Bad breakouts. Help!

MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
Hi,

Up until just recently, my skin had been pretty damn good. In fact, I was thinking 'hmm, looks like I've grown out of acne'. Over the past couple of weeks though, it's returned with a vengeful vengeance. My chin is the main problem - it has never looked so bad.

It's not related to my period, and even when I do breakout due to my period, it's never usually too bad at all.

When the breakout first started, I was eating a lot healthier. I've always had plenty of vegetables etc, but I cut out all the rubbish and ate a lot of fruit. Over the past week, I kind of slipped off the wagon :oops: but my skin hasn't improved at all.

I'm just not sure what to do about it. My skin also seems to be curiously dry and greasy around the t-zone. I HAVE to exfoliate daily or I can see tiny white-ish flecks after applying foundation. Also, the area around one nostril always goes weird part way through the day. It's the foundation - it kind of collects and goes a bit dry. It's bizarre, and the problem only occurs around ONE nostril.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit fed up, really. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm going to have to make an appointment with my doctor and ask to speak to a dermatologist, but there's a waiting list.

Thanks.

Comments

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Try www.dermadoctor.com . I have really had luck with this site.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • leenieleenie Posts: 194Registered Users
    Just curious, how old are you?

When I was in my early 20's, I thought I was growing out of acne, but then I started getting "different" acne along my jawline and my chin. I say different because the acne was cystic acne.

Anyway, what helped me was going to a dermatologist. He said acne in those areas is "hormonal" and needed to be treated with prescription medication. I ended up going on accutane (worked fine with little side effects) and that's what worked for me. A few years later and my skin is still good.

I'm not saying that this is the route you will have to take or that this is the only solution. I've just been there, and this is what worked for me.

So, I definitely recommend speaking with your doctor/dermatologist about it.

Good luck!
    "Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it" ~ Bill Cosby
  • lafeistlafeist Posts: 72Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe you are exfoliating too often. It could be drying out your skin. Added any new products or ingredients to your routine? Any new acne treatments? Glycolic and salicylic acid as well as topical vitamin c can be very drying.
    Mostly 3B with some 3C. Faves :Sap Moss co and a weekly Sap Moss shampoo.
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    Thanks for your replies. :) I'm 21 and I seem to be getting cystic acne and general pimples.

I'm not using any acids or topical vitamin C on my face. I don't want to have to exfoliate daily, but if I just apply foundation, my skin looks like it needs to be exfoliated first. I use a Body Shop facial exfoliater - the seaweed one, I think.

I will book an appointment. I hope they give me something good - I've tried a lotion and pills before and they didn't work. I've tried the contraceptive pill too, but that only dried out my skin. I'd love to not have to view foundation as an absolute essential.
  • jujubeecurlycuejujubeecurlycue Posts: 24Registered Users
    Acne on the chin is a result of hormone fluctuations. Do you take Birth control (if not, that might help regulate it). I suffered form the same problem when I was 22. What helped me was birthcontrol and exfoliation. I used this face wash by Obagi called Exfoderm. It helped my skin so much. I still use it once or twice a week (if I use it too much now it's a little drying).
    I used to take birth control, but didn't notice much difference in my skin, except for it being drier. In some ways that was good, as it stopped the oiliness, but my cheeks were so dry. Even before going on the pill, my skin was not nearly as bad as this. :cry: Thanks for your input. :)
    I went out and bought some acne stuff. I got a Clearasil cleanser for sensitive skin (contains salicylic acid). I also got Clearasil ultra cream, which contains hydrogen peroxide to use on small areas. Lastly, I got Oxy On the Spot, to use overnight on individual evil spots. That has Benzoyl Peroxide in. Just from using the stuff for one day, I think my skin has improved slightly.
  • stars629stars629 Posts: 84Registered Users
    Mip, have you checked out http://www.acne.org ? It seems that easy regimen has worked for many :)
    3a

Faves: Deva One C, Spiral Curls Cream, NECL, Aura Hypoallergenic, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl
    B&A Gel + AG Recoil + CurlKeeper
    stars629 wrote:
    Mip, have you checked out http://www.acne.org ? It seems that easy regimen has worked for many :)

Thanks. :D That's a great site.

To update: it's been just over a week, and I've had no new breakouts. On the downside, my skin has been incredibly dry and flaky, but has still managed to be oily in other places. I'm keeping on with the products though - I'm just stepping up the moisturiser. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to see how things go.
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    I have been reading this thread with interest as I too have been having very bad breakouts on my chin for the last 3/4 weeks.
    I had been doing OCM for a couple of months & it really seemed to be evening out my skin & getting rid of red marks, but suddenly I got quite a few painful lumps which I hadn't had this bad for years!
    I usually only get a couple of spots just before my period which soon clear up.
    So Ive stopped OCM & have decided to try this regime too.

So just want to say thanks Mip for starting this thread & thanks Stars for suggesting this site. :D

I have used BP before but rather sporadically & only on individual spots. Anyway I will give this regime a try.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    I have been reading this thread with interest as I too have been having very bad breakouts on my chin for the last 3/4 weeks.
    I had been doing OCM for a couple of months & it really seemed to be evening out my skin & getting rid of red marks, but suddenly I got quite a few painful lumps which I hadn't had this bad for years!
    I usually only get a couple of spots just before my period which soon clear up.
    So Ive stopped OCM & have decided to try this regime too.

So just want to say thanks Mip for starting this thread & thanks Stars for suggesting this site. :D

I have used BP before but rather sporadically & only on individual spots. Anyway I will give this regime a try.

