CurlTalk

Overweight and pregnant

DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
Have you been in this situation and if so how did you deal.

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I guess it depends on what you mean by overweight. With my first pregnancy, no. The second time, I was overweight to start out with by my standards, but I was within the range for my height. I didn't really do anything terribly different from the first time, but I ended up gaining less (30# vs. 60). I also had a smaller baby and lost the weight much faster and easier after she was born. This time, I was probably 10 pounds over my range, and 30 pounds above where I'd like to be. So far, I've gained 7#. I am watching the quality of what I eat, but not so much the quantity- if I'm hungry, I eat, but I try to eat frozen fruit (berries or grapes) or a smoothie instead of ice cream, etc., things like that. I have a decent sized belly, but I am still wearing many of my pre pregnancy pants (the low rise ones, anyway), and I think they are fitting a little looser through the thighs and hips. Baby's growing well, so I think I'm doing ok.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I was around 8 pounds more than I should have been when I got pregnant this time, so it has not been significant with this pregnancy

Anyway, I wanted to share a great link:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plus-size-pregnancy.org%2F" class="Popup

Really terrific information not just for plus-sized women but for every pregnant woman. The author is a mom and childbirth educator.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I actually lost 20 lbs while pregnant (I was about 50 overweight at the time I got pregnant). I also had morning sickness for 7 1/2 months...I don't recommend that!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Before I had kids I weighed 120 lbs (at 5'3" small to medium size frame) and wore a size 4. Now that I've had 2 kids, I weigh 140 lbs and wear size 8.

I carry my weight so that I'm not wide, but have a big butt and a little pooch in my tummy. So I don't really appear overweight unless you look at me from the side (does that even make any sense or have I put a little too much thought into it?). Anyway, I haven't gained any weight this first trimester and although the idea of gaining another 40 lbs sort of makes me cringe, I know that I'll bounce right back to at least this size in no time. I can work my way down to "normal" after I reach that goal.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »
    I was around 8 pounds more than I should have been when I got pregnant this time, so it has not been significant with this pregnancy

Anyway, I wanted to share a great link:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plus-size-pregnancy.org%2F" class="Popup

Really terrific information not just for plus-sized women but for every pregnant woman. The author is a mom and childbirth educator.

Thanks for the link :love1:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I've always been a round-ish woman (30-40 pounds over what the stupid charts say). It wasn't a problem for pregnancy...I just got a little rounder. I usually dropped the weight within a few months and went back to *my* normal weight after delivery.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
    I've always been a round-ish woman (30-40 pounds over what the stupid charts say). It wasn't a problem for pregnancy...I just got a little rounder. I usually dropped the weight within a few months and went back to *my* normal weight after delivery.

Ditto this. I gained 20 during pregnancy and then quickly dropped 30 afterwards. I'm back up the (stupid!) 10 pounds now at almost 7 months.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog