CurlTalk

Exercise accountability thread

2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
I've decided to post my daily workout here. I'm hoping the accountability will help me to be more consistent. If anyone wants to join me, the support would be wonderful!

My weekly workout:

M, W, F - the C25K walk/run program
T, TH, S - weight training, using the New Rules of Lifting for Women book (NROLFW)

2/15/08 - did the C25K, W4D1 w/o; it was tough, but do-able!

2/16/08 - did my NROLFW w/o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    I'll jump in:) Right now, I'm writing in my pocket calendar what I do each day to keep me accountable.

Monday (2/11): Fitness Dance
    Tuesday (2/12): Pilates
    Wednesday (2/13): Weights
    Thursday (2/14): Kickboxing
    Friday (2/15): Weights
    Today (2/16): Pilates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Good for you, Lilah! Seems like you have a great routine - do you go to classes at a gym or use DVDs at home?

Today I'm going to do weights since yesterday I ended up doing a yoga DVD instead.
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

The Fitness Dance and Kickboxing are classes at the dance studio in town. The rest are on DVDs. I have a pilates dvd that I really like because it is divided up into sections (abs, legs/butt, toning with weights, stretch) so I mix and match two different sections when I'm doing pilates.

Oh and Sunday is usually my day off:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    This is a great idea. I do this on another board of mine and it's such an awesome motivator!

2/16 40min stationary bike, 15min upper body circuit
    2/17 1hr shoveling snow, 20min/2mi run on treadmil (this is all my 9mo old would allow me :tongue:)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs722.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww223%2Fmamacurl7%2F" class="Popup
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fkatiebutton.rovia.com%2F" class="Popup
    I got my walk/run - W4D2 - in at the Y today, despite a nasty cold. I'm feeling righteous - and congested!

Nice to have the company, Lilah and Mamacurl!

I'm going to brave the current snowstorm to go to my Fitness Dance class now:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I will join in too!

I go to the gym after work every week day.

M-F: 30 minutes elipitical & Abs
    MWF: Lower body workout with weight machines
    T&Thur: Upper body workout with weight machines

I have been having such a struggle getting back into my routine. This week the SO is traveling so I am thinking about trying to go in the morning. That would mean up at 5 am - take the dog out and feed him - out of the house by 5:30 in order to get back in time to start work (Thank goodness I work from home). I am not sure about that though because it is nice to get out of the house after I am done working so the after work thing may be better for me....we shall see!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    how was dance Lilah? hopefully the snow didn't give you too much trouble on your way

xcptnl, hope you find a routine that works for you. I tend to do better in the afternoon/evening. How awesome you get to work from home.

Monday
    43min/4mil interval run on treadmill
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs722.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww223%2Fmamacurl7%2F" class="Popup
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fkatiebutton.rovia.com%2F" class="Popup
    Dance was fun-- roads weren't so great though

The instructor went to a Zumba conference last weekend and she's going to teach us some moves next week:)

My husband and I drove into town together because he had a meeting tonight. While I waited for him to be done I tried out tap dancing! I was pretty awful, but I had fun:toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I'll join in! I was doing so well since the New Year, yoga on alternating days, with only a couple lapses.

Then last week I got a little off-track, and then I got my period and it was a very bad one. So I haven't done anything in 6 days, and I know it's a slippery slope, so I'd like to stop this in its tracks.

Here's what I'm putting up on the blackboard in my kitchen:

Tue yoga
    Wed 30 min walk
    Thu yoga
    Fri 30 min walk
    Sat yoga
    Sun 30 min walk

I'm going to check in here each day to keep myself accountable.

Thanks!
    wild~hair-- I can't wait until I can go on walks again-- way to cold for that here though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We had rain here last night then it cooled off so I decided not to drive to the gym this am. I WILL go after work!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    okay, i'm joining..
    i don't have any type of schedule but i just want to engage in some sort of physical activity (even if it's only a couple times a week) :)

sat 2/16 - approx. 1-2hrs beach paddleball and frisbee
    sun 2/17 - 2+hrs canoeing
    mon 2/18 - stretching

need to do something today!

