Constant cold sores

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My son has been taking Lysine (500 mg I think) off/on for many months, once or twice daily. I'm guessing it's not working.

He used Abreva. It didn't work.

He's now using Releev. We don't know yet if this works or not.

Is there anything else he can try? Is there anything he should be tested for at the clinic/hospital? Can they prescribe him anything that'll actually work?

He gets them constantly.

Comments

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get them a lot (I 'pick' at my lips which I dont think helps my situation). I have found that tea tree oil works well. I have every known product - for over the counter I would have to say Abreeva is not bad. At one point I got VeraMedx that also works OK. Also, neosporin has a lip treatment out that is not bad either. I have found the biggest thing is to start getting stuff on them when they 1st start. But I feel for him - they are so darn annoying and embarassing.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have a doctor test them and see if they are actual cold sores caused by Herpes I or II ( I can't remember which one is usually cold sores). If so, one of the antivirals should help well. They shorten the life span of the sore by a lot and can even prevent it if taken at the first sign of symptoms.

Also, take a look at his lysine/arigine ratio in foods. My cold sores used to flare up from eating beans or getting too much sun. Oh yeah, a lip balm with sunscreen is essential. A doctor in high school recommended that and it has made a huge difference.

Edit: A really random thing that helps me is yogurt. If I eat it every day, I have no problems.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My friend gets canker sores inside her mouth and she always has them. So I researched and found out that sls in toothpaste is known to cause them. It is also in mouthwash, so maybe this is causing them. Hopefully you find out what is causing them because I'm sure just like my friend your son is miserable.
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I get cold sores ALL the time. The only thing that I have found to be helpful is to get a prescription for Acyclovir or Valtrex (tablets not the ointment/cream) from your dr and to take one daily as a preventative. If I am not doing this, I be sure to take one at the FIRST (the tingly feeling) that I get when I feel one.

Also, your son may need to id his triggers. Mine are too much sunshine, too much stress, orange juice, and cheap chocolate. Sometimes plain on gastrointestinal stress causes them... like a virus.

I have tried the Lysine, but the Acyclovir

I wish him luck, I've had them since I was in elementary school. School life with these things is embarrassing.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
    Yeah, I figure I'm going to have to take him back to the doc for a script since we've tried several things that are supposedly tops. The only things he hasn't tried are low on the totem pole & obviously since they're not the best things to try, they're not going to work.

However... I asked him if he was using the Releev & I swear he was going to break my ear drum with his excited yelling about how the last one he got just the other day, after I initially posted, was zapped in one day with this liquid! He said it dried it up overnight & all that was left the next day was a pockmark! He said with the Abreeva he'd be stuck with the cold sore for a week or more. We just might have a winner if this working that once wasn't a fluke! Knock on wood! It's too bad the bottle, around the same size as the tube of Abreeva, is darn near $20!

How do you go about trying to find the trigger?
    I just happened into my triggers. I found a list of common triggers and tried ruling them out. I don't drink orange juice, and if I do drink too much of it at once...TA DA! One will appear the next day. I can tell that it has a lot to do with gastro-intestinal upset. If I get stressed out and feel like my stomach is upset...one usually pops up. I also have noticed that a lot of sun exposure with no SPF on my lips will usually result in one too. I know that they are supposed to be a "virus" but I swear you can trigger them. I guess it is when your immune system is busy fighting something else.

I have not tried the Releeve...because I was to disappointed with all of the other products. I will definitely try it next time.
    CK is the one!!

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Cold sores are painful and none too pleasant to look at. I didn't start getting them until I was in my 30's. Now I get them a few times a year. Triggers for me are too much sun, wind, citrus, stress.
    They take a long time to heal and they leave scars. I've been using Novitra for a few years but it seems to have lost it's effectiveness. Thanks for the Releev recommendation. I just bought some on Ebay for $5.99 including shipping. It's worth a try!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    hope,

I'll have to look for a triggers list on-line.

jeep,

$6?! Wow, you're lucky!

I think I read good things about Novitra. But you say it's lost its oomph. Hmm.

