Trying this out...

CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice
Hey!

I have been trying to drastically cut down on how often I shampoo my hair. I read about the no shampoo method, and I'd like to give it a try. I only use Curly Hair Solutions products at the moment, because they make my hair look it's best. I have tried a lot of stuff, and these work, so I don't want to stray from them!

I don't have the book, but are you supposed to totally stop shampooing your hair forever? I find that my roots and scalp feel kind of weird after a few days. I am trying to only shampoo once a week, but it's difficult. Are you supposed to ignore this feeling, or do you shampoo your scalp when this happens?

Thanks!

P.S.
I am washing my hair daily with conditioner! I just wanted to add that! ;)

Comments

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    hang in there! it gets easier, i promise. I shampooed my hair all summer long, and then restarted cg. Its hard for your scalp to get used to not getting stripped everyday, so the oils have to "regulate," if you will. There's a support thread on the general boards for people trying no to shampoo as much, so you might check that out. Good luck!! Keep going!!:thumright:
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    shellynot wrote: »
    hang in there! it gets easier, i promise.

ITA

Took about 2 or 3 months to get the right combo for my hair. But it was so worth it. I use CHS CK, Pure Silk Protein and switching to their gel when my current one runs out.

Good luck.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ahhh...so I just need to keep sticking it out. I guess that makes sense. I just don't like how it feels, but if it will make my hair look amazing, I can suck it up! Thanks guys!!
  • RachCurlzRachCurlz Posts: 60Registered Users
    A lot of curlies use a scalp brush to help clean their scalps while co-washing. Are you using the CHS condtioner for co-washing? That may be too heavy for co-washing and may be contributing to that wierd feeling on your scalp. I've been using Suave Clarifying lately because it's really light and doesn't have a lot of extra condtioning ingredients so it doesn't build up on my scalp. Most Suave and VO5 conditioners are light enough for co-washing. Make sure you massage well and rinse your scalp thouroughly. Hope that helps.
    3b with 3a & 3c shoulder length curls.
    Mostly CG.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Adding a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to your conditioner washes will provide the abrasion your scalp needs to feel (and be!) clean. Simple, cheap solution!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    I definitly think I need to switch conditioners. My hair feels wonderfully soft now, but it's almost too moisturized now! I am using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Conditioner-338-oz-p-185.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-conditioner]Curly Hair Solutions conditioner[/buylink] to co-wash, and then I use their protein conditioner afterwards. Maybe this combo is just too rich for my hair!

I am scared to try anything different, because my hair has great body now that I have started using these products. It used to stick flat on my head when I used Infusium Conditoner, and I'm scared of that happening again!

So....should I switch conditoners for co-washing, or should I try the brown sugar route?? Does the brown sugar rinse out completly??
    CalamityM wrote: »
    I definitly think I need to switch conditioners. My hair feels wonderfully soft now, but it's almost too moisturized now! I am using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Conditioner-338-oz-p-185.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-conditioner]Curly Hair Solutions conditioner[/buylink] to co-wash, and then I use their protein conditioner afterwards. Maybe this combo is just too rich for my hair!

I am scared to try anything different, because my hair has great body now that I have started using these products. It used to stick flat on my head when I used Infusium Conditoner, and I'm scared of that happening again!

So....should I switch conditoners for co-washing, or should I try the brown sugar route?? Does the brown sugar rinse out completly??

The brown sugar definitely rinses out completely. You add a couple of tablespoons however much conditioner you use to do a conditioner wash (wash as opposed to just the conditioning regimen where you passively leave conditioner on your hair while you shower or something). Scrub your scalp as if the mixture were shampoo and then rinse it all out very thoroughly. Then you can just apply regular conditioner and do your normal thang from there. The scrubbing works wonders to exfoliate your scalp without stripping it or your hair of necessary natural oils.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

Wow! Really? I am totally going to try this then! If I can achieve that clean scalp feeling, then this will be the perfect system! (Why am I scared when I think of honey though? I the back of my mind I am picturing myself running around with a sticky scalp, trailed by bees! Hehehe.)
    Yeah, the honey thing scares me a bit, too! I just can't imagine that it ever washes out or that it leaves hair anything but sticky. Lots of people on these boards love it, though. Maybe one of these days I will try it but right now, I'm still a bit chicken.

Total thumbs up to the brown sugar procedure, though! :thumright:

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I don't know what your curl type is. Don't worry, I don't really know what mine is either.

Anyway, my point is, the book actually does recommend occasional shampoos for wavy hair types. Just far less often and using shampoos with far less harsh ingredients.
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've tried adding honey to my conditioner - about a 50/50 mix and it works great. I was hesitant at first too. I don't know how often it's recommended, but I don't think I'd do it everyday. Maybe once a week. It did add shine and softness. No sticky feeling at all.

How often would the brown sugar treatment be done?
    Is that to replace a no-poo type cleansing?
    The beauty of the brown sugar scrub is that you only have to do it when you feel you need it. In the beginning, I did it every couple of weeks. Now I find I go 4 to 6 weeks before even thinking about it because my scalp really has adjusted to the conditioner washes I give it every 4 or 5 days. So, really, it's up to you. If your scalp feels cruddy or a bit itchy, one round of brown sugar scrub will make you feel refreshed again.

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with jillipoo. You can try this, too: If your hair is getting over conditioned, or your scalp feels gunky from the conditioner, then try water washing your scalp and only using conditioner on the length to detangle. Massage/scrub your scalp with your fingertips or a scalp brush, then rinse really well. And it will take 4 - 6 weeks for your scalp and hair to adjust to your new routine, so be patient. Even if you are a wavy you may not need to use shampoo regularly, a cowash once a week will keep your scalp clean as long as you are massaging and rinsing well. The brown sugar scrub or an ACV rinse is nice, too, now and then.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file