ETA: i just did 3 (of 6) exercises in an issue of SELF.. the exercises are for the lower body and my legs are killing me now.. i'm not going to over do it and try to finish the last 3.. i had to push through the first 3.. but at least i did something :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    I'm interested in that New Rules of Lifting For Women book, is it good? Would you recommend it?
    Lilah wrote: »
    wild~hair-- I can't wait until I can go on walks again-- way to cold for that here though!

Pretty sure it's not much warmer here in Minneapolis. :wink:
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    My new exercise routine is walk 1 mile morning and night.

Because that's how far the bus stop is from my house... there are many great reasons for me to ride the bus, so I am!

I may try to work out a routine to get into the gym for strength training as well (because I feel weak and out of shape in that regard) once I get used to getting up at 4am to go to work.

And when I can I'm going to Mexico to build houses with Engineers Without Borders. I think that will help in the strengthening aspect...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    Guinness, are you walking outside in this subzero/barely above zero stuff?? Burrrrr!

40min bike, 2 sets 20 pushups and 2 sets 25 pushpus (assisted/knees)
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    Yeah, I walk around in it. It's really not that bad. :wink: I wear layers, and since I'm trying to get exercise I move pretty quickly. Only my hands get a little cold, the rest of me is pretty good.

Oh and there's popcorn! [I walk to the neighborhood theater, where you can get popcorn with real butter, even if you're not seeing a movie.]

popcorn.gif

Here's my accountability bit: 60 minutes of yoga today
    Here is my confession:

I was not good yesterday-- I came home from work and went straight to a Piston's game. Then I came home and went to bed. No work-out in there.:sad8:

I will be better today.:compress:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok...I didnt exercise last night. I am not sure why - I was all ready-dressed and I was even in the area of my gym. :sad8:
    Central Massachusetts

Lilah wrote: »
    Here is my confession:

I was not good yesterday-- I came home from work and went straight to a Piston's game. Then I came home and went to bed. No work-out in there.:sad8:

I will be better today.:compress:

Next time enter at a different level than your seats, and take the stairs to get to them? (But not working out one day isn't a sin, either! If you totally restrict yourself from enjoying life, you will have a lot more trouble keeping it up.)

Wednesdays I have family dinners, so don't have the time to walk home after the early bus home to get my car - and use the park and ride. So I got off at a bus stop far from my building at work and walked on this end of the ride! I'm still sore from my 2 miles of walking yesterday, though, so not going to fight too hard on it...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

Haha...there won't be a next time. Professional basketball games aren't really my style. Someone gave us free tickets though and my husband loves the Pistons.

We did have a little hike from the parking lot to the doors and we had to take a couple sets of stairs that I jogged up:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've been down for the count the last couple of days with the flu - thought it was just a cold, but I've been too miserable. I've been enjoying reading all your posts, though. Today I finally have enough energy to respond.

Amandacurls - I do recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women -- it's got a great strength training program

NetG - you're smart to get the walking in when and where you can

Lilah - I love the idea of Zumba and tap dancing - what a fun way to exercise!

Mamacurls - You're doing a great job of consistently exercising, despite a baby at home - WTG!

xcptnl - good luck w/the gym - I find getting started is the hardest part, too....

wild~hair - yoga and walking are a great combo! What kind of yoga do you do?

goldy - I want your exercise routine -- beach paddleball and canoeing - sounds like way more fun than my routine!

You all are putting me to shame, I'll try to get back on track tomorrow...

2poodles wrote: »

how are you liking the Couch Potato to 5k program? i've considered doing it multiple times, but i feel like i probably couldn't even get through the first workout without feeling like blech..

if you don't mind me asking, what type of shape were you in when you first started it? i find myself getting winded when i walk up a few flights of stairs (yes i'm out of shape, my metabolism is my worst enemy grrrr.....)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Guinness, wow! I admire your dedication to get out in the cold. And there's popcorn too? Yum! Are you a Guinness conessour? I'm a dark beer gal, I sure love a Guinness. I ventured out into cream stouts and found one by Brau that was really good and I'm going to tackle Young's Double Chocolate Stout next.

