proposed psf routine - rcw?

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
hey rcw, please take a look at my proposed routine w/ my psf products that i just purchased. i didn't buy the microdermabrasion crystals from them or the other site you mentioned because i have a whole olay kit that is working that i am going to use up...please let me know your thoughts, i'm posting in the public forum in case anyone else can benefit from this info. also thanks in advance for all your help. i've finally gotten to the point where i'm willing to toss the other stuff for something that really works not just at keeping pimples away but also making my skin great!

Morning:
- Gentle Cleansing Castile
- BHA 2% Solution
- Balancing Oil (do you think i can wear this under makeup without it running?)

Night:
- Vitamin C Serum (how often should i use this?)

Special:
- MicroCrystal Resurfacing Cream (2-3 times per week)
- H.A. Serum (just thinking of using this on the nights i don't use the vita c, it seems repetitive to use both, do you agree?)

also - i still have tazorac for chemical exfoliation and tri-luma for spots. what are you thoughts for how i should incorporate these into my routine. an esthician suggested i use the tazorac every other night so i don't get too much peeling but a steady amount of exfoliation. i'm hoping once my skin clears i won't need the tri-luma as much but right now i have about 4-6 dark marks from big bad pimples i got since dec. would i use tri-luma and vita c?
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    hey rcw, please take a look at my proposed routine w/ my psf products that i just purchased. i didn't buy the microdermabrasion crystals from them or the other site you mentioned because i have a whole olay kit that is working that i am going to use up...please let me know your thoughts, i'm posting in the public forum in case anyone else can benefit from this info. also thanks in advance for all your help. i've finally gotten to the point where i'm willing to toss the other stuff for something that really works not just at keeping pimples away but also making my skin great!

Morning:
    - BHA 2% Solution
    - Balancing Oil (do you think i can wear this under makeup without it running?)

Night:
    - Vitamin C Serum (how often should i use this?)

Special:
    - MicroCrystal Resurfacing Cream (2-3 times per week)
    - H.A. Serum (just thinking of using this on the nights i don't use the vita c, it seems repetitive to use both, do you agree?)

also - i still have tazorac for chemical exfoliation and tri-luma for spots. what are you thoughts for how i should incorporate these into my routine. an esthician suggested i use the tazorac every other night so i don't get too much peeling but a steady amount of exfoliation. i'm hoping once my skin clears i won't need the tri-luma as much but right now i have about 4-6 dark marks from big bad pimples i got since dec. would i use tri-luma and vita c?

Vit C should be used as an AM product. In addition to the lightening effects, it also gives skin a nice glow, which you should take advantage of for daytime, plus it offers some protection against sun damage (although it's NOT a replacement for sun protection).

Tri-Luma works nice to lighten spots, but it's not really needed every day. Since it's got tretinoin in it, you probably don't want to use it on the days you use Tazorac (another tretinoin product). Once you have faded your spots, you can cut back on the Tri-Luma to once a week for maintenance or as needed.

HA works nicely with oils, so if you are worried about the balancing oil being too much, mix it with the HA (in the palm of your hand as you need it...tiny blob of HA, 2 drops of oil, mix together and apply) and it will help the oil sink into the skin better. You should use the oil/HA whenever you feel you need moisturizer, but don't feel compelled to always use it if you aren't feeling dry.

So, your routine would look like this:

AM
    Clease with PSF castile
    wipe off any flakey skin with microfiber washcloth
    Vit C (wait 10 minutes)
    Tri-Luma on spots (every other day - then weekly for maintenance)
    balancing oil w/HA - if needed
    Makeup

PM
    Cleanse with PSF castile
    BHA (wait 30 minutes)
    Tazorac (every other night)
    balancing oil w/HA - if needed
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

i can't wait to get my products!! btw, i have a clarisonic so hopefully the flakeys will come off with that.
    rcw and others...is there enough room in the vit c bottle to pour in the antioxidant? how do you combine the two for facial application?
    rcw and others...is there enough room in the vit c bottle to pour in the antioxidant? how do you combine the two for facial application?

Yeah, it fits in there. Just pour it right in.
    thanks! again
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    I have some questions now about my routine:

Right now I'm:

1. Wash with PSF castile
    2. SA (wait 30 minutes)
    3. Emu oil and HA

I just ordered the Vit C to hopefully clear up some acne scars. How would that fit into my routine?

Thanks-- I'm LOVING the SA! I'm getting some period pimples right now that usually last for days, but I just put this SA on and they've cleared up really quickly! Soo much better than any SA ointment from the drugstore:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lilah wrote: »

Right now I'm:

1. Wash with PSF castile
    2. SA (wait 30 minutes)
    3. Emu oil and HA

I just ordered the Vit C to hopefully clear up some acne scars. How would that fit into my routine?

Thanks-- I'm LOVING the SA! I'm getting some period pimples right now that usually last for days, but I just put this SA on and they've cleared up really quickly! Soo much better than any SA ointment from the drugstore:)

do you use the 2% or 5% bha?

i'm sure rcw will weigh in but it sounds like we have virtually the same products. did you see her recommendation for me above. vit c in the morning and salicylic acid in the evening

Right now I'm:

1. Wash with PSF castile
    2. SA (wait 30 minutes)
    3. Emu oil and HA

Vit C is best used in the mornings:

AM
    Cleanse
    Vit C (wait 10)
    emu/HA

PM
    Cleanse
    SA (wait 30)
    emu/HA

Altertatively, if you want to use SA twice a day, your AM routine would be:

AM
    Cleanse
    SA (wait 30)
    Vit C (wait 10)
    emu/HA
    rcw do you recommend using the bha twice a day if you're using the vit c? is that overkill. for me since i have tazorac would you just advise once a day? also i have the 2% is that enough? should i get the 5%.

last question (for now) :wink: should my skin be damp or dry when i apply the vit c or the bha as directed in my routine?
    rcw do you recommend using the bha twice a day if you're using the vit c? is that overkill. for me since i have tazorac would you just advise once a day? also i have the 2% is that enough? should i get the 5%.

last question (for now) :wink: should my skin be damp or dry when i apply the vit c or the bha as directed in my routine?

