Are silicones and wheat germ oil bad for the skin?

helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I tried a sample of two Paula's Choice moisturizers - Skin Balancing moisture gel and the Hydralight lotion and my skin freaked out after trying each one twice. I noticed that cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone are up there on the ingredients list as well as wheat germ oil in the gel one. According to this site http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist wheat germ oil is bad and silicones are good. I'm not sure how silicones are good for oily, acne-prone skin.

I'm also curious about the wheat germ cleanser redcatwaves likes. I'd like to try it since it seems it's done wonders for her and others but I'm almost scared to because I don't want my skin to be even more unhappy. :sad10:
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i know others rave about the wheat germ soap but honestly my skin reacted to it very badly. i kept trying it before i had to give it up. i don't know if it was the silicones or what. i'll be curious to see what others say.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    if you have wheat or gluten allergies, you may be sensitive to wheat germ oil. it's one of those issues that depends on the individual's tolerance. one person with allergies may be able to use the oil, while another person with allergies may not.

also, cones are coating agents, which gives them the moisturizing properties they have in skin and hair products. they coat the surface, sealing in water, making them moisturizing.

to me, people with acne need their skin to breath. the last thing they need is an ingredient that coats, allowing sebum, shed skin cells, dirt, etc. to become trapped in pores causing whiteheads and blackheads to form.

having said that, my mother is 73 and uses whatever deodorant bath soap she buys on her face, followed by a little vaseline as a moisturizer. her face is velvety smooth, no lines, and no deep wrinkles. gotta love genetics!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    *bump*

(Hoping RCW will reply too :wink:)

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wheat germ oil in it's pure form is comedogenic. The WGO cleanser I use is saponified, meaning it's made into soap, and therefore no longer has the properties of oil.

I use silicone in the form of makeup primers to help makeup stay on my face better. I only use it on specific areas of my face that seem to get very oily...eyelids, forehead, nose, sides of nose. The silicone doesn't seem to cause me any clogging issues. I only use it during daytime hours, and wash thoroughly before sleep. I wouldn't want to use any creams, especially at night, that contain silicone. I want my skin to breathe at night.
    Wheat germ oil in it's pure form is comedogenic. The WGO cleanser I use is saponified, meaning it's made into soap, and therefore no longer has the properties of oil.

I use silicone in the form of makeup primers to help makeup stay on my face better. I only use it on specific areas of my face that seem to get very oily...eyelids, forehead, nose, sides of nose. The silicone doesn't seem to cause me any clogging issues. I only use it during daytime hours, and wash thoroughly before sleep. I wouldn't want to use any creams, especially at night, that contain silicone. I want my skin to breathe at night.

RCW, can you see anything wrong with the routine/products I'm currently using?

AM: wash with Avene cleanance
    apply PC 2% sal. acid lotion
    moisturizer with SPF

PM: wash with Avene
    apply 2.5% BP
    moisturize with Lac hydrin

I'm starting to use a gentle face brush but so far I just use it once a day.

TIA!

helloitsio wrote: »

moisturizer with SPF

apply 2.5% BP

TIA!

You should wait 30 minutes after the application of the 2% SA before applying anything else, so as to allow the acid to neutralize on the skin. If you don't wait, you don't get the benefits of the SA.

I don't know about your cleanser. Which one are you using? If it's detergent-based, it'll be damaging to the skin barrier.

I know I sound like a broken record about the detergent cleansers, but I really believe they are at the heart of most people's skin problems.
    You should wait 30 minutes after the application of the 2% SA before applying anything else, so as to allow the acid to neutralize on the skin. If you don't wait, you don't get the benefits of the SA.

I don't know about your cleanser. Which one are you using? If it's detergent-based, it'll be damaging to the skin barrier.

I know I sound like a broken record about the detergent cleansers, but I really believe they are at the heart of most people's skin problems.

The Avene cleanser is soap-free and has a pH of 7.2. Ingredients are: water, decyl glucoside, polysorbate 20, ceteareth-60 myristyl glycol, disodium coamphodiacetate, glycerin, sodium lauryl sarcosinate, methyl gluceth-20, benzoic acid, cetromium bromide, pumpkin seed oil, disodium edta, fragrance, green5, lactic acid, phenoxyethanol, yellow 5, zinc gluconate

Hm. Lots of chemicals. Is that bad?

