Starting CG tomorrow...

I read Lorraine Massey's book and tomorrow I'm going to wash my hair with Suave Clarifying Shampoo to get the cones out and then I'm going to try CG. Should I wean myself off of shampoo or should I go cold turkey. I do have some Jessicurl Gentle Lathering Shampoo. I was just wondering if I should go like every other day shampooing and slowly dwindle it down?
TIA!
CG since 6/18/09

Comments

• JamieVJamieV Posts: 158Registered Users
    After clairifying, I would go cold turkey.
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy
  • fallchildfallchild Posts: 16Registered Users
    Thanks!
    Ok, another question...do you wash every day with co, or just like once a week?
    CG since 6/18/09
    What is your hair type? I am a wavy, so I do modified CG. I use lo-poo (sulphate free poo) on my roots & condish on the rest. I do that about about 2 times a week, maybe 3.
    When I first started CG I did not use the lo poo at all (co only), about 2 or 3 times a week also. I eventually decided as a wavy I needed some lo-poo on my roots.
    If your hair is curlier probably someone else can give you better advice for your hair type. But I think in general, most people would probably say you should not do it every day. If the 2nd day it looks bad, either wet it with a spray bottle or even water wash it in the shower. Maybe someone else can add to that or might have better advice?
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I went cold turkey but it took some time for me to find the right combination of products and which days to CO wash. Now, I CO wash my scalp once a week, lemon rinse once a week (not on the same day as CO wash), and condition everyday rinsing most all of it out. If it feels dry (I know that sounds weird when it's wet in the shower) after rinsing I put some on back on. Conditioning everyday and rinsing it out seems to keep my hair clean. I haven't had to use shampoo at all but everyone is different.

There's a great thread on the go right now about shampooing less that you may find helpful.http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=37637

Good luck!
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • fallchildfallchild Posts: 16Registered Users
    My hair is type 3A.
    Thanks for the advice...I'm a little nervous about all of this, but desperate for my hair to look better!
    CG since 6/18/09
    Eventually, you will find what works best for you. And its worth it in the end, even though it seems like a lot to think and worry about at first. I was very stressed out when I first began because of information overload-and a few products that did not work well for me. But now my hair looks better than ever.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Eventually, you will find what works best for you. And its worth it in the end, even though it seems like a lot to think and worry about at first. I was very stressed out when I first began because of information overload-and a few products that did not work well for me. But now my hair looks better than ever.

ITA ..

When I said it took `some time`for me to figure out the right combination, I should`ve said it took me a long time. Being a recovering product junkie, I would see a product in here I would want to try and naturally I would. Once I stuck with a routine for a couple of weeks and didn`t switch my hair started to settle down.

When you find your groove, I`m sure you`ll feel the plunge was worth it. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file