Relocated to SW and products stopped working!

Hello all -

It has been a long while since I have posted as I was doing well with my CG routine. I have been CG for about 3 years now... But we just moved to the southwest from the midwest and the lack of humidity (I know, crazy!) is making my hair nuts! We went to San Diego for the weekend a couple weeks ago and the humidity by the ocean was great - my hair acted like "normal" - like back in the midwest. Who would've thought I would want some humidity?

None of my old stand-by products are working down here. Not Suave Ocean Breeze, not [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl too shea[/buylink], JC CCoils, not JC RR, not FOTE Aloe Vera Gel, not Herbal Essences Set me Up, not [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Devacurl Angel[/buylink]l... grrrr!!!!

Plus my scalp is freaking out! I have been using tea tree oil and vinegar rinses about once a week, separately. I CO-wash and massage about every other day. I feel like I have to Co-wash or else some of the products feel sticky when I wet my hair and I can't get my fingers through it.

Any advice from any southwestern curlies?

My hair is a loose curl except right at my temples. As the day goes by my curls get looser to where I am almost straight by evening. So I need some products with good holding power. And I prefer the drug store stuff.

I miss the old Suave professionals extra hold gel (biolage gellee knock-off). I just finished the last of my stash of it...it's probably been two years since they stopped making it. Anything similar to it out there these days?

Thanks all!

Renee
-renee-
3A in general/3B right around face
No-Poo since 2/05
Now trying to adjust to moving to SW (dry) climate!

Co-wash every other day with a Suave Conditioner. Add Tee Tree Oil 1/wk. Water rinse other days.
ACV Rinse 1/wk.
Condition 3-in1 mousse - looking for new products to use that are dry climate friendly!
Using up last of HE gel and Jessicurl RR and CC occasionally.
Jojoba Oil rubbed on scalp as needed.

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't know anything about caring for curly hair in the dry heat, but I have an almost-full bottle of Biotera firm-hold gel on the swap board, which is supposed to be like a cheap Biolage gelee knock-off. It's also sold on Amazon, if you don't have a Sally's.
  • CG ReneeCG Renee Posts: 13Registered Users
    Is Biotera no-poo friendly?

I haven't been keeping up with the latest CG friendly products...

BTW, we're in Albuquerque if anyone has any specific info on Abq...
    -renee-
    No-Poo since 2/05

Co-wash every other day with a Suave Conditioner. Add Tee Tree Oil 1/wk. Water rinse other days.
    ACV Rinse 1/wk.
    Condition 3-in1 mousse - looking for new products to use that are dry climate friendly!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Your hair is *not* going to be the same in dry weather as humidty. It just isn't.

However, I would try switching to lighter weight versions of the products you've been using - try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]aloeba[/buylink] instead of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]too shea[/buylink], for example. In humidity you actually need the extra moisture to keep your hair from absorbing the humidity and frizzing, but in dry weather the heavier products will weigh it down.

A few weeks ago I was on a cruise ship and in Jamaica. I LOVED the curls! I miss them. But I live in Tucson... I'm not normally going to have those 3B curls I had on the ship, and more often have the 3A approaching wavy curls....
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I'm in total agreement with NetG.
    Okay ladies, I haven't conditioned my hair on Sunday, Monday or today and I have major STATIC! Only water-washed. And my hair is very straight...

What now? I feel like it is not getting enough moisture now...

Thanks
    Renee
    -renee-
    No-Poo since 2/05

ACV Rinse 1/wk.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I would still condition - I just wouldn't use as heavy products.

Though, I have been using Potion 9 (and feel like I'm cheating on Jessicurl's products, which I love!) and because it has so much oil I don't always use any conditioner anymore. But it's not really heavy, and I don't use a lot.

But I wouldn't just use water and nothing else.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    Hi Renee - I feel for you. I moved from humid Maryland to the Nevada desert last June. It took a lot of experimenting for me to figure out what would work for my hair in this climate. I have mostly wavy hair (vs. curly), so I do use a non-sulfate shampoo. I tried the strictly CG method of shampooing once per week, but that doesn't work well for me. I found that I had to lighten up, as a couple of others have already said, on everything I use. My routine is to shampoo just my scalp every 4 days. My curl pattern is not strong enough to get second day hair without re-wetting, so on the alternate days I just rinse my hair - not co-wash, not water-wash, just rinse thoroughly. Every day I use a small amount of light conditioner and rinse it out well. My fav is Suave Ocean Breeze. I comb Jessicurl RR through wet hair and then scrunch it in very well. I stopped using gel about 2 months after I moved. I discovered it was making my finished look too stringy. I finish by scrunching as much water out as possible with a microfiber towel. Depending on the weather and what my plans are I either air dry or diffuse about 80% dry. Either way, when it's completely dry I run my hands close to my scalp to "reconnect" the canopy, without disturbing the curls on the outer layer. If I have any frizz - e.g. those rare days we get rain - I'll emulsify a little bit of oil and water in my hands and run that very lightly over the surface of my hair.