The Avene cleanser is soap-free and has a pH of 7.2. Ingredients are: water, decyl glucoside, polysorbate 20, ceteareth-60 myristyl glycol, disodium coamphodiacetate, glycerin, sodium lauryl sarcosinate, methyl gluceth-20, benzoic acid, cetromium bromide, pumpkin seed oil, disodium edta, fragrance, green5, lactic acid, phenoxyethanol, yellow 5, zinc gluconate

Hm. Lots of chemicals. Is that bad?

I wouldn't use it. It's got detergents and colors and fragrances that I just don't want on my face.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    most primers are silicone-based and so many curlies with oily skin swear by them that i can't see them being a problem.

i don't believe in using them every day, but that's just me.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    See now, I find that excessive silicones clog my pores and sometimes give me acne cysts. That's why I can't use foundation primers on my face. They are all made primarily of silicones.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    hmkenny wrote: »
    See now, I find that excessive silicones clog my pores and sometimes give me acne cysts. That's why I can't use foundation primers on my face. They are all made primarily of silicones.

I have two samples of the DHC primer and I'm afraid to use it because of the same reason.

RCW what products do you use daily? I'm trying to find a regimen that will 1) prevent breakouts and get rid of my existing spots :angry3: 2) get rid of/lighten old scars 3) decreasing oiliness would be a bonus :wink:

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    there's lots of different primers - i discuss them here

http://www.naturallycurly.com/tips/rouquinnes-makeup-missive-the-primer-directive
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    hmkenny wrote: »

I have two samples of the DHC primer and I'm afraid to use it because of the same reason.

RCW what products do you use daily? I'm trying to find a regimen that will 1) prevent breakouts and get rid of my existing spots :angry3: 2) get rid of/lighten old scars 3) decreasing oiliness would be a bonus :wink:

ALL of my products? Or just my primer/makeup products?

Oops. Sorry bout that. Just the skincare products.

I use mineral makeup and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just trying to figure out which mmu brand I like best.

Oops. Sorry bout that. Just the skincare products.

I use mineral makeup and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just trying to figure out which mmu brand I like best.

AM
    DY WGO cleanser or PSF Castile cleanser with Clarisonic then buff puff if flakies are excessive and/or microfiber cloth
    PSF DMAE - wait 30 minutes
    Vit C - wait 10
    Tri-Luma (once a week) or Retin-A 0.25% (rest of the week)
    Emu and HA
    primer and mineral makeup

PM
    DY WGO or PSF Castile cleanser
    5% SA
    PSF DMAE - wait 30
    Retin-A 0.1%
    CP Serum (copper peptide product from DY)
    Emu and HA
    AM
    DY WGO cleanser or PSF Castile cleanser with Clarisonic then buff puff if flakies are excessive and/or microfiber cloth
    PSF DMAE - wait 30 minutes
    Vit C - wait 10
    Tri-Luma (once a week) or Retin-A 0.25% (rest of the week)
    Emu and HA
    primer and mineral makeup

PM
    DY WGO or PSF Castile cleanser
    5% SA
    PSF DMAE - wait 30
    Retin-A 0.1%
    CP Serum (copper peptide product from DY)
    Emu and HA

Thanks!!!

• JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users

moisturizer with SPF

apply 2.5% BP

TIA!

Hi, does the waiting 30 minutes after applying salicylic acid before you apply anything else rule apply to glycolic acid as well? Thanks.:toothy7:
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
    Hi, does the waiting 30 minutes after applying salicylic acid before you apply anything else rule apply to glycolic acid as well? Thanks.:toothy7:

You should always wait 30 minutes after applying all acids before applying anything else. It gives the acid time to neutralize.

If you're using a high level glycolic acid as a peel, and you neutralize it after 1 minute or 5 minutes or whatever, the rule isn't going to apply...because you've already neutralized and it's no longer an acid.

Make sense? The idea is to get the benefit of the acid...and get your money's worth.
    You should always wait 30 minutes after applying all acids before applying anything else. It gives the acid time to neutralize.

If you're using a high level glycolic acid as a peel, and you neutralize it after 1 minute or 5 minutes or whatever, the rule isn't going to apply...because you've already neutralized and it's no longer an acid.

