Wavies: Do You Plop? For How Long?

KatiecurlKatiecurl Registered Users Posts: 236
I've been experimenting with plopping and have recently discovered that the less time I plop, the better.

I always air dry my hair, and I've realized that the longer I plop, the stringier my waves are by the end of the day.

So... how many wavies here plop? And how long do you do it for?

I plopped for 5 minutes two days in a row now, and I've had two great hair days!
2a/b. I love AOHR!

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't tried plopping yet because I feel like my hair is still too short. It's to the bottom of my neck in the back and to my jaw in the front. I'm growing out a big chop.... So how long is your hair?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Registered Users Posts: 755
    I am having way better luck with shorter plopping time too. I basically stay plopped long enough to dry off from my shower, and get a shirt pulled over my head. Then I take my hair out of the plop right away.

This is when I put my product in too. I used to do it in the shower when still soaking wet. This new routine is working MUCH better for me!

I am 3b too, my hair is just about to my shoulder blades.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    Katiecurl wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with plopping and have recently discovered that the less time I plop, the better.

I always air dry my hair, and I've realized that the longer I plop, the stringier my waves are by the end of the day.

So... how many wavies here plop? And how long do you do it for?

I plopped for 5 minutes two days in a row now, and I've had two great hair days!

I'm the exact same way. I only plop for maybe 5-10 minutes and my hair does MUCH better the shorter the plop time. I really only do it now to keep wet hair from hanging all over me while I moisturize. I've tried the 20 min., 30 min., hour routine and it seems if I plop for too long, my hair develops a real stubborn streak and refuses to be manipulated at all. It's like I have to catch it while still pretty wet or the monster comes alive! :evil1:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • madmb20madmb20 Registered Users Posts: 117
    Can someone explain to me what 'plopping' is? i just signed up the other day and am trying to figure out a new routine for my 2a hair. Thanks!
    2A/B
    still working on it
    :wink:
    madmb20 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what 'plopping' is? i just signed up the other day and am trying to figure out a new routine for my 2a hair. Thanks!

Go to www.jessicurl.com and watch her video called "Plunking" (same as plopping)..........and that's how you do it.:wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thanks for the quick reply. i'm going to have to get one of those microfiber towels to try it out.
    2A/B
    still working on it
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Registered Users Posts: 236
    My hair is shoulder length... I can't wait until it gets longer!

I also just started putting in products after plopping... I agree, jlpmom23, it's much better than putting them in when soaking wet!

I also think I'm going to try mousse soon.
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    jlpmom23 wrote: »
    I am having way better luck with shorter plopping time too. I basically stay plopped long enough to dry off from my shower, and get a shirt pulled over my head. Then I take my hair out of the plop right away.

This is when I put my product in too. I used to do it in the shower when still soaking wet. This new routine is working MUCH better for me!

I am 3b too, my hair is just about to my shoulder blades.

When do you start plopping? Do you squeeze some water out or plop your hair dripping wet? Id love to try your routine because my hair seems to lose a bit of its curl (break up a bit) when I apply product then plop.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
    i plopped for the first time today. i have to say, my hair came out a lot better than i thought. although i do have a question, do any of you comb your hair while its wet? my new hairdresser told me not to comb my hair ever and with the plopping my bangs went haywire & i had to tie them back.
    2A/B
    still working on it
    i plopped for the first time today. i have to say, my hair came out a lot better than i thought. although i do have a question, do any of you comb your hair while its wet? my new hairdresser told me not to comb my hair ever and with the plopping my bangs went haywire & i had to tie them back.

I just comb in the shower while conditioner is in my hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur

The only time I comb my hair is in the shower with a widetooth comb and condish. As for bangs going haywire, I hear ya. I have bangs and while I really like them/need them to balance my high forehead, they can be a pain. After plopping I use a rat-tail comb to coax them out of my waves.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Registered Users Posts: 224
    The longer I plop, the flatter my hair is on top. I started out plopping for 20 + minutes, but even clipping wouldn't give me any lift at my roots and my bangs look really weird the longer I go. As for the combing, my stylist recommended combing with a wide tooth comb while soaking wet, but when I tried it I just had frizzy, undefined curls. I finger comb in the shower after I've applied conditioner, and that's all I do, otherwise it's a big mess.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
    styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I usually plop for 5 - 10 minutes, just long enough to get dressed after showering. I've tried diffusing upside down right away, but didn't really notice much difference. I've tried plopping longer, and my hair seemed to get frizzier, plus I didn't like having the microturban on my head that long.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Hey, I read this post last week. I have been putting my styling products in before I plop. I usually plop for about 15 minutes or so. Based on the threads here I have tried plopping before putting in my styling products. I "think" I get better results if I put my products in first. However, today it is humid here and cold...I don't really have curls, just "volume" if you know what I mean. I think it is because I used low-poo on Sunday and then again today. I feel like my hair is dry. Apparently, my hair needs a few more DT's to get the moisure back the way it should be. I am into week 3 of CG. I washed it this morning just to see what would happen...now I know...don't do it.

