shikakai

2»

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kerlydoo wrote: »
    kathymack wrote: »
    I was curious about the color issue, too. I noticed that I received a bar of shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand with my cassia order. I am a nopooer--so I didn't know if I could use this or not. Of course, I never thought of it prior to reading this thread--LOL!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I just saw this.

When I was searching for shikakai powder I came across alma powder. Alma powder can also be used to darken the hair. So, I just wanted to make sure the shikakai wouldn't do the same. I have used it and it didn't do anything to the color of my hair. Or, anything that I noticed. I'm not certain about the marigold and jaswand. Have you tried using it yet?

I didn't try it. Wasn't sure why I would use it. My hair isn't greasy or limp, so I didn't know if I had a reason for it. I guess it's like the shampoo bars??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SIMASIMA Posts: 83Registered Users
    ok, so I used shikakai mix with my hair conditioner and wahsed my hair with it wasn't hard to rinse out but I really dont know what it does to my hair....there is no diffrent.
  • CurlyCaseyCurlyCasey Posts: 224Registered Users
    vwlizard wrote: »
    Dr. Bronner's makes a shikakai soap now. It comes in a pump bottle and was near the hand soaps at my WholeFoods. I love the Baby version (unscented) and use it on my kids as well.

It's also great as soap. When I use this my kids get rid of all of their dry spots and my nails look amazing.

Liz

This is my favorite thing ever! I've been using it instead of shampoo for a few months and it makes my hair very soft. It is really gentle and has a pleasant, nutty odor. I use it every two days and co-wash in between.
    3a/3b mix of ringlets and spiral curls
    BWC Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Conditioner,
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner,
    ***Aloe Vera Gel***
    Simplicity is best, at least for my hair. I co-wash every two days or so with the BWC and use the AOHR as a rinse-out when I need moisture. On other days, I just water wash, and I use AV gel every day to style. I air-dry and don't brush or comb my hair.

I was curious about the color issue, too. I noticed that I received a bar of shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand with my cassia order. I am a nopooer--so I didn't know if I could use this or not. Of course, I never thought of it prior to reading this thread--LOL!!

When I was searching for shikakai powder I came across alma powder. Alma powder can also be used to darken the hair. So, I just wanted to make sure the shikakai wouldn't do the same. I have used it and it didn't do anything to the color of my hair. Or, anything that I noticed. I'm not certain about the marigold and jaswand. Have you tried using it yet?

I didn't try it. Wasn't sure why I would use it. My hair isn't greasy or limp, so I didn't know if I had a reason for it. I guess it's like the shampoo bars??

Because of all of the shampoo bar hype going on, I finally tried the Swastik Shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand (hibiscus) which is actually a shampoo bar. I did a lot of research first and found that coconut oil is the base. I've used it twice in the last three or four days. Had a haircut/highlight on Saturday and the only "DT" I did was use KBB hair butter as my leave in (way too heavy.) My hair is wonderful today with just Giovanni Direct LI and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], no other gel. I have tight ringlets and NO-O!!! frizz. I used the shampoo bar, AVC and KBB hair milk as my rinse out. My hair didn't feel like I pooed, even no poo. Needless to say, I will continue to use this.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Because of all of the shampoo bar hype going on, I finally tried the Swastik Shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand (hibiscus) which is actually a shampoo bar. I did a lot of research first and found that coconut oil is the base. I've used it twice in the last three or four days. Had a haircut/highlight on Saturday and the only "DT" I did was use KBB hair butter as my leave in (way too heavy.) My hair is wonderful today with just Giovanni Direct LI and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], no other gel. I have tight ringlets and NO-O!!! frizz. I used the shampoo bar, AVC and KBB hair milk as my rinse out. My hair didn't feel like I pooed, even no poo. Needless to say, I will continue to use this.
    Hey, KM-are you able to list the ingredients of the bar? Did you purchase online or locally? Thanks :)
    Hey, KM-are you able to list the ingredients of the bar? Did you purchase online or locally? Thanks :)

This was the best write up I could find on it:

http://www.hairveda.net/shampoo.htm

There is another website that lists the main ingredients of the one without the marigold and jaswand:

http://www.shivams.com/swastik_shikakai.htm

When I bought my cassia from mehndiskinart.com, they sent along a bar for free. I've had it for months and thought to use it after all the shampoo bar "hype." I like it so much, I did an online search. You can get it for $1.99--but they want a fortune to ship. I searched for local Indian grocery stores and stopped at a few on my way to get my haircut. Of course, the closed one--a few blocks from my former school--had it when I went today. I bought a lot. If people can't get it, I'll try to stock up and send it out.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    SIMA wrote: »
    ok, so I used shikakai mix with my hair conditioner and wahsed my hair with it wasn't hard to rinse out but I really dont know what it does to my hair....there is no diffrent.
    It offers a bit of a deeper cleaning than just conditioner alone. I find if my hair has started to get greasy with just conditioner, I'll mix in some shikakai and it'll sort it right out.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    CurlyCasey wrote: »
    vwlizard wrote: »
    Dr. Bronner's makes a shikakai soap now. It comes in a pump bottle and was near the hand soaps at my WholeFoods. I love the Baby version (unscented) and use it on my kids as well.