I'm on the regimen right now. It's taking longer than I hoped it would, but my skin was AWFUL so I know success won't be overnight. Please let us know how it goes if you do try it, and good luck! I hope it works for you!!
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
    curly princess, how long have you been on the regimen and did you have cystic acne? thanks!
    3a

Faves: Deva One C, Spiral Curls Cream, NECL, Aura Hypoallergenic, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl
    I've been on the regimen for a little over 5 weeks now. I hardly ever get cystic acne, but I have really persistant acne. On each cheek I have a patch where it's just like clumps of zits, all red and inflamed, plus I have scattered zits all around my face.

If you want more info, feel free to pm me! Are you on the regimen, stars? Maybe we can form a support group! :)
    PW- frenchfries

i pmed you curly princess :D totally a great idea about the support group.

question-- is ya'lls acne more hormonal (like being a teenager) or is it adult acne? thanks!
    3a

stars629 wrote:
    question-- is ya'lls acne more hormonal (like being a teenager) or is it adult acne? thanks!

Mine is adult acne, Im 38 so I really thought I would have grown out of it by now! Thats why I thought OCM would be so good as most other treatments are so drying, but one good thing is that Dans' regime says to use moisturiser, which I usually only use in the morning (oil free) so I'm going to load that on in the hope that I won't dry out my skin too much.
    I usually only get it on my chin with the odd spot on my cheek.

I have good months & bad months but I think my spots are cystic, I get lumps which sometimes come to a head & sometimes not, & yes I do squeeze if they get a head, which then seems to help them clear up.

I can't connect getting spots with diet or lifestyle, they just seem to 'happen' when they feel like it. Probably hormonal then?

Hope you will all keep updating on how you are getting on, if i can help anyone else please just ask. :)
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    The regime described on the site sounds interesting, but I'm a bit concerned as my tube of Benzoyl Peroxide says that it can't be used continuously for longer than a month. What do you think?

The regime does look very interesting though. I think my cleanser, combined with the BP is drying my skin out too much (white flaky moustache is not a good look) so I'm exfoliating a bit and keeping up with the BP instead, for now.

My skin feels a bit better today, moisture-wise. If it wasn't for the red marks left by the spots, my skin would look pretty good. They are pretty easy to cover up, but it would be nice get rid of them. I read that they take a few months or so to vanish, but does anyoen have any tips for getting rid of them sooner?

Thanks. :D
    MIP Have looked at my tube of BP & it doesn't contain any warnings except to keep away from eyes.

I have just been reading this thread http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52210

& this link
    http://www.absoluteacneinfo.com/benzoyl-peroxide/benzoyl-side-effects.html

I had never heard of this before & it doesn't say how big the risk is, don't think it will put me off using the BPjust yet.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Mip wrote:
    The regime described on the site sounds interesting, but I'm a bit concerned as my tube of Benzoyl Peroxide says that it can't be used continuously for longer than a month. What do you think?

The regime does look very interesting though. I think my cleanser, combined with the BP is drying my skin out too much (white flaky moustache is not a good look) so I'm exfoliating a bit and keeping up with the BP instead, for now.

My skin feels a bit better today, moisture-wise. If it wasn't for the red marks left by the spots, my skin would look pretty good. They are pretty easy to cover up, but it would be nice get rid of them. I read that they take a few months or so to vanish, but does anyoen have any tips for getting rid of them sooner?

Thanks. :D

Mip, what percent is your BP? The regimen works much better with a lower concentration. 2.5% is recommended. 10% always dried out my skin like you talked about. They also recommend you start out slowly with the BP so your skin doesn't dry out. There are really very few risks with using BP (link).

Red marks are really frustrating, I know. Neutrogena makes a Red Mark Fading peel that looks like it has potentional. I have it but am not using it right now because that combined with BP dried out my skin, BADLY. My face was red and burning. I've been using a mask made of egg whites and a squirt of lemon juice (from a real lemon) that seems to be helping. If you want specifics, I can give them to you. Also, there was a thread a while back here that may help.

My acne is hormonal, I guess, because I am still a teenager, but I'm 17 and it continues to get worse as I age.

And thanks for the pm stars! :D
    PW- frenchfries

Mip,
    you should switch face cleansers. if you are using one that is too drying along with BP it will make your skin flake. (i know from experience hehe) Try using B&BW's True Blue Spa Good Clean Foam- it's really really gentle, and it will let your face keep most of the moisture.
    Also, what moisturizer are you using?
    thanks for ur pm curly princess!
    3a

Thanks for the links, Curly Alexa. :D The tube I have didn't specify the risks. I might talk to a pharmacist and see what they say. It might just be that the BP can be drying.

curly-princess - I am using 2.5% BP. To be precise, I'm using Oxy On the Spot. :) The fading peel sounds very interesting. I really hate the red marks. I hate taking my make up off at night and seeing all those red dots on my chin. Thanks for the info. :D

stars629 - I think I will have to stop using the cleanser. It's the Clearasil 3-in-1 wash for sensitive skin. It contains salicylic acid, which might be too much for me. I was also using a Clearasil cream with salicylic acid and hydrogen peroxide in the mornings, and that was probably too much too. :lol: I'm not sure if I can get that foam you recommend in England, but I'll look it up and see. As for moisturiser, I'm using a sample of Clinique's Defence moisturiser. It got great reviews on MUA. I'm also using up a tub of Body Shop's vitamin E cream. I'm literally slathering it on at night. I guess I should change to a more gentle cleanser. I'm just worried that I'll break out, even though my current regime is leaving my skin too dry. Thanks for your advice. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file