how much conditioner do you use?

InfraredheadInfraredhead Registered Users Posts: 335
I was curious as to how much conditioner you use when CO washing? I know it says a teaspoon or so in Curly Girl, but that doesn't seem like enough for my shoulder length 2C-3A, color treated hair. I know some conditioners are much more rich and require less (like my tub of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]) but sometimes when I use something like a VO5 or a Suave I put QUITE a bit more than a teaspoon in my hands! Do you find that you get more curls and waves the less conditioner you use? Just wondering...
Mod CG since April of 2007.

Comments

• CalamityMCalamityM Registered Users Posts: 541 Curl Novice
    I have a lot of hair, so that wouldn't be enough for me. I use as much as I need so it feels like it can spread easilly over my scalp. I really massage it into my scalp, and then I take lots of time to make sure it's all rinsed out properly! So far so good!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I use a large handful and my hair is very short...perhaps I use too much but I like to know every strand on my head is covered.

Speckla
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    I don't cowash, but I always use lots of conditioner after I shampoo. I've found that hair curls more when introduced to more moisture.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    It really depends on how rich the conditioner is and how dry your hair is. You may need a palmful (or more) of a thinner conditioner like Suave or VO5, or just a nickel to quarter size blob of a richer conditioner. But after the conditioner is worked through and rinsed a bit, your hair should feel like slimy seaweed.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Registered Users Posts: 727
    I start with only a teaspoon and add more a little at a time if my hair seems to be soaking it up.

I would rather start on the lesser side as my hair is fine and gets weighed down and/or greasy looking if I'm not careful.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • SoCalWavySoCalWavy Registered Users Posts: 92
    I use about 4 - 6 oz of cheapie condish to co wash, and then about 2 - 4 tsps of rich condish like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] to actually do the "conditioning" step. (We need new terms! Like first condish and second condish or something, I get so tired of telling people "i shampoo with conditioner")
    Anyway, yeah... it should feel like slimy seaweed when you are second step conditioning or whatever.... :confused2:
    2A/3A, high porosity, fine, normal elasticity.
    Shampoo Bar: Dr. Bronner's Baby Bar
    Condish: KBB Milk/Mop Top/TJ Nourish
    Leave-In: See Above!
    Curl Enhancer: KCCC/BB Gelee
    Hold: Fuzzy Duck(med)/BRHG(strong)
    2nd Day Hair: FOTE + Dab BRHG

Loving BB Gelee right now
    my hair likes: protein, light gels/sprays
    Fotki: pw=curly
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I'm about in line with jcrewgirl. One teaspoon would just never spread out over my scalp.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Oh?!? We're only supposed to use 1 tsp? I thought it was 1 tsp per section that we co-washed. :laughing6:

I find that I have better results with a cheap conditioner for co-wash and rich stuff for the 2nd condish. (I agree, we need a better way to say this.)
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Registered Users Posts: 335
    Yup the teaspoon amount was thrown out the door. Especially with less humidity in the air right now. Glad to see that there are other wavies that like to slather it on!
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    I cowash and use about 2 quarters worth. Same amount for my condish. My hair is an inch or two past shoulder length but medium-ish/thick
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file