It's also great as soap. When I use this my kids get rid of all of their dry spots and my nails look amazing.

Liz

This is my favorite thing ever! I've been using it instead of shampoo for a few months and it makes my hair very soft. It is really gentle and has a pleasant, nutty odor. I use it every two days and co-wash in between.

I've been using the Dr. Bronner's baby soap, citrus conditioning rinse and KBB hair milk for leave in. My hair has been so curly; it actually gets curlier each day. I have been getting 3rd & even 4th day hair with tons of ringlets, with this stuff. I am amazed at how much better my hair looks & feels, using all natural hair products.

KM, now you have me checking out the shikakai shampoo bars. The PJ'ism never ends, does it? :)
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users

Kathymack, are you getting the same results still?
    Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
    medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
    Day One hair: 2c
    Day Two hair: 2a
    2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
    products...
    used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...
    avsfan wrote: »

Kathymack, are you getting the same results still?
    I got the same results from the three times I used the shikikai bar and either AVC rinse or citric acid rinse--minimal styling products. I used a CV honey butter sample this week--terrible frizz. Tomorrow, I'm going to try some new organic bars I got yesterday. We'll see what they do.

Over all, my hair has tighter, long lasting curl and great volume with the shampoo bars. I have the natural organic ones to try tomorrow and the Soap Lady of Oregon samples at some point. I have to work out the waxiness, but they are keepers (except CV honey butter.)
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I posted this in my thread about the Ayurvedic herbs and shampoo bars. Thought I'd post it here. The only unnatural part is that I put synthetic preservative in my products. My emulsifier is BTMS, which I think is derived from rapeseed.

I did my experiment with the Ayurvedic herbs today. I "brewed" a tea using my herbal infusion, shikakai, aritha and neem. I mixed it with a homemade conditioner. I did a banana mask DT and than "washed" it out with my conditioner. I haven't figured out how to upload a thumbnail and I'd change my signature or avatar, if I could--that's how pleased I am. It the second picture in my folki shampoo bar folder. Needless to say, I will be doing this again.

I did not use a rinse out. My leave in was KBB hair nectar and I was afraid not to use a curl creme, so I used less than a pea sized amount of CJ coffee coco.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    Holy smell!!! Phew, I don't know if I'll be able to stand the shikakai bar!!

I'll have to alternate, that's for sure. Do they sell different smells?

I really liked that it lathered and cleaned well. I could have done just one lather, but I was getting a DT out so did two. Didn't feel waxy at all, but that's because I normally use a CV honey/butter soap bar.

What a powerful scent!
    Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
    medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
    Day One hair: 2c
    Day Two hair: 2a
    2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
    products...
    used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...

I really liked that it lathered and cleaned well. I could have done just one lather, but I was getting a DT out so did two. Didn't feel waxy at all, but that's because I normally use a CV honey/butter soap bar.

What a powerful scent!

My whole bathroom smells that way--and it's pretty big, LOL! I have some organic soap bars that are really nice, I'll pm you.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    I used the shikakai bar sample from kathymack (thank you again) this morning. I washed with bar, did ACV rinse out, conditioned with AOHR - rinsed out, and KBB hair milk leave in, then finished with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I probably should have skipped the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] as it elongated my curls. My hair was very spirally; they were just really stretched out. Next time I use it, I will skip the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. My hair is very soft. I think I will really like these bars.
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif

What a powerful scent!
    I haven't had any experience with the bar, but maybe you could just try it in its powdered form.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

I think that's the way shikakai smells. My whole bathroom smells like that. I use my organic soap bars a more frequently.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mochalatta408mochalatta408 Posts: 214Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know this is an old post, but I just tried it last night and I love this stuff!! I mixed mine with a little olive oil and suave conditioner so my hair wouldn't be stripped.

The downside: Its messy and more time consuming than my low poo/soap bar cleansing routine. (Even though it doesn't mess up your bathroom like Amla or Henna)

The upside: My hair and scalp were super clean after using it. It worked! My hair felt healthy was shiny and easy to detangle.
    3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com
  • PwniePwnie Posts: 29Registered Users
    Sorry to be bumping again! ):

Anyone know a way to purchase this using Paypal? I hate that I can't through Amazon. Or a local chain (TJ or Whole Foods)?

And while we're at it, any reports on the effects on dandruff/dermatitis?