Lilah, a day off here and there is totally ok..even better than no days off. You need recovery days in there;) I'm still holding out for the zumba too, hopefully next paycheck I can sneak off to the ballroom to check them out.

Thanks Poodles, thank goodness for naptime;) Though my. I think I'll check out the couch to 5K, I already run 3-4miles 3-4days a week but I'd like to work on my time.

I might take a day off today, we'll see. Maybe some tae bo
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    Mamacurl3 wrote: »
    Thanks Poodles, thank goodness for naptime;) Though my. I think I'll check out the couch to 5K, I already run 3-4miles 3-4days a week but I'd like to work on my time.

if you're already running anywhere from 9-16 miles a week you may want to check out one of hal higdon's plans to do some speed work..

disclaimer: i don't run but my husband does ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    I've been down for the count the last couple of days with the flu - thought it was just a cold, but I've been too miserable. I've been enjoying reading all your posts, though. Today I finally have enough energy to respond.

Have you had a runny nose, and exhaustion, and possibly your body is starting to hurt? Your sinuses are starting to feel closed up about now, and you may be starting to run a fever?

If so, it probably IS a cold. There is a very, very nasty cold going around! The virus survives for about 2 weeks, most people end up with sinus infections, and apparently for the most part it's ending up as bronchitis or pneumonia about 2 weeks after the start. If that's what you have, the strongest recommendation I can give you is go see your doctor when you start showing symptoms you think he might be able to do something about. For the sinus infection, decongestants can help it drain and get better quickly if you get in soon enough for strong ones. If you have a neti pot or something, that may help, too. I have an inhaler I use to prevent lung problems (bronchitis girl here!) and am convinced that's why I didn't end up with bronchitis this time. But my doctor wanted me to take a full two weeks off work because of it!
    -Speckla

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Way to go everyone! :)

I'll be joining you soon for accountability. I've taken about a week off because I've had a bad combination of a cold and bad withdrawal side effects from transitioning off a medication. Blech. I really wanted to lift weights today, but with my light-headedness I was afraid I'd hurt myself. So I'm going to do push-ups and crunches tonight and see if I feel good enough to do the rest tomorrow.

Amanda - I've been doing the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women workouts, too and really like them. They're tough but do-able!

ETA: I just remembered I walked a little over 2 miles today around campus. Brrr!
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    goldy wrote: »

how are you liking the Couch Potato to 5k program? i've considered doing it multiple times, but i feel like i probably couldn't even get through the first workout without feeling like blech..

if you don't mind me asking, what type of shape were you in when you first started it? i find myself getting winded when i walk up a few flights of stairs (yes i'm out of shape, my metabolism is my worst enemy grrrr.....)

I'm not 2poodles but I am doing the C25K program on my treadmill and although I have had some set backs due to death in the family/travel, it is manageable.

The first two weeks, for me at least, were very doable and I started as a very out-of-shape 30 lbs over my goal weight person. The third week I felt great and it was going along just fine. Week 4 just about killed me because I went away for a week and didn't keep up. So I started back on week 3 and did that again and then went ahead. I'm doing okay but not loving running by any stretch of the imagination. My husband and I have run a couple of times outside together and that went well. He is used to running and pushes me to keep doing and do better. I know I can run 5K as I have in the past but as I get older I realize that it just isn't as easy to get into shape or lose weight like it used to be in my early 20s.
    316vq4y.jpg
    thanks for the response sariroo :)

i really want to try to do it.. but i get tired just walking a couple of miles at the brisk pace.. it was easy to convince myself i couldn't do it.. now i need to convince myself that i can :lol:

i'm happy to report that today i did some aerobic exercises from SELF magazine and then i danced around the room to 80s music for about 20 minutes :mrgreen:
    Poodlehead wrote: