Retin A questions

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I got a script of Retin A today in hopes it'll help with the breakouts I get around my chin/jawline often enough to make me wonder if I'm 14 instead of 41.

And hopefully it'll help lighten some scaring from previous dug at zits.

Maybe it'll help with some lines too.

And I definitely hope it'll help with the dry scaling flaking skin problem I have that the doc called seborrhea dermatitis, which before only was gotten rid of with Alpha Hydroxy and/or Salicylic Acid cleansers in combination with a facial scrubber "sponge" and/or the AH or SA lotions.

The Elidel my previous doc gave me for this only gave me zits where I wouldn't ever get them before, & it didn't do anything to get rid of the dermatitis.

So, the instructions for the Retin A (gel) say to use this at night.

But should the AH and/or SA cleansers and/or lotions be discontinued?

And can I still use Oil of Olay or other brands of "acid peel"?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Retin-A can cause a lot of irritation/peeling at first, so it's best if you aren't using anything else that might be skin barrier damaging. I think a non-detergent pH-neutral cleanser is essential when using Retin-A. You'll get much better results from the Retin-A if your skin barrier is in good shape.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks!

Could I use regular old fashioned lye soap, or would that be too rough? Otherwise my son has tea tree & black soaps, which seem a bit too drying to my oily-ish T zone. Or I have regular liquid hand soaps, low sulfate to no sulfate shampoos, regular & moisturizing/lotion type shower gels & body washes. I'd have to go to the store for anything else.

As for the "chemical peel" I previously mentioned, I meant "microdermabrasion". I keep getting the two mixed up. DUR
    lazy loops wrote: »
    Thanks!

Could I use regular old fashioned lye soap, or would that be too rough? Otherwise my son has tea tree & black soaps, which seem a bit too drying to my oily-ish T zone. Or I have regular liquid hand soaps, low sulfate to no sulfate shampoos, regular & moisturizing/lotion type shower gels & body washes. I'd have to go to the store for anything else.

As for the "chemical peel" I previously mentioned, I meant "microdermabrasion". I keep getting the two mixed up. DUR

I wouldn't use any of those with Retin-A. Maybe [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink] if you have it. Or one of the non-detergent pH-neutral facial cleansers I go-on-like-a-broken-record about. I definitely wouldn't use a body wash or a hand soap on my face and then not expect Retin-A to make me peel like an onion.

Retin-A should be approached S-L-O-W-L-Y...only once or twice a week at first, building up to every day.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I just want to add that you should go very slowly with the retin a and stick to very mild cleansers. I tried retin a multiple times unsuccesfully and finally decided to work up to the Rx version using Green Cream which is a high potency retinol that is available without a prescription. I had great results with the GC and now alternate GC and Retin A. I've used Mir cleanser (and loved it) for years but I just got a sample of the cleanser from PSF that has been discussed here and I'm really impressed with it so far.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.

Those are still detergents...better than the other stuff you mentioned though.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »

