CurlTalk

Deva Cuts

Okay, I just have to ask, been wanting to for a while. What makes Deva Cuts so special that they should cost $100 or more? I mean what do they actually DO to your hair? Is it just a form of layering? The tools they use? Thanks.
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Comments

  • StruttsWifeStruttsWife Posts: 819Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Prices depend on where and to whom you go. I do Deva cuts and I can assure you I don't charge anywhere near $100. You can't command those kinds of prices here in St. Petersburg. However, if you are in NYC and you are affiliated with a salon like Devachan, you can ask for and receive $100+ for a Deva cut.

    The reason they are so special is that they treat each curl as an individual entity during the cut ... the curls are not lumped together and cut wet so you can't see how they flow and move. The result is a much more striking (and maintainable) style that respects your natural curl pattern.
    - Tiffany
    Hair Stylist and Curly Hair Specialist - St. Petersburg, FL (Tampa Bay)

    Blog: Live Curly, Live Free
    Facebook fan page: Live Curly Live Free

    Sulfate- and non-water soluble silicone-free since 04/22/2002
    3B, brunette: medium texture, low porosity, high density

  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    Here in st. louis, deva cuts cost about $40 and up. I haven't gotten one yet, but from the way people rave about them, i'm willing to pay that much. (next month.. i'm excited!)
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album


    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    ooo
  • mishka267mishka267 Posts: 162Registered Users
    shellynot wrote: »
    Here in st. louis, deva cuts cost about $40 and up. I haven't gotten one yet, but from the way people rave about them, i'm willing to pay that much. (next month.. i'm excited!)

    who are you going to? I went to Christopher's and Holly cut my hair. She's pretty good. She charges $35 or $40 for a Devacut.
    3A, with some 2A underneath
    Currently using: Deva Low Poo, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jessicurl Confident Coils, Biolage Gelee.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmishka267%2Fmy-messy-mop%2F" class="Popup

    PC05.jpg
  • csbcsb Posts: 225Registered Users
    They keep changing he devachan site, so I can't find the listing of deva-trained stylists anymore. Can someone post the link?
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    mishka267 wrote: »
    shellynot wrote: »
    Here in st. louis, deva cuts cost about $40 and up. I haven't gotten one yet, but from the way people rave about them, i'm willing to pay that much. (next month.. i'm excited!)

    who are you going to? I went to Christopher's and Holly cut my hair. She's pretty good. She charges $35 or $40 for a Devacut.

    I think i'm going to go to Oliver's Studio and get a cut from Natalie or Susie (/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oliversstudio.com" class="Popup). I've never been, but i kind of researched from websites online and thats who i want. I'll definitely post on how it goes!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album


    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I was just curious, because I used to have co-workers who were single and could afford to spend like $150 a month on their hair. But being a working Mom with twin 9yr old boys I can't afford to spend what I consider a trip to the grocery store on my hair. :sad1: However I did find two salons on that site that do deva cuts and are in the next city over from me. I think I'm going to at least call and see what they charge. Btw, how often does one need to get it done? My hair grows an inch a month and so when people have told me "about every 6-8wks" I'm more like an every 4-6wks otherwise my hair just won't style. But I would love to get my hair to look like that one gals...hmmm jerseycurl?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

    password: curly

    3B w/3A underneath

    Medium texture
    Average porosity

    Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

    Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I was just curious, because I used to have co-workers who were single and could afford to spend like $150 a month on their hair. But being a working Mom with twin 9yr old boys I can't afford to spend what I consider a trip to the grocery store on my hair. :sad1: However I did find two salons on that site that do deva cuts and are in the next city over from me. I think I'm going to at least call and see what they charge. Btw, how often does one need to get it done? My hair grows an inch a month and so when people have told me "about every 6-8wks" I'm more like an every 4-6wks otherwise my hair just won't style. But I would love to get my hair to look like that one gals...hmmm jerseycurl?

