Meatless recipes

CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya BannedPosts: 956Banned Users
I'm trying to come up with some new meatless recipe ideas for Lent. Today I made a Greek-style pizza from a recipe I found in Health magazine. I varied it a bit (substituted black olives for roasted yellow peppers, and feta cheese for goat cheese). It was very good, very easy to make. The recipe did not have measurements for the toppings, so I'm just guesstimating here:

prepared pizza crust (I used Pillsbury)
3/4 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup sliced black olives
baby spinach leaves
black pepper

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out pizza crust, and top with sauce, feta cheese, and black olives. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with spinach leaves.

Do you have any tried and true meatless recipes? I think we had a vegetarian thread on this board, but it must've gotten kicked off with the new format. I typically am a meat-eater, so I'm esp. interested in recipes that use meat substitutions, like Boca crumbles.
"I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    This time of year, my crock pot is my best friend! Chilli, soups & stews are all really easy to make and just substitute beans, tofu or both where you would put meat.

Protien powder is great. I'll mix it with yogurt, milk & fruit or milk & cold coffee for a breakfast smoothie.

It's also good just mixed into yogurt with some fresh berries & granola.

Any pasta recipe, just skip the meat. Again you can add tofu or fake meat, but I don't usually.

I don't like the tatse of meat, so I'm not a big fan of the fake meat products. I do like good veggie burgers though that actually taste like veggies & grians.

You can pretty much make any recipe you normally do, just omit the meat.

Check out allrecipes for recipes, they have some great stuff!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    we have a veggie recipe thread that you might enjoy.. and i would encourage you to add to it.. i'll bump it real quick :mrgreen:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    Growing up we had tuna noodle casserole or fish sticks on Fridays during lent. Very creative. ;)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Trader Joes has these chickenless strips and beefless strips in the refrigerated section (cheese, etc.) that are quite good fried with their frozen stir fry veggies. Very tasty. And I serve with a little brown rice. I'm a meat eater and love these.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    I have a question. Is there anything I can add to Boca Crumbles to give it some actual taste? I swear, everything I make with it ends up being tasteless. I add spices, but it like drains the taste out of everything I make. Or, is there another brand of faux ground meat you can recommend? I want to make a southwestern hashbrown casserole that calls for ground beef, and will end up adding spice anyway because I want to use the Campbell's cheddar soup I already have instead of buying their southwestern cheddar soup. Should I cook the meat (I mean, soy {blech}) in seasonings before baking it in the casserole? I'm thinking of using Extra Spicy Mrs. Dash, maybe some red pepper, onion salt. I'm giving up red meat, and it is way harder than I thought it would be.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file