I don't think I've ever tried this one. The Low Poo is hard enough to rinse out of my hair, I can only imagine what the No Poo would be like.

~~~

So far so good with using any facial cleanser. The first night I tried the GL or the Low Poo. Thinking yesterday was Sunday, which is the only time I shave in the winter (summer I have to do so Weds & Sun), do dermabrasion, & shampoo & deep treat, I tried the cleanser I have in the shower, Morning Burst I think to prepare for the Olay dermabrasion. My face doesn't feel or show any signs of burn, rawness, tightness, peeling, nor anything else out of the ordinary. :cheers:

The only problem I have with the Retin A gel is it dries as soon as I put it on. I don't get a chance to spread it around or rub it in. So I bet I end up using more than necessary to cover the needed areas.

Does cream apply better?
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users

Does cream apply better?

i have 0.05% cream that is very easy to apply.

what strength of retin-a do you have?

perhaps you should apply a small dot, rub then apply a second small dot, rub and keep applying in that manner until you have covered the area.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • SAM2SAM2 Posts: 76Registered Users
    HI i also had a problem with spreading and i now mix it with one drop of emu jajoba or camilla oil. it really helps with the spreading and also helps me not to peel and get irritated. my derm suggested this.sam2
    Windflower wrote: »

Does cream apply better?

i have 0.05% cream that is very easy to apply.

what strength of retin-a do you have?

perhaps you should apply a small dot, rub then apply a second small dot, rub and keep applying in that manner until you have covered the area.

I was prescribed .025 clear gel.
    SAM2 wrote: »
    HI i also had a problem with spreading and i now mix it with one drop of emu jajoba or camilla oil. it really helps with the spreading and also helps me not to peel and get irritated. my derm suggested this.sam2

I have jojoba oil so this is good to know. Thanks! :D
    The only problem I have with the Retin A gel is it dries as soon as I put it on. I don't get a chance to spread it around or rub it in. So I bet I end up using more than necessary to cover the needed areas.

It helps if your face is slightly damp...like the amount of damp if you wet your hands lightly, shook them off and just pressed them to your face. Then, take the pea-sized dot and touch it lightly all over your face, so you have 20-30 tiny dots on your face. Then just spread them around quickly.
    It helps if your face is slightly damp...like the amount of damp if you wet your hands lightly, shook them off and just pressed them to your face. Then, take the pea-sized dot and touch it lightly all over your face, so you have 20-30 tiny dots on your face. Then just spread them around quickly.

Ah, I did not know that. Maybe it's in the instructions, which like a guy, I didn't read. :evil4:

Thanks for this tidbit!

ETA: So I tried it & it worked wonderfully, however, note to self, do NOT use a washcloth on face prior to applying Retin A. :shock: :cry:
    OK so this morning I see I now have some dryness & peeling. What do I do about that?
    OK so this morning I see I now have some dryness & peeling. What do I do about that?

Exfoliate (gently) with a washcloth...or a microfiber washcloth works better. If you start getting too dry or peely, back off a bit on the Retin-A til your skin adjusts. It might take weeks (or even months) to work up to nightly application.
    Gentle washcloth & maybe back off the Retin A. Can do!

Thank you!
    Just to add...

You want to have some level of peeling from Retin-A. That's expected...desireable even, because Retin-A increases cell turnover and that's what clears pimples and makes your skin look fresh and younger. The trick is to strike a balance of "just enough" peeling to keep you looking fresh and clear, without looking like a molting snake. It's tricky...but you'll get there. :)
    Molting snake, uh, yeah, no thanks! :lol:
    OK, so all I had on hand was a washcloth & I used it. But it didn't remove some of the dried skin. And now my face feels raw & tight. :(
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    you aren't going to be able to remove all of the dried skin in one washing. you must gentle! do you have any jojoba oil? or a gentle moisturizer?

are you using the retin-a daily or every other day?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Every night though now I'll cut it back to every other night.

I have jojoba oil. I'll use that. Thanks!
    OK, so all I had on hand was a washcloth & I used it. But it didn't remove some of the dried skin. And now my face feels raw & tight. :(

You need to be careful not to rub yourself raw. Gently...I said GENTLY! Moisturizing with something non-comedogenic right after you apply Retin-A can help also.
    I thought I was being gentle, but my hand was obviously heavier than I thought. :(

I used the jojoba oil & that made a whole world of difference! It feels so good. But now I have an oil slick on my face.
  • SAM2SAM2 Posts: 76Registered Users
    just one drop or two and gently rub until absorbed.you dont need alot at all. i usually have a "shine " for about 10 minuted but as long as i dont use to much and i gently rub in im fine. if it is oily after 10 to 20 minutes you probably used a little to much.ot rub in hands to warm and pat in skin.sam2
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Just to add...

You want to have some level of peeling from Retin-A. That's expected...desireable even, because Retin-A increases cell turnover and that's what clears pimples and makes your skin look fresh and younger. The trick is to strike a balance of "just enough" peeling to keep you looking fresh and clear, without looking like a molting snake. It's tricky...but you'll get there. :)

I've been trying for 6 months to get the right balance!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    Just to add...

I spent YEARS without getting the right balance with Retin-A. YEARS! I wish I knew then what I know now about non-detergent cleansers. I always got so irritated because my skin barrier was screwed. I have no problem with Retin-A now. I use it twice a day and wipe a few flakes off my face every morning. It's pretty much perfect. Except...

...I tried to wax off a few hairs on my upper lip a couple weeks ago. I usually scissor or pluck them, but was going through my junk drawer and came up with a wax removal kit and lost my head and used it. WELL...I keep my skin so exfoliated that apparently, I don't have any extra. I tried to be really gentle, but the wax RIPPED off my skin. I bled and scabbed, and bled and scabbed for 2 weeks. I know it was from the Retin-A. Oy...no more waxing.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Just to add...

I spent YEARS without getting the right balance with Retin-A. YEARS! I wish I knew then what I know now about non-detergent cleansers. I always got so irritated because my skin barrier was screwed. I have no problem with Retin-A now. I use it twice a day and wipe a few flakes off my face every morning. It's pretty much perfect. Except...

...I tried to wax off a few hairs on my upper lip a couple weeks ago. I usually scissor or pluck them, but was going through my junk drawer and came up with a wax removal kit and lost my head and used it. WELL...I keep my skin so exfoliated that apparently, I don't have any extra. I tried to be really gentle, but the wax RIPPED off my skin. I bled and scabbed, and bled and scabbed for 2 weeks. I know it was from the Retin-A. Oy...no more waxing.

:laughing6: I'm sure that was attractive!

I made the mistake of using exfoliating gloves on my face and neck. I looked like a burn patient.

RCW, what strength Retin-A do you use? I've been using the .10% twice a day. As long as I don't use AHA every day, I'm o.k. When I was using the AHA every day I was exfoliating too much.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    :laughing6: I'm sure that was attractive!

I made the mistake of using exfoliating gloves on my face and neck. I looked like a burn patient.

RCW, what strength Retin-A do you use? I've been using the .10% twice a day. As long as I don't use AHA every day, I'm o.k. When I was using the AHA every day I was exfoliating too much.

Oh yes, I was beautiful! LOL

I am currently using Retin-A 0.25% in the AM's just because I have some that I want to use up. I use 0.1% at night. I need to do a medsmex re-order soon and will probably go with the 0.1% for both AM and PM. Just a note: when using Retin-A in the AM, you must follow with some sort of sun protection, because Retin-A loses it's potency in sunlight very quickly (you should use sun protection anyway with Retin-A). I use mineral makeup, not sunscreen, because as everyone here knows by now, I absolutely hate sunscreens.

I use PSF's DMAE twice a day, which I absolutely love for skin firming, but it's very acidic and extremely drying so that I really can't use any other acids at this time either. If I try to use an AHA or BHA, I get all crusty. I'm living life right on the razor's edge between exfoliation and bloody.
    This morning I look like I used a tanning bed on my face only. And slept the entire time. It's red & dry, even under the jojoba oil. :crybaby:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file