Sarah
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • ChicagoKatChicagoKat Registered Users Posts: 12
    After watching the Jessiecurl video I tried plopping 3-4 times trying to follow her instructions exactly. My hair looked flatter than ever! (My hair is just past my shoulders w/ some layers, no bangs.)
    I think maybe my hair is too fine to plop? Today I did my old Deva routine of squeezing excess water from hair, then squeezing with my acquis (sp?) towel, products and diffusing. I had so much more curl and volume!
  • dadosdados Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have some questions..Like:
    1.your hair is wet[like shower wet]when you plop it?
    2. have you ever tried to plop it dry,with some stying mousse?
    3. my hair is flat on the top after ploping, do you have any idea why?

Please help me. I'm trying to do like in the plopping video, but when my hair is after shower is to wet and heavy to stay curly all day long:crybaby:
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    I am the exact opposite from some of you. The longer I plop, the better. I get better root volume and wave with plopping. Even better if I root clip before plopping. I plop overnight. But the towel is usually off off my head in the morning.

dados: Yes, my hair is wet when I plop it. I always scrunch excess moisture out in the shower and apply product first I then root clip and plop.
    I have plopped dry (for second day hair) but moistened it with some water, although I found out water makes frizz awful, so I am going to experiment with moistening with a leave-in. If I am plopping dry, since I always moisten it, I sometimes apply a little bit of a 60/20 mixture of mousse and gel. But normally if it is dry and moistened I will not add anything to my hair until morning. I don't know that I would try plopping dry without moistening it, that would probably make it quite frizzy.

If you are only using mousse, you probably don't have enough hold.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • EitakEitak Registered Users Posts: 31
    every single time i plop, my hair turns out terribly. so i don't anymore ha.
  • IzzyTheTerribleIzzyTheTerrible Registered Users Posts: 194
    When I was using mousse, the longer I plopped the curlier I came out (with more volume), I haven't figured out the magic number for with gel.

In fact, I haven't found the magic anything with gel. I have such mixed feelings about the stuff right now.
    2a-2b/fine/LOTS of it/Florida Dews
    CG as of 7/29.

Co-Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    RO-Condish: Suave Tropical Coconut / Matrix Conditioning Balm
    Low-Poo: Daisy Fuentes

Protein --> :love8: <-- My Hair
  • RenocatRenocat Registered Users Posts: 26
    I was putting product in while my hair was sopping wet, scrunching it in til it wasn't dripping then plopping for 10-20 mins while i finished my morning routine. I was flat on top and had pieces sticking out at weird angles.

This is my new routine that has worked wonders the past 4-5 days:
    Co wash with giovanni TTT and condition with One C and rinse out. Squeeze hair out in shower.

Scrunch hair with my towel (yes i know, a plain old towel yikes!). Today I had the brilliant idea to scrunch my hair all at once. (my hair is very fine and shoulder length) I flipped over, sort of gathered it into a pony and then scrunched...nice clumps.. Then i applied LOOB in the same way and then some HESMU gel. FLip back over and arrange my part and any pieces sticking out weird, air dry for maybe 10 mins while i get dressed, pack my lunch, etc. then diffuse. TOday I diffused right side up because I had some awesome curls and waves started that I usually don't get without flipping upside down and pixie diffusing. I have pretty good hair today, with minimal crunch and it dried quickly. Forgot to mention that I also blot/scrunch with a paper towel before adding product to my hair.

SO long story short, I don't plop anymore...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b ish? New to curly hair. Hair fell out after acute illness, then came back curly.
    Currently using Giovanni shampoo and condish, LOOB and HESMU gel
  • thefossilchickthefossilchick Registered Users Posts: 25
    When I was using mousse, the longer I plopped the curlier I came out (with more volume), I haven't figured out the magic number for with gel.

In fact, I haven't found the magic anything with gel. I have such mixed feelings about the stuff right now.

I think my hair is anti-gel as well. It would be so much easier if it could just tell me.

I've plopped with products, without products, with half of my products, in a microfiber towel, regular towel, and every tee shirt in the house. It seems like each day I get different results. It rarely looks awful, but I haven't had great hair days either.

I second the question about plopping with dry or slightly damp hair. Has it worked for anyone, or is it just a recipe for disastrous frizz?
    2b/2c medium to coarse, medium porosity

Wash: Jessicurl HCC, V05 Tea Therapy
    Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea, AOHR
    Stylers: Naturelle Hypoallergenic Gel, Jessicurl CC and RR
    Trying to figure out plopping...:sign6:
  • IzzyTheTerribleIzzyTheTerrible Registered Users Posts: 194
    I personally have tried it.

Did my normal refreshing spritz then a plop.

