
  • NessyNessy Posts: 788Registered Users
    curlychelle,

i've been using my emjoi for 3 yrs and it is amazing!! it is really great. it gets the hairs if they are short (unlike waxing) and it is so fast and there's no mess. i love it.
  • akilamoniqueakilamonique Posts: 302Registered Users
    I just went out and bought this one today because my son dumped my old one in the tub and enjoyed how it filled up with water and could pour out just like a bucket!!! Thank God It Wasn't Plugged In!!!

Anyway, I was going back and forth between that one and this [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Braun-5270-Silk-épil-Xelle-System/dp/B000EZYKTS/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BBKSW3YD7P8CCHXXGE0"]one[/URL].
    The reason I bought the Panasonic is because of the bikini trimmer and the fact that I could put it in water(reviewers say it was less painful if you do it while soaking in the tub-your pores are open, yada, yada, yada). I only used my old one on my face, but I'm feeling adventurous and want to try it on my legs and armpits this time around. I'm not happy about not being able to use it plug in, at least I don't think you can(I'll have to try it sometime) but the directions aren't 100% clear on that aspect.
    ACV Rinse 2-3 times a week
    Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    Curly Kinks: Satin Root, Coil Jam
    Castor oil on scalp
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I have the Braun that akilamonique linked to in her post. I've only used it a few times but so far I really like it. I waxed for a few years and the hair on my legs have become sparser and finer, so I didn't find this painful at all. Although the noise really scared me the first time I turned it on. :lol:

Overall, I prefer it to waxing because 1- if I'm waxing myself, epilating is a lot neater and quicker 2- if I'm having someone else wax me, epilating is (obviously) cheaper, and I can do it at my convenience instead of having to make an appointment to get it done. Also, you don't have to wait for the hairs to grow as long, so you can do it more frequently.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    BTW, there are a few threads about waxing, and also about brazilians, on the "non-hair discussion" board, if you want to do a search.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Braun 5270 Silk-épil X'elle Body System Epilator

I highly recommend it. I bought it after reading a couple epilator threads here. The first time I used it, I didn't know if I would survive. The second time was just a touch better. By the third time, I didn't think it was so bad.
    Now, it's a piece of cake, as long as I do it once a week. I once let two weeks go in between, and it was pretty painful (even though I trimmed before I did it). Lesson learned.
    I love it and will never go back to shaving. It has drastically cut down my shower time!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2happy wrote: »
    Braun 5270 Silk-épil X'elle Body System Epilator

I highly recommend it. I bought it after reading a couple epilator threads here. The first time I used it, I didn't know if I would survive. The second time was just a touch better. By the third time, I didn't think it was so bad.
    Now, it's a piece of cake, as long as I do it once a week. I once let two weeks go in between, and it was pretty painful (even though I trimmed before I did it). Lesson learned.
    I love it and will never go back to shaving. It has drastically cut down my shower time!!

Me too. I have found though that the starter head with the rollers makes it hurt more than the pro head. Don't use it just before you're period though, I always thought the 'more pain during a period' thing was a myth - I was proved wrong. Ouch.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It hurts quite a bit when you start out using it. I'd recommend starting out very gradually, doing each leg over the course of a few days. After that, the hairs grow back much thinner, and any pain is negligible. And yes, in response to the irritation, there will be a red bump near each follicle for a few hours. It's nothing to worry about, but don't epilate right before you go out!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I only use it on my pits. Hair doesn't really grow on my arms and legs. I tried it for the hair on my lady-bits but I thought it was A) too scary, especially being pregnant and viewing everything through a mirror, and B) too painful.

The pits were ok because it stopped hurting pretty quickly over time. I didn't get that speed of pain reduction in the bikini area.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file