Make sense? The idea is to get the benefit of the acid...and get your money's worth.

Sorry to sound soo dense, but if the skin is naturally acidic then why would you want to wait for the acid to neutralize? I am sorry maybe I just don't know what you mean by an acid neutralizing itself?:dontknow:
    JerseyCurl wrote: »

Sorry to sound soo dense, but if the skin is naturally acidic then why would you want to wait for the acid to neutralize? I am sorry maybe I just don't know what you mean by an acid neutralizing itself?:dontknow:

If my skin is naturally pH 5.5, and I put an acid on my face that has a pH of 1.9, I want to get the full benefit of that acid. My skin will naturally neutralize the acid in about 30 minutes. If I put anything on top of my acid with a more neutral pH right after I apply the acid, it's going to neutralize the acid early and I won't get the benefit of the acid.
    JerseyCurl wrote: »

If my skin is naturally pH 5.5, and I put an acid on my face that has a pH of 1.9, I want to get the full benefit of that acid. My skin will naturally neutralize the acid in about 30 minutes. If I put anything on top of my acid with a more neutral pH right after I apply the acid, it's going to neutralize the acid early and I won't get the benefit of the acid.

Oh okay that makes sense, thanks for clarifying that. :toothy7:
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I tried a sample of two Paula's Choice moisturizers - Skin Balancing moisture gel and the Hydralight lotion and my skin freaked out after trying each one twice. I noticed that cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone are up there on the ingredients list as well as wheat germ oil in the gel one.

To me, Paula's Choice products are a waste of money. They did nothing for my skin, and may have caused a few breakouts. :angry7:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    I tried a sample of two Paula's Choice moisturizers - Skin Balancing moisture gel and the Hydralight lotion and my skin freaked out after trying each one twice. I noticed that cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone are up there on the ingredients list as well as wheat germ oil in the gel one.

To me, Paula's Choice products are a waste of money. They did nothing for my skin, and may have caused a few breakouts. :angry7:

Paula Begoun just chaps my butt in general. She made her name by denouncing the cosmetics industry as selling worthless products. Then, she turns around and starts selling...worthless products. She's the ultimate sellout. I won't use her products on principal.
    Windflower wrote: »

Paula Begoun just chaps my butt in general. She made her name by denouncing the cosmetics industry as selling worthless products. Then, she turns around and starts selling...worthless products. She's the ultimate sellout. I won't use her products on principal.

:oops: I actually have been getting good results from her 2% bha lotion and gel. But the cleanser and moisturizers I won't touch with a 10 foot pole after what they did to my skin.

• YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    RCW: i've received my DY order WGC and SA 2%, am i supposed to rinse the SA off or leave it on my face during the day? What's the difference between rinsing it off or let it sit on my face during the day? TIA
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
    Yomini wrote: »
    RCW: i've received my DY order WGC and SA 2%, am i supposed to rinse the SA off or leave it on my face during the day? What's the difference between rinsing it off or let it sit on my face during the day? TIA

It's a leave-on product. Rinsing it off would inactive/neutralize it.
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    Really? On the bottle it says: rinse with water after 2-3 minutes. But i'll leave it on tonight. Do i apply it on wet or dry face?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
    Yomini wrote: »
    Really? On the bottle it says: rinse with water after 2-3 minutes. But i'll leave it on tonight. Do i apply it on wet or dry face?

Yeah, the directions on that product are odd. It's meant to be a leave-on product. I apply it to a freshly washed, dried face.

You can use a cotton ball or gauze square to apply (they probably sent you a box of gauze squares with it), but I transfer mine to a dropper bottle so I can apply directly to my face with a dropper...I seem to waste less product that way.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I transfer mine to a dropper bottle so I can apply directly to my face with a dropper...I seem to waste less product that way.

Great idea! Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just jumping in here, but I was wondering what DMAE stands for and what it's supposed to do.

Helloitsio, I agree, I like the PC 2% BHA but did not like her other stuff at all.

And to the poster who mentioned that her mom uses vaseline on her face, I met a 93 year old lady the other day with absolutely beautiful, glowing skin and asked her what she uses. She said she's been putting vaseline on her face every night for years!
    Of course, if I tried that I'd probably break out into a horrible mess:disgust:.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file