Sorry this got so long. I know you'll have to experiment yourself to see what works best for you. Hopefully this will give you some ideas on things to try.

Good luck, and welcome to the beautiful Southwest!
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
    NetG,

I started using my Potion 9 again too & my hair loved it. I found an unopened tube that was a year old. I thought I got rid of it after I started using jojoba oil, which you should try, CG Renee.

It's light. The oil mimics your own sebum. It's the only oil from a plant or otherwise that comes closest.
    Update:

I am still refusing to shampoo my hair, even with a low-sulfate shampoo. I don't want to resort to that after three years of no poo.

I have lightened up a little. I am co-washing every other day and only rinsing completely the other days. I have mostly been using Suave Ocean Breeze with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] only once a week.

I have lightened up on the amount of towel dry/scrunching I am doing when getting out of the shower. I only scrunch a little with the towel, otherwise I lose the curl and it gets frizzy and dry too quickly, before I have put any product on it.

I also had noticed that my husband kept changing the temp setting on the dryer to high, so I downed that to medium and it seems to have helped a bit. I think high may have been drying it too quickly.

All my Jessicurl products seem to have stopped working...RR and CC too. I have been using the Herbal Essences green tube of gel because I need the hold. Then today I tried the purple Herbal Essences tube of gel and my curls turned into looser, limper curls than usual.

The static seems to have calmed down.

My scalp is still not happy, but it has never been happy in all my life! I have always used jojoba oil to oil my scalp a bit and have been trying to remember to do it at night at least once a week. I don't think it really helps me much though. I have been trying ACV rinses and tea tree oil in my co-washing periodically too. I haven't had noticeable results from any of them.

I think the only reason I would choose to wash my hair with poo again is for the dandruff/itchy scalp issue...

So it has changed a little bit but not enough to make me happy...still frustrated...

Is this Potion 9 that you all speak of free of cones and all the bad stuff? I don't know that one. I really prefer drug store stuff though so I don't have to pay for shipping on a product I may not like...

can you all tell I am pretty down on my hair today? Sorry. Thanks for all your comments.
    -renee-
    No-Poo since 2/05

ACV Rinse 1/wk.
    Then today I tried the purple Herbal Essences tube of gel and my curls turned into looser, limper curls than usual.

I've read where some (or a lot of) people don't care for this one (Totally Twisted). I may not buy it again either. I don't like how it foams/suds during application & the sound is still there while drying.
    Is this Potion 9 that you all speak of free of cones and all the bad stuff? I don't know that one. I really prefer drug store stuff though so I don't have to pay for shipping on a product I may not like...

You can buy it at any salon or salon supply place that's open to the public. Supposedly Sally Beauty Supply carries a knock off of this in the Generic Value brand. But I don't know if the ingredients are identical or not.

From www.drugstore.com
    Ingredients

Water (aqua), Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera Biennis), Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citric Acid, Alcohol Denat., Butylphenol Methylpropional, D&C Orange 4 (CI 15510), Coumarin, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Alpha IsoMethyl Ionone, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), BHT, FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035), Asorbyl Palmitate

I think it's the Amodimethicone that's removed with water or a conditioner wash. It's what's in Loraine Massey's products.

And the Alcohol Denatured is so far down the list, mixed in with so much goodness that it's obviously quite diluted... my hair is drying alcohol sensitive & this one where it's at does nothing to my hair.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm only a 2C/maybe 3A, but have lived in dry Utah my whole life. I've found that mousse's tend to work better for my curls than gels. You can still get a firm holding mousse and it will hold your curls as well as a gel. I like Condition 3-in-1 or JoiWhip. HE Body Envy mousse is a nice one along with HE Set Me Up mousse. They all give me a good curl. I don't diffuse my hair very often, just clip it all on top of my head until it's dry, then scrunch the crunch out (usually an hour to dry at shoulder length, very thick medium to fine colored hair). I'm almost positive all these are CG.

Don't know if this will be helpful or not. Hope it is!

• finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    welcome to the desert!!!! It is hard to find the right product. I have different hair when I use a water softener versus hard water. Also I definitely can't use a thick conditioner. My hair likes the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]aloeba conditioner[/buylink]. I don't use much on my hair because the heat makes my curls flat anyway. but when I do I like the mousses. Well my hair is 3A and fine so I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file