I also read about one with Lysine. I hope it wasn't just a paid plug for the product. The name of it has to do with Lysine, but for some strange reason I can't remember it! :oops:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get them and have since I was a kid. However, now they've migrated to my face. Even as a kid I would get them on my face occasionally, but now I get them more often. Mainly around my nose, but sometimes on my eyelid which is very scary.

I've used the Releev and it's amazing. I used to get Zovirax cream via RX, but I'll just buy the Releev from now on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    lazyloops It took a few years for the Novitra to stop working well. But it still feels soothing. (I also buy it on Ebay for cheap).
    I wonder sometimes what they were thinking by putting alcohol and such in some of the cold sore medicines. They burn like heck and do not make the cold sores heal faster!!

spring It IS scary getting them around your eyes. I get them IN my eyes sometimes! Wow do they hurt. Mine started in my nose, then moved to the outside of my nose, and now have moved down below my nose above my lip.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I've never heard of getting them anywhere other than the lips! :shock: That's frightening!

I wonder if that's what pops onto my fingers, oh & son's too, every now & then in the summer?! He swears his are mosquito bites, but I know for a fact mine aren't & they look & act the same as his. :?
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow jeep! I didn't know it could get IN the eye. I can't even imagine how painful that must be. My last one was on my eyelid right near the inside corner and I was so scared I would get it IN my eye.

When I was younger I would get them on my cheek and they were huge. It was so painful, but being a kid I couldn't keep away from picking at it and I have a little scar on my face. As I've gotten older they've gotten smaller and I get them on the edge of my nose mainly and my eyelid. So strange how this stuff operates, isn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Lazy Loops
    I found this article:

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Information/OralHealthBasics/CommonConcerns/CankerSoresColdSoresAndInfections/ColdSoresandFeverBlisters.cvsp

It isn't much help...but it says the same thing that all of the others I found said. Basically, exposure to sunlight, stress, emotional upset and menstruation. I am sure that last one is not the cause of your sons. But, it still could be hormonal...he he he!! I had to come up with my own list of triggers. Anything that upsets my stomach can cause one, including being overly tired. The bad thing is that these darn things are a virus that is always in our bodies waiting for us to get run down...and then WHAMMO!!! It strikes.

I did see an article on webmd that said that there were developing some new drugs for us!!
    CK is the one!!

hope,

That link's interesting. My son used to get a lot of strep throat & tonsillitis infections. Once those stopped, which coincidentally was around puberty age, the fever blisters/cold sores took over.

He doesn't get much sunlight so that's always been ruled out as a trigger. I & the doc he saw last say he needs more sunlight. He's a computer gamer that hides himself away in his room during non-working hours. :(
  • thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    I have no idea if there's medical evidence to back it, but I take a B12 vitamin every day. I have since I was about 10. I only ever get cold sores now if I don't take the B12 and am under high stress. My mom's friend suggested it a loooong time ago and I've never looked back, so I definitely highly recommend it!

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ThatAliciaGirl... I looked at your pics, your hair looks great. What did you do with the honey? I want to try it. I have done the honey and OO DT, but your comments looks like you mixed it with your conditioner? Do tell....
    CK is the one!!

• thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    ThatAliciaGirl... I looked at your pics, your hair looks great. What did you do with the honey? I want to try it. I have done the honey and OO DT, but your comments looks like you mixed it with your conditioner? Do tell....

Thank you :) Those photos are so old, haha! With those ones I mixed honey with my conditioner in the shower (I was using V05 then), and I rinsed with cold water but didn't fully rinse. I've found that it works best in humid weather, I tried doing stuff with honey this winter but it didn't work so well! It looks good but if you're not a fan of "feeling" stuff in your hair, it might be annoying as honey gives a strange crunchy feeling that (for me, anyway) wasn't easily scrunched out. Good luck though, playing with honey is fun :)

