Skincare advice needed

PigletPiglet Curl NeophytePosts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok, so I'm on a roll today with the advice hunting. I just think I've been looking horrible lately. I'm wondering anyone has any ideas for my nasty skin.

I'm very pale with ridiculously oily skin. Despite this, if I don't use moisturiser (oil-free) my cheeks get dry. My skin is also acne-prone. I get pimples and nasty spots around my nose and on my chin and jaw line mainly. I also get horrible blemishes all over my cheeks from time to time and my skin can just look horrible.

I've also got redness and tiny raised areas around my nose (probably from past acne). The redness is really strong. I try to tap foundation around it but it rubs off pretty quickly. I also still have a red mark from a nightmare spot from November 2006. My chin is often red too. Obviously all the redness looks worse due to having such pale skin. I'm wondering if a tan (from a bottle) might help.

I have been using Clearasil cleanser. It's for sensitive skin, has microbeads and salicylic acid. That ran out the other day, so as it wasn't working great, I just got a basic cleanser from Boots. I've got a separate facial scrub. I have to exfoliate really regularly (like every day) or foundation won't sit properly. My moisturiser is a basic Olay SPF 15.

Lastly, I have a tendency to get some discolouration around my mouth. Orange juice definitely exacerbates it. It's not due to needing to wash my face! It just seems to be very sensitive.

I use a basic face mask every week. I use Maybelline Everfresh foundation and some translucent powder.

My doctor recently started me back on Erythromycin. I vaguely remember it helping slightly with the acne, but mainly with the oiliness. Fingers crossed that works!

Does anyone have any suggestions for my strange and horrible skin?

Thanks.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Curl Connoisseur Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sounds like rosacea. the erythromycin should help with that.

there's more info here -

http://www.rosaceaguide.ca/
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • PigletPiglet Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm..interesting. Some of that fits. I have pinky cheeks although I don't get the flushing. My cheeks can look really blemishy and pimply on occasions though. The main redness is around the base of my nose and on my chin. I had previously put it down to bad acne in those areas in my teenage years leaving its mark, but now I'm wondering if it could be rosacea.

I have pale skin, hot water definitely aggravates it as does harsh rubbing. I've long avoided alcohol on my skin.

It's great that Erythromycin is supposed to help with this. Actually, I remember taking it a while back and it did help to clear up the red patches. I'm not sure why I stopped taking it. It may be that it stopped being so effective.
    It would be nice not to have to apply foundation to that area daily. Even when my skin is otherwise good, that's bad.

Thanks Rou. I really appreciate your help.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You might have rosacea, you might not. Rosacea is often very difficult for a doctor to diagnose, and I'm sure it's even harder to diagnose on a message board.

I will say, though, that you are using products that are really bad for the skin, and unless/until you get rid of them, you will probably continue to exhibit signs of rosacea.

I think you're in the UK, correct? I really don't know what products are available there that are skin barrier friendly. Rosacea folks do very well with non-detergent pH-neutral cleansers, a well-formulated SA for exfoliation, and emu/HA for moisture if needed.

I used to know a woman who would turn funky colors if she drank orange juice. It was like an orangey-green color, on her face, and under any jewelry she was wearing. I don't know the name of the condition, but some people have weird reactions to the acids in citrus juices, and I don't think it's necessarily related to rosacea.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I think you're in the UK, correct? I really don't know what products are available there that are skin barrier friendly. Rosacea folks do very well with non-detergent pH-neutral cleansers, a well-formulated SA for exfoliation, and emu/HA for moisture if needed.

PSF ships internationally if you want to try the great products from them that RCW recommends.

PSF
    International
    International orders may be shipped either by USPS Priority Mail International or Express Mail International to most non-US destinations. Actual shipping charges will be calculated at time of checkout based on package weight and shipping zone. We charge only the actual shipping fee required by USPS to ship to your location - we do not charge handling fees on your order. Please note that we only ship to the address provided by you during the checkout process. If you decide change the "Ship To" address once the order has been processed, your order may incur an additional shipping & handling fee to reroute the package to the new address. Please email our Customer Service department with any questions prior to placing your order. If you would like to insure your package, please send us an email at the time of your order & we will invoice you for insurance fees. Once an order has been processed & shipped, we cannot add insurance after the fact. Not all shipping services are available to all countries.
    Note: Pure Skin Formulations cannot be held responsible for international packages that are lost in transit or delayed or damaged by foreign customs officials.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • cmariecmarie Posts: 40Registered Users
    Also check out Paula Begoun's site (she is the official cosmetic cop). Her products are awesome and I find them better than PSF.
  • PigletPiglet Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't believe I forgot about this thread. Work has been a nightmare this past month or so. Thanks everyone for responding. Redcatwaves, you seem to be the board expert on skin care and I've read that you have oily skin. What products do you suggest for dealing with sensitive, ultra oily, acne prone skin? At the moment, I have large pores, red patches, dry patches, blemishes and pimples even on my cheeks. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file