    I believe it's every 4 - 6 months. So in your case, maybe every 3 months. :dontknow:
  • TLC CurlsTLC Curls Posts: 6Registered Users
    I just had my first Deva Cut at a salon in Maryland called Mane Tamer done by Marty. He was great. He trained in New York at the Devachan Salan with Lorraine Massey. He explained the entire cut to me while cutting it dry and then flipped my hair upside down to cut again for pieces he missed as well as reshaping/cutting a third time after washing and styling. He used all Deva Curl products and styled using special clips. My hair looked so great when I left the salon and stayed that way for 3 days after never moving. I have to master the way he clipped and styled, but I loved it so much. I went to get a fuller look because my curls seemed to be flatter and thinner than they used to be. I was depressed at my curl pattern change after I had children. He brought it back to life for me. I am much happier and hope that it continues to grow out nicely. The cut was $90 but I got a 20% discount for my first cut. I will go back!
    Favorite Products now: Deva Curl Low-Poo and no-Poo

    Conditioners: Sauve Coconut Conditioner, Deva Curl One-Condition, Tresemme Vitamin E Enriched Moisturizing Conditioner

    Leave in: Deva Curl B-Leave-in

    Gels/Mousse: Joico Joi-Whip Mousse, Deva Curl Angel Gel, Biolage Gelee, Naturelle-Volumex
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    TLC Curls wrote: »
    I just had my first Deva Cut at a salon in Maryland called Mane Tamer done by Marty. He was great. He trained in New York at the Devachan Salan with Lorraine Massey. He explained the entire cut to me while cutting it dry and then flipped my hair upside down to cut again for pieces he missed as well as reshaping/cutting a third time after washing and styling. He used all Deva Curl products and styled using special clips. My hair looked so great when I left the salon and stayed that way for 3 days after never moving. I have to master the way he clipped and styled, but I loved it so much. I went to get a fuller look because my curls seemed to be flatter and thinner than they used to be. I was depressed at my curl pattern change after I had children. He brought it back to life for me. I am much happier and hope that it continues to grow out nicely. The cut was $90 but I got a 20% discount for my first cut. I will go back!

    Where in Maryland is Mane Tamer?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aoedecmjaoedecmj Posts: 85Registered Users
    Keep in mind that the price is high, but you can wait twice as long between cuts, if not more. IMO, it balances out.
    CG since 10/5/08
    Faux Red-head since 1997 - recent henna head
    3a/2b
    CoWash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Conditioners: L'Oreal Vivre Pro Nutrigloss
    Winter Stylers: KCKT, KCCC, FOTE, BRHG, Boots
    Summer products I'm missing: CK, re:Coil, Tweek
    Techniques: single plop, pixiecurl diffuse

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faoedecmj%2F" class="Popup
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    deleted

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Prices depend on where and to whom you go. I do Deva cuts and I can assure you I don't charge anywhere near $100. You can't command those kinds of prices here in St. Petersburg. However, if you are in NYC and you are affiliated with a salon like Devachan, you can ask for and receive $100+ for a Deva cut.

    The reason they are so special is that they treat each curl as an individual entity during the cut ... the curls are not lumped together and cut wet so you can't see how they flow and move. The result is a much more striking (and maintainable) style that respects your natural curl pattern.

    Well, maybe that's what a devacut is supposed to be, but that's not what I got the 3 times I tried it. :spiderman: I went to 2 different certified stylists and both of them grabbed curls in chunks and cut. Neither one picked up each curl and trimmed it. :( That is why I gave up on trying devacuts. The only exception will be if I get out to see SW in FL! :flower:

    One stylist charges over $100, and the other charges around $55. For what I got, it wasn't worth it.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I pay $65 in Minneapolis and Chicago suburbs.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    Wow. You guys are getting a deal - my last Devacut was $100 in Studio City. I do think it was worth the price but I haven't been back in little under a year because it's a bit further from me now.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    The cuts at Devachan salon in NYC are expensive. I get my hair cut in MA by a Deva certified stylist and it costs $55.00. The cuts are special. I got a real cut (more than 1") a year ago and I still have the shape. I've had 2 trims since then, one just this weekend
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I pay $70 - also in Massachusetts but my hair grows out nicely and I can get by with 3 cuts a year tops. So for me $210 a year is not bad when I consider when I had my hair very short cut/style I was getting trims every 4-6 weeks at $35 a cut.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,089Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Prices depend on where and to whom you go. I do Deva cuts and I can assure you I don't charge anywhere near $100. You can't command those kinds of prices here in St. Petersburg. However, if you are in NYC and you are affiliated with a salon like Devachan, you can ask for and receive $100+ for a Deva cut.

    The reason they are so special is that they treat each curl as an individual entity during the cut ... the curls are not lumped together and cut wet so you can't see how they flow and move. The result is a much more striking (and maintainable) style that respects your natural curl pattern.