Pro: lots of volume.

Con: volume came from a POOF!
    2a-2b/fine/LOTS of it/Florida Dews
    CG as of 7/29.

Co-Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    RO-Condish: Suave Tropical Coconut / Matrix Conditioning Balm
    Low-Poo: Daisy Fuentes

Protein --> :love8: <-- My Hair
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    So I tried plopping dry, not even moistening it and it is okay. It is a little bit frizzier than normal, but it looks fine.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I put in some product while still soaking wet (Jessicurl,after wide tooth combing); then plop, then add more (FSG, Fuzzy Duck, and Imply).

No set time on plopping.
  • anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Registered Users Posts: 343
    I hadn't posted here because I wanted to try it one more time to be certain. Plopping is definitely not for me. My roots end up all weird and the one time they didn't, it didn't do much for me in any other way except it lengthened drying time since my hair wasn't exposed to air while I was plopping. So, at the best it's a waste of time and at the worst it makes my hair look worse than without.
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • SzandraSzandra Registered Users Posts: 24
    Plopping is definitely not for me. My roots end up all weird

I am happy you wrote this. This is exactly what happens to me all the time I try to plop. Normally my hair start to curl approx. 2 inches from my top,so it looked absolutely unnatural to have curls on my top (and had small holes, you could see something behind me LMAO :laughing6:). And of the top of that,I had my whole hair in 4 or 5 big bunches - it was very weird. Like I had braids.
    No plopping for me,thanks :sad3:
    Natural hair colour growing out.:thumbright:
    Shoulder lenght 2b/2c medium with coarse,dry canopi.
    Co-wash: Suave Coconut
    Rinse out: Suave Milk & Honey
    DT: Conditioner with honey,avocado,etc..
    Leave in: Home made FSG with Conditioner.
    Dislikes: oils,gel by itself (the scrunchy feeling ewww),VO5 products.:sad3:

CG since 30th May 2009.
    Proud to be Hungarian in Bolivia :occasion9:
  • CrystalRainCrystalRain Registered Users Posts: 170
    I'm actually finding that plopping for a shorter amount of time (five to ten minutes) is better for my hair. I agree with some of you that my roots always seemed squished when I used to plop for around half an hour, and it wasn't very well defined. This is bad news because I was hoping during the school year I could shower in the evening and plop overnight, but oh well.
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Started CG (properly) as of 6/31/2009.

Cowash | Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze or Juicy Green Apple
    Rinse-out | Burt's Bees Super Shiny
    Leave-in | Live Clean Intense Moisturizing
    Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    dados wrote: »
    I have some questions..Like:
    1.your hair is wet[like shower wet]when you plop it?
    2. have you ever tried to plop it dry,with some stying mousse?
    3. my hair is flat on the top after ploping, do you have any idea why?

Please help me. I'm trying to do like in the plopping video, but when my hair is after shower is to wet and heavy to stay curly all day long:crybaby:

I have tried plopping exactly like the video from jessicurl. I have done it right out of the shower-dripping wet, with or without product, I have tried it dry plopping overnight, and every which way you can think of.

:angry7: It just doesn't work for me! :angry7: I always get the same results: incredably flat top, stringy noodly hair, no cosistant waves, lowers my wave from 2c to 2a, and I loose all body. I've pinned and used the claw clips too.

It makes me wonder if it has something to do with the wave pattern and how your hair lays against your scalp naturally, or maybe a specific type of texture/density/wave pattern mix.

All I know is if I plop, I can count on a bad hair day.
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    Renocat wrote: »
    I was putting product in while my hair was sopping wet, scrunching it in til it wasn't dripping then plopping for 10-20 mins while i finished my morning routine. I was flat on top and had pieces sticking out at weird angles.

This is my new routine that has worked wonders the past 4-5 days:
    Co wash with giovanni TTT and condition with One C and rinse out. Squeeze hair out in shower.

Scrunch hair with my towel (yes i know, a plain old towel yikes!). Today I had the brilliant idea to scrunch my hair all at once. (my hair is very fine and shoulder length) I flipped over, sort of gathered it into a pony and then scrunched...nice clumps.. Then i applied LOOB in the same way and then some HESMU gel. FLip back over and arrange my part and any pieces sticking out weird, air dry for maybe 10 mins while i get dressed, pack my lunch, etc. then diffuse. TOday I diffused right side up because I had some awesome curls and waves started that I usually don't get without flipping upside down and pixie diffusing. I have pretty good hair today, with minimal crunch and it dried quickly. Forgot to mention that I also blot/scrunch with a paper towel before adding product to my hair.

SO long story short, I don't plop anymore...

Can I just say, I LOVE your waves! They look so classy mixed with a little sassy fun!
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    I plop usually for about 10 minutes. If I plop too long it gets frizzy on top. If I don't plop at all, my hair takes forever to dry and the top is flat.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights