ABBA True Curls

spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I used my sample today that I got from Curlmart and woah! I don't know if it truly was the shampoo and condish that made my hair look and feel so much better after only one use, but it looks better today than it has in a long time. (I'm way overdue for a haircut) So, that being said I've got one problem with it...the smell! It smells like a really sharp citrus smell and that's my least favorite smell. Even after putting in my styling products I can still smell it. Maybe at some point I'd buy it and give it a go for a while and possibly get used to the smell? Who knows.. The condish worked great though. I have extremely tangled, coarse hair and it didn't take much at all to detangle. Also, after the shower I always have to use a detangling spray, but this time I just combed right thru it with NO problem. That's never happened before!

Anyone else try this yet and if so, what did you think about it? I never really gave much thought to a shampoo and condish being able to make this much difference in my hair, but I guess it can! I just wish the samples were more so I could have gotten more than one use out of them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have a sample that I haven't gotten around to trying yet from curlmart too. Now I am going to try them this weekend. Thanks for your review 8)

The smell is probably lemongrass. That is what the curl activating tonic spray smells like. I don't mind the smell, but, it is very overpowering.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a sample that I haven't gotten around to trying yet from curlmart too. Now I am going to try them this weekend. Thanks for your review 8)

The smell is probably lemongrass. That is what the curl activating tonic spray smells like. I don't mind the smell, but, it is very overpowering.

Ya know...I was thinking "This smells like lemongrass.", but realized I don't think I've actually ever smelled lemongrass! :lol: So I didn't want to say and be wrong. Thanks....now I know!

Please post back and let me know what you thought about it. I really hate that the smell is so strong...I can smell it right now. ugh!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Will do :D
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I bought the Curl Activating Tonic at a store before Christmas, but returned it next day because the scent was giving me a killer headache. :x I gave away my shampoo and condish samples that Curlmart sent me. :)
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also got the sample but never tried it. Wasn't there some funky ingredients in that? is it CG? Sorry, I am not at home to check myself. But I am glad it worked for you :D
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
    Heck, I don't know what's in it, but I shampoo every day so I don't usually worry too terribly much about what's in products. :D I most likely won't try it again because I've smelled it all day though! Figures I find something I finally really like and I can't take the smell. :?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, it bugged me enough to e-mail them about it so I thought I'd share what I found out. I basically said that I loved how the product performed, but that it gave me such a bad headache I couldn't use it and how disappointed I was about it. Here was the reply:

Thanks for contacting us here at ABBA! To be honest, we have received similar feedback about the product and our formulating chemists are looking into the situation. The reason the products smell this way is due to the unique preservative system that they use.

Typically, hair care products use some sort of chemical agent like DEA or Parabens to preserve the product. These types of ingredients aren't really consistent with our Pure & Natural philosophy, so we developed a new preservative system called Biopen. Biopen is basically a combination of herbs and plant extracts, from rosemary, lemongrass and oregano that, together, act as a preservative. It is from these ingredients that the products get their smell.

Some people really don't like the fragrance and our chemists have been working on a way to tone it down. I hope that your will consider trying the products again when they succeed in improving the aroma. In the meantime, we do make several styling products for curly hair, Instant Recall, InShape and Sets, in our regular product line. These products, especially Instant Recall, are very popular with our curly haired customers and do not have the lemongrass fragrance.

Thanks again for writing us here at ABBA!

Sincerely,

Kelly deVos
    ABBA Pure & Natural Hair Care

I emailed back and asked permission to post it. I'm really impressed she took the time to explain something about their products and I hope they can do something to improve the smell!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    That is impressive customer service.

They responded with a personal message, acknowledged the problem, didn't try to shirk responsibility for it, heard your concerns and did their best to address them.

I'm very pleased to see things like this!

Ah well - hope they succeed so you can try them again since you liked them so!

:D

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

mayim wrote:
    That is impressive customer service.

They responded with a personal message, acknowledged the problem, didn't try to shirk responsibility for it, heard your concerns and did their best to address them.

I'm very pleased to see things like this!

Ah well - hope they succeed so you can try them again since you liked them so!

:D

M

Ditto! :D These days it's so hard to find anyone willing to give service like that. It really makes me want to try some of their others products.

When I emailed and asked if she minded me posting it here I also asked how we might know if they reformulated it and she said most likely they would put a sticker on the bottle letting people know. I just hope I don't forget to look for it on occasion!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    Wow, that is great! Great that you wrote to them Spring1, and great and surprising that they replied in such a professional and understanding way. It makes me feel good about trying their products. And at least they are trying to be natural and careful about what they use. I just bought the Nourishing leave-in yesterday and am excited to try it tonight. It doesn't smell too strong. Also, with some scents, if I like the product enough, I will use it and get used to it. I did this with One Condition. Hate the smell, but can't give it up because it works so well for me. V05 Strawberries and Creme on the other hand, the smell knocked me out iin the store and I couldn't even buy it. I can deal with a strong, natural smell better than I can a strong one that smells like chemicals.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    I got the free full size sample of the curling tonic a couple months ago and the single samples of poo & dish. I tried the curling tonic once and HATED the smell. I LOVE lemongrass, but this is beyond lemongrass. I think there is too much oregano. I like oregano too, but on my hair is a different story. The smell of this stuff lingered terribly. I don't even recall if it helped my curl formation. I didn't care at this point. I threw out the condish cause it had cyclomethicone high up on the label. The poo looked promising tho. I just happened to put it in my shower this morning. I'll try it next time I poo.......unless it has that same smell as the tonic!!!!! Then in the trash it goes too.
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    Also got the free full size of the curling tonic. Got the s&c samples, but never used them. The smell of the tonic isn't my favorite scent in the world, but it doesn't offend me or give me a headache - and to be honest, the product works so well that I use it once in a while anyway. In fact, I'd loaded on a bunch of it on Friday night and my roommate came home shortly thereafter, and was walking around the apartment taking deep breaths asking what that delicious smell was! Go figure. :)
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    So does anyone know if this has been reformulated? I saw that my local grocer is now carrying this line and I am tempted to try it :roll:
  • curlyanacurlyana Posts: 3Registered Users
    im trying to get free samples but the page cannot be found :shock:
    I wish I knew if this had been reformulated or not. I saw it at the store a few weeks ago and was reminded how much I liked it. I haven't browsed the product review forums in a while and am now reminded why I should stay away. I have 3 or 4 things on my list to try already!! :twisted:

Anyone else using the ABBA stuff?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Posts: 93Registered Users
    I bought my bottle of True Curls conditioner in mid-July, and it still smells strongly of rosemary and oregano. It was really strong the first few times I used it, but after about a week it just made me hungry for pizza.

I've stopped using it because I'm CG now, but every once in a while I put a little bit in because it conditions so well.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I tried the conditioner several months ago, and I don't know if it was reformulated or not but the smell is still EXTREMELY strong. Also, it's not CG... which I didn't realize when I bought it. After two days I had buildup, and my scalp itched till I was able to get my hands on a sulfate-free poo... :roll:
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ABBA makes both a conditioner and a spray called True Curls. Which product are you guys referring to?

I saw both in a store today, and sprayed a bit of the...spray onto the back of my hand to see if the smell was really so bad. I didn't find the aroma too unpleasant at first, but after a few minutes I felt nauseous and my eyes were burning. Yikes! Probably would make a good salad dressing, though, if you mixed it with a lot of olive oil. Anyway, the ingredients seem great (the conditioner has cones, the spray is CG), so I'll definitely buy the spray once they change the scent.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    bump
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    I too have had good CS from Abba.

The fragrance comes from a natural preservative called Biopein. It has a strong odor and is very expensive.

According to a press release "Biopein features a combination of botanical extracts including:
    *Oregano Leaf (Origanum vulgare) and Thyme Leaf (Thymus vulgaris), containing Phenolic ingredients, Carvacrol and Thymol,
    *Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), containing Cinnamaldehyde and Eugenol,
    *Rosemary Leaf (Rosmarinus officinalis), containing 1,8-Cineole, *Camphor, a-Pinene and also small amounts of Rosmarinic acid,
    *Lavender Flower (Lavenudula officinalis), containing Linalyl acetate and Linalol, and
    *Goldenseal Root (Hydrastis Canadensis), containing Berberine and Hydrastine alkaloids, that, when combined at proprietary levels, yields a natural ingredient (Biopein) with potent organism-inhibiting properties.

Studies have shown that Biopein discourages the growth of various microorganisms (ie. Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Mycobacterium smegmatis, Pseudomonas aeruginose and Candida albicans) at different spectral susceptibilities."

http://www.bio-botanica.com/articles/Bio_Article_2003.pdf

So I'm sure they are having trouble covering the fragrance of their preservative with camphor and all those -ols (which prolong fragrance).
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file