    Well, maybe that's what a devacut is supposed to be, but that's not what I got the 3 times I tried it. :spiderman: I went to 2 different certified stylists and both of them grabbed curls in chunks and cut. Neither one picked up each curl and trimmed it. :( That is why I gave up on trying devacuts. The only exception will be if I get out to see SW in FL! :flower:

    One stylist charges over $100, and the other charges around $55. For what I got, it wasn't worth it.

    it makes sense that each deva stylist varies greatly from each other -- some had training years ago when they did two long weekends of training. those trained in more recent years go to a 3 hour class. you may learn how to cut an individual curl in 3 hours, but how do you deal with a head of hair that has different types of curls, different spring patterns and grow at different rates? that takes more training and TALENT.
    in my opinion, deva trained stylists are like all stylists, all professions, some are great, some are good, and some you should beware of!!
    that is why it is so important to get recommendations if you can. the best way is if you are lucky to see someone with a great haircut and ask them.
    having said all that, i do think a well trained, talented deva stylist is the way to go. it's just a matter of finding the good amongst the good & bad.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • TLC CurlsTLC Curls Posts: 6Registered Users
    The Mane Tamer is on Reisterstown Road in Maryland. I think that area is considered Owings Mills, right off of 695. I love your hair. I only wish I could get mine to look that good!! I have to post a picture. I just signed up yesterday and haven't had a chance yet.
    Favorite Products now: Deva Curl Low-Poo and no-Poo

    Conditioners: Sauve Coconut Conditioner, Deva Curl One-Condition, Tresemme Vitamin E Enriched Moisturizing Conditioner

    Leave in: Deva Curl B-Leave-in

    Gels/Mousse: Joico Joi-Whip Mousse, Deva Curl Angel Gel, Biolage Gelee, Naturelle-Volumex
  • TLC CurlsTLC Curls Posts: 6Registered Users
    I would love to know how the deva cut grows out and if they do anything different on a 2nd deva cut versus the first?
    Favorite Products now: Deva Curl Low-Poo and no-Poo

    Conditioners: Sauve Coconut Conditioner, Deva Curl One-Condition, Tresemme Vitamin E Enriched Moisturizing Conditioner

    Leave in: Deva Curl B-Leave-in

    Gels/Mousse: Joico Joi-Whip Mousse, Deva Curl Angel Gel, Biolage Gelee, Naturelle-Volumex
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    I was just curious, because I used to have co-workers who were single and could afford to spend like $150 a month on their hair. But being a working Mom with twin 9yr old boys I can't afford to spend what I consider a trip to the grocery store on my hair. :sad1: However I did find two salons on that site that do deva cuts and are in the next city over from me. I think I'm going to at least call and see what they charge. Btw, how often does one need to get it done? My hair grows an inch a month and so when people have told me "about every 6-8wks" I'm more like an every 4-6wks otherwise my hair just won't style. But I would love to get my hair to look like that one gals...hmmm jerseycurl?
    I just got mine cut the weekend before this past one with Carlos, who used to be at Devachan and is now at Mario Diab, and gives absolutely the best cut I've ever had. But I'm in NYC, so it cost me - it was a $135 cut. Now, although my hair grows ridiculously fast, he said I can probably not have to come back to him for at least three months. Two months at the very most since my hair grows so fast. I'll try to remember to bump this thread after a couple of months to let you know how my cut is holding out, but at two to three months, I'll wind up getting my money's worth out of Carlos' cut. Even if it's only two months, that's about $67, which is dirt cheap for NYC. I know, it sucks that we're an expensive town, but I'd jump at the opportunity to have such a fantastic cut for $67 a month (or less if I can go for three months) - which is how I plan to look at it! ;-)
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Prices depend on where and to whom you go. I do Deva cuts and I can assure you I don't charge anywhere near $100. You can't command those kinds of prices here in St. Petersburg. However, if you are in NYC and you are affiliated with a salon like Devachan, you can ask for and receive $100+ for a Deva cut.

    The reason they are so special is that they treat each curl as an individual entity during the cut ... the curls are not lumped together and cut wet so you can't see how they flow and move. The result is a much more striking (and maintainable) style that respects your natural curl pattern.

    Well, maybe that's what a devacut is supposed to be, but that's not what I got the 3 times I tried it. :spiderman: I went to 2 different certified stylists and both of them grabbed curls in chunks and cut. Neither one picked up each curl and trimmed it. :( That is why I gave up on trying devacuts. The only exception will be if I get out to see SW in FL! :flower:

    One stylist charges over $100, and the other charges around $55. For what I got, it wasn't worth it.

    it makes sense that each deva stylist varies greatly from each other -- some had training years ago when they did two long weekends of training. those trained in more recent years go to a 3 hour class. you may learn how to cut an individual curl in 3 hours, but how do you deal with a head of hair that has different types of curls, different spring patterns and grow at different rates? that takes more training and TALENT.
    in my opinion, deva trained stylists are like all stylists, all professions, some are great, some are good, and some you should beware of!!
    that is why it is so important to get recommendations if you can. the best way is if you are lucky to see someone with a great haircut and ask them.
    having said all that, i do think a well trained, talented deva stylist is the way to go. it's just a matter of finding the good amongst the good & bad.