Thanks so much!
    Pwnie wrote: »
    Sorry to be bumping again! ):

Anyone know a way to purchase this using Paypal? I hate that I can't through Amazon. Or a local chain (TJ or Whole Foods)?

And while we're at it, any reports on the effects on dandruff/dermatitis?

Thanks so much!

I get mine at the local Indian grocery store.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I stocked up on some more powdered shikakai (which I got at even more of a bargainous price!) and also got a Swastik Shikakai shampoo bar. I thought it might be nice to have for travelling and things.

The shampoo bar leaves my hair kind of waxy feeling (the powder does not do this - I think anything saponified leaves a waxy/tangled feeling), but some conditioner fixed that right away. My curls were quite nice, although my hair lacked the volume that I usually get after using the shikakai powder. I'll still use the bar for convenience when travelling and such, but the powder is still top of my list :)
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

Also, here is where I buy from: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

Just type "shikakai" into the search box. They also do loads of other ayurvedic products.

I don't think they ship outside the EU, though.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    When you use the powder, are you making just enough of the mixture to clean your scalp or do you make enough to distribute thru your hair? I have a lot of hair. I just used the powder for the first time, and I used about 1/2 cup of a mixture (I mixed the powder with a little water and some of my Sally's honey almond conditioner -- made it smell really good and distributed easily over my scalp). I was wondering if I was supposed to get more of it thru my hair and along the length.

So far (hair is still wet) I don't really notice any difference in hair behavior. The grit was a bit difficult to rinse out (I ended up lying down in the tub to let it soak out and then rinse a whole lot more).

Next I'll try the Swastik Shikakai shampoo bar, and then I'm going to start trying the amla and other powders I bought.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    When you use the powder, are you making just enough of the mixture to clean your scalp or do you make enough to distribute thru your hair? I have a lot of hair. I just used the powder for the first time, and I used about 1/2 cup of a mixture (I mixed the powder with a little water and some of my Sally's honey almond conditioner -- made it smell really good and distributed easily over my scalp). I was wondering if I was supposed to get more of it thru my hair and along the length.

So far (hair is still wet) I don't really notice any difference in hair behavior. The grit was a bit difficult to rinse out (I ended up lying down in the tub to let it soak out and then rinse a whole lot more).

Next I'll try the Swastik Shikakai shampoo bar, and then I'm going to start trying the amla and other powders I bought.
    I only use enough mixture to clean my scalp with - when it rinses out, it goes through the length of my hair and cleans it. You honestly only need less than half a teaspoon full of powder to enough conditioner to clean your scalp (nowhere near 1/2 a cup!)
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

Miraluna,
    Wow, really, only 1/2 tsp?! Guess I really overdid it! Thanks, now I'll know. It didn't feel like overkill, and I'm not sure what it did, but I had good hair. I just washed with the shikakai soap bar, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm also doing my first k-pak treatment now, so it may be hard to tell what did what.

I like the soap bar -- used it on my face last night and it felt good. I don't mind the smell at all. I'm also doing an amla face mask right now; it felt good going on. Lots of fun playing with my new ayurvedic products. Thanks for the info.
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I make a tea with 1 T shikakai and about 1 c water then strain. I love it for shine, curl formation and body. I use it instead of co-washing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
    I used the Swastik shikakai bar yesterday and I had really great hair! Very good second-day hair today, as well. I also did a k-pak protein treatment, so that might have had something to do with it, but so far, with the shikakai powder and with the shampoo bar, I'm getting lots of curl and lots of volume. I'm going to try the bar again in the morning -- no protein pack this time, and this time I'll do an ACV.

Something that surprised me is that the shikakai seems to really bring out my hair color. After I washed with the powder, I kept noticing throughout the day, when I'd catch a glimpse of my hair, how bright my hair looked and how the color looked richer. After I washed with the shampoo bar (which has hibiscus in it, the jaswand), I saw that there was more red/coppery color in my hair -- which I like, but haven't seen much in a long time. The color from just one shampoo must be pretty evident, because today, my neighbor, an older retired gent who, in the 20 years I've lived here, has never commented on my hair before, was going on and on about how good my hair looked and how he liked the golden red color. :reindeer:Now, I know hibiscus rinses can be used to enhance red tones, but I never expected that one use of the shampoo bar would make any difference, and I am very surprised that using the shikakai powder the other day also seemed to heighten my color. :geek:
    Anybody else out there have this experience? KathyMack, you're so blonde -- I would think that the bar would have turned you into a redhead!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    RozettaStone, I was a natural blond into my late 20's/early 30's--it's the highlights and gray you see, LOL! My theory on the bars, after cowashing, is that they remove any residual product that cowashing didn't get. I use heavier products with oils and butters, so thought there could be residue. I used to do a Shikakai infusion, may have to do it again.

ETA: I used the Swastik Shikakai for a while until it dried me out--no color change.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file