Depends on how much exfoliation you want/need. If you're doing OK with 2% once a day, that's enough. If you want more exfoliation, still getting pimples, you can use it twice a day. If you still want to kick it up, you can move up to 5% either once or twice a day. There is no right or wrong, but it's always better to start a little slower than to jump into an advanced routine and experience irritation. And, yes, since you're using Tazorac, once a day with 2% is probably plenty for you right now.
    okay thanks for the advice. i'm probably becoming a little obsessed about my skin but it's just not cooperating. something happened around the holidays and i'm still dealing with the effects (dark spots) and lingering pimples...i just want clear skin!!! i'm happy i'm following your advice about the cleansers. i've donated my old cleansers at the gym....somone always takes stuff if you leave it in the common areas...i'm going to follow your suggestion for 30 days no matter what and hope to see some major improvements! thanks again!!
    Awesome-- thanks so much!!
    You are saving me the chore of finding out if a derm is covered by my husband's insurance, finding a derm and then waiting for an appt from the derm to clear up my skin. (And you know how Rx always make the skin worse before it gets better...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lilah, do you use the 2% or 5% bha? also is the pcf one a liquid or gel consistency?
    I just started so I got the 2%; I'll probably get the 5% on the next go around. I put my skin through all sorts of topical and oral acne meds for years so I'm sure it can handle the 5%.

I don't know what pcf is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thanks i meant psf = pure skin formulations. i thought that was the brand you had/used. that's the brand i ordered all my stuff from.
    Oh okay...yes, I use psf castile cleanser. I guess you would call it a liquid consistency. It's very concentrated though, I don't use very much at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    lilah, do you use the 2% or 5% bha? also is the psf one a liquid or gel consistency?

PSF BHA is a liquid that comes in a dropper bottle. I used the 5% and really like it. I like better than DY and Paula's brands.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    What is PSF?
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    What is PSF?

Pure Skin Formulations
    Luvmylocs,
    Oh geeze-- I just now figured out you were asking about the SA not the cleanser...sorry for my odd response:confused1:

The PSF SA is in a dropper like windflower mentioned, but it doesn't have a dropper like emu oil or Vitamin C. It isn't gel-like at all-- just liquid.

does this answer your question better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Windflower wrote: »
    lilah, do you use the 2% or 5% bha? also is the psf one a liquid or gel consistency?

PSF BHA is a liquid that comes in a dropper bottle. I used the 5% and really like it. I like better than DY and Paula's brands.

great! thank you! i can not wait for my products to get here...come, come, come :):)

i'll probably get the 5% next time.

no worries, lilah. that makes sense. i've heard bha is best in a liquid anyway...

thanks girls....
    my products are here!!!!!

it feels like christmas!

did you girls (windflower & lilah) toss everything BUT your psf products? i kind of feel like i should only use the psf to get maximum benefits. what do y'all think?
    i only use PSF products. i still have the wheat germ cleanser from DY, but i rarely use it. i have some other products, but i just use them on my body. for example: the DY BHA and vit c, i use on my elbows and feet.

i have a lactic acid BHA combo that i now just use on my neck.

i trashed the PB cleanser and no longer use PB benzoyle(misspelled) peroxide. it is going to the trash soon.

i just looked in the mirror and the places where i have no pigmentation look as if i am wearing makeup because it is so smooth and creamy looking...i love looking in the mirror...:tongue5:
    I think I was almost done with my old facial cleanser when the PSF one came. My husband ran out of face wash and now he uses the PSF one too:)

I still have old face lotion hanging around-- not really sure why. I should probably do something about that.

Windflower-- what does it look like to not have pigmentation? I guess I'm confused on what that means. What product are you using for that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Windflower-- what does it look like to not have pigmentation? I guess I'm confused on what that means. What product are you using for that?

like casper! :tongue5:

no, i meant the parts of my face without dark spots left from healed pimples. i am using Vit C, 5% BHA, micro crystals and retin-a.
    windflower i looked up propylene glycol and it's supposedly just a humectant. i know you said you didn't want to use the booster because of what it had in it...i looked up the ingredient in my cosmetic ingredients book....i can get the specific ingredient description if you're interested let me know.
    products with a lot of propylene glycol irritate my skin. if it is low on the list, i seem to do OK. so not to contaminate the Vit C and to test whether or not it would irritate me, i decided not to use it.
    Windflower wrote: »
    products with a lot of propylene glycol irritate my skin. if it is low on the list, i seem to do OK. so not to contaminate the Vit C and to test whether or not it would irritate me, i decided not to use it.

gotcha....i'm torn...to add or not add. for now i'll try it without. the site says it's a vit c booster so i don't know if it'll make that much of a difference...
    i'm glad you understand what i trying to say in that awfully worded sentence! :tongue5:

i just reread it, and i thought to myself...huh?

yep, i put the booster in my DY Vit C. Perhaps it is mental, but i seemed to itch a bit when i used it again. the DY Vit C is now used on elbows, knees and feet. :)
    oh my i used my old paula's choice bha on my feet and they are so so soft!! wow!! it was great!

ok i don't want to jinx it but day one of the my psf products and i'm in love!!!!!!

on more question....if i want to use a toner after cleaning but before applying my products can i do that? i like a little toner...does it mess up the results?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file