    I understand your point, but the 2 stylists I went to are highly recommended and were trained years ago (longer course). They are both talented master stylists. I have heard great reviews and even have a friend that goes to one and gets great cuts. It just seems that when I go in, I don't get the true devacut. :sad8: IDK why, my hair is 3b with some 3c and 3a/2 parts, layers. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to lift each defined curl and cut. But no, they don't. :(

    Like I said, I didn't hate the results, they were both good cuts, but overpriced for what I got. But I also get a great (cheaper) cut from a non-deva stylist and her cuts also grow out for 5-6 months and look great as well. So I just won't fall for the deva-hype styling anymore. :p

    I guess my point is that the devacut can be great if done in the true deva way. :) Those of you that get that are lucky! Me, not so much. ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,089Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    CurliLocks -- as long as you have a stylist who gives you great haircuts, how he/she was trained is not important, only the results are. sounds like this stylist is someone to stick with.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    CurliLocks -- as long as you have a stylist who gives you great haircuts, how he/she was trained is not important, only the results are. sounds like this stylist is someone to stick with.

    Indeed. :D In fact, I posted a thread recently about finally learning my lesson. :p This one's a keeper! :angel10:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    CurliLocks,

    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you think a true Deva cut entails having the stylist lift each curl to cut it.

    This is not the case.

    The stylist needs to see the curl in 3D, hanging in its normal relationship to the curls surrounding it, and to be able to see how it responds to the change in weight as it's cut. Neither my stylist nor any of the other Deva trained stylists at the salon I go to lift the curls as they cut them. They can also cut a series of curls very quickly, one at a time, one after another in rapid succession, with lovely results.

    Traditional haircutting, in which the goal is to make the hair perfectly even when straight (a state my hair is never in except when it's sopping wet and someone is tugging on it), does require the stylist to lift the hair and pull it taunt to try to achieve that. I think that's one reason curlies often get scalped when we have traditional haircuts -- it's just not possible with two hands to hold the hair on both sides of the head and a pair of scissors and cut at the same time, so the hairdresser ends up going back again and again trying to "even up" what will never be straight at any other time. Add jump (sometimes called shrinkage) on to that and the results of overcutting really add up to disaster.

    Considering the number of times I left traditional hairdressers' in tears, having the stylist lift my hair when she cuts it is something I gladly forego.
    Peace,
    Morgan

    Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    CurliLocks,

    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you think a true Deva cut entails having the stylist lift each curl to cut it.

    This is not the case.

    The stylist needs to see the curl in 3D, hanging in its normal relationship to the curls surrounding it, and to be able to see how it responds to the change in weight as it's cut. Neither my stylist nor any of the other Deva trained stylists at the salon I go to lift the curls as they cut them. They can also cut a series of curls very quickly, one at a time, one after another in rapid succession, with lovely results.

    Traditional haircutting, in which the goal is to make the hair perfectly even when straight (a state my hair is never in except when it's sopping wet and someone is tugging on it), does require the stylist to lift the hair and pull it taunt to try to achieve that. I think that's one reason curlies often get scalped when we have traditional haircuts -- it's just not possible with two hands to hold the hair on both sides of the head and a pair of scissors and cut at the same time, so the hairdresser ends up going back again and again trying to "even up" what will never be straight at any other time. Add jump (sometimes called shrinkage) on to that and the results of overcutting really add up to disaster.

    Considering the number of times I left traditional hairdressers' in tears, having the stylist lift my hair when she cuts it is something I gladly forego.

    Thank you for trying to clarify that for me. :) I understand that's how it should be done. But that's not what was done on my head. They actually did lift chunks (think handfuls) of hair up off the head (not straight up, but away from the rest) and cut it, sometimes wrapping the curls into one over the hand and cutting, like a wet cut. I have 3b/c hair, so that would be many many curls in one handful cut. I saw them in the mirror. That's why I was disappointed. Although they were supposed to be the deva way, for some reason they chose not to cut it that way. :? I imagined that they would sculpt the curls in place, like shaping a hedge. (my old stylist in Germany used to call it that). :D

    But it doesn't matter, because my hair looks much better with the non-deva but wonderful stylist I did find. :D
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.