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColoradoCurlyColoradoCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    Both the herpes virus that causes cold sores and the virus that causes aphthous (canker) ulcers are ones that lay dormant in the body. Once you have them, they are always there, but they are brought to the surface in the form of a sore/ulcer by stress or trauma. The stress/trauma part means different things to different people--work stress, school stress, family stress, trauma from slipping with a toothbrush or biting your cheek. It can also be something as simple as eating too much acidic food (tomatoes, ketchup, citrus fruits. Once the virus is active, unfortunately you can only treat the symptoms while it runs the usual 7-10 day virus course. While I get canker sores, I don't get the herpetic ones, but my sons get both. To minimize canker sores we have had the best luck with using Ment-a-dent toothpaste because it has peroxide in it and it is less acidic than other toothpastes. Stay away from the tartar control varieties of any paste because they are more acidic and irritate the mucosa of the mouth. Natural toothpastes such as Tom's of Maine have the fewest irritating ingredients. The natural toothpastes do not have fluoride, but IMO you don't need them as our water is over fluoridated in most areas. I know this is contrary to what most dentists will tell you, but I disagree and I have actually worked in dentistry for over 20 years. Anyway, Soothe-n-seal which is made by Colgate has worked the best for long-term relief to help get through the most painful stages of the cankers sores. While unpleasant to actually touch the ulcer to apply the medication, it lasts much, much longer and does not set your mouth on fire like things of the anbesol nature. Make sure you closely follow the Soothe-n-seal directions or you will not achieve the desired effect.

For the herpetic lesions, initially my sons took acyclovir with good results. The MD wouldn't ok taking it on an ongoing basis for prevention, but with the frequency they were starting to need it, I didn't really see much difference than taking it all the time and it seemed to be losing its effectiveness. I generally prefer natural first, medication second, but we were getting desperate looking for help. After thinking about it, the liquid inside the cold sore blister is histamine. For about a year and a half now, I give them benadryl (antihistime) at the first sign of a blister and use abreva. While we can't avoid the sore altogether, the size has been greatly diminished and it is for lack of a better term "scabbed" within a day. My sister tells me that she can feel one coming because there is a tingle sensation. She swears that she has had good luck in minimizing the size of the blister by holding an ice cube on the area as long as she can stand it, several times a day when she feels one coming. I haven't tested that one out because I can't get my kids to hold the ice cube on their lip that long. Anyway, I hope this helps.
    2b/2c/3a- mod CG, no cones, low-protein, PJ (with a product graveyard to prove it!) Current Faves: CK (1 must-have item for being stranded on a desert island,) AOHR, Suave coconut cond, AG recoil, Arc Angell
    ColoradoCurly,
    That antihistamine tip is a great one to try. I will try the benadryl. I have tried your sister's ice trick...and it NEVER helped me. I remember falling asleep with ice strapped to my mouth when I was a teenager...

I do not take the acyclovir on a daily basis...however, I have friends who take it faithfully. I don't want to tell them that it might lose effectiveness... shatter the illusion of protection.

I also like the toothpaste tip. However, I'd like to find one that is sulfate free...if it isn't good for my hair...it probably isn't good for my teeth either.
    CK is the one!!

Good luck, hopetocurl. Let me know if the benadryl helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    2b/2c/3a- mod CG, no cones, low-protein, PJ (with a product graveyard to prove it!) Current Faves: CK (1 must-have item for being stranded on a desert island,) AOHR, Suave coconut cond, AG recoil, Arc Angell
    Are those sulphate/sulfate-free minty toothpastes as good-tasting & long-lasting as the regular type?

Shouldn't Zyrtec work the same?
    I believe that Zyrtec is an antihistimine, so I would assume it would work the same. We have always used benadryl. The goal with the antihistimine is to dry the liquid inside the blister, so I would assume that all antihistimines would do the job.

I use Ment-a-dent and it is minty. The more natural pastes that we have tried were all the kid-friendly varieties and tasted like fruit, but they did taste good.
    Oh, I have a questions about Lysine (sp). Son has a bottle of one brand of 500 mg that states to take it 1 - 3 times a day. He has a week's worth left of that brand so I bought him another bottle & it's a different brand because the store I got the original brand from doesn't carry that brand anymore. The new brand, also 500 mg, states to take it only once a day.

Now we're confused & wondering if he was wasting the other brand by taking too much, or if the new brand is shorting him, as in, he's not going to be taking enough.

Does anyone know how much he should actually be taking?
    I *thought* you were supposed to take 1,000mg/day.
    CK is the one!!

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WAH!!! I've been getting them too and have a very painful outbreak right now. :crybaby: Thanks for all the tips.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file