Videos and childhood..

yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I only have a few pics of my babyhood and some pictures (not a lot) of my childhood. I've always wondered what it would be like to actually have a video of myself as a baby or a kid. I know a ton of people do...

and it kinda makes me sad that I don't. :(

Then again, my dad doesn't even have a picture of himself as a kid. That makes me sad, too.

ok. now I'm all depressed.

gee, thanks "CHARLIE BIT ME!!!!":cussing:

:crybaby:

Comments

• yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    p.s. and don't come on here and say how you have all of these wonderful little videos of yourself as a kid. Because that will really be annoying. If you can't be sad with me,......
    then..
    go away. :hmph:
    <insert tongue sticking out smilie here>
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Hee. I know how you feel. I have very few pictures of me as a child and no video. My mom never really saved anything either, so I have no plaster of paris hand print(spray painted gold) or ugly ass Christmas ornament I made in school.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a third child, so there aren't nearly as many pics of me as my older siblings, but there are still a lot. There are movies too. Not nice movies I can pop in a player though. They're all on 8 mm, so I haven't seen them in years, not since my parents' projector broke back in the 70's. I do recall some baby movies of me...wearing droopy cloth diapers. Sorry all you cloth diaper fans...cloth droops and doesn't look nice in pictures and video.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I have a few photos, and no video, but I can't say I miss it. There are enough photos that I can remember what I looked like, so what more do I need?

DH comes from a film-happy family, IMHO. Drives me crazy how many pictures and videos they have and take.

My DS was writing a paper for school about Christmas traditions, and the fact that we have to wait at the top of the stairs every year on Christmas morning while dad sets up the video camera made it into the paper. How pathetic is that? :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My DS was writing a paper for school about Christmas traditions, and the fact that we have to wait at the top of the stairs every year while dad sets up the video camera made it into the paper. How pathetic is that? :lol:

I thought everyone did that? My kids have to wait for the video camera to get set up. We always had to wait when we were kids for the movie camera and those enormous damned movie lights to be set up. Then we got to open gifts with blinding stage lights shining on us.
    My DS was writing a paper for school about Christmas traditions, and the fact that we have to wait at the top of the stairs every year while dad sets up the video camera made it into the paper. How pathetic is that? :lol:

I thought everyone did that? My kids have to wait for the video camera to get set up. We always had to wait when we were kids for the movie camera and those enormous damned movie lights to be set up. Then we got to open gifts with blinding stage lights shining on us.
    Ridiculous! Where's the joy, the spontaneity? When I was a kid, we just ran downstairs as soon as Mom and Dad were up and started tearing into things!

ETA: And truthfully, who is really going to sit and watch video of kids opening gifts if it's the same. thing. every. year?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    My parents never bought a video camera so there's no footage of us. A long time ago my dad found a cassette tape where he's trying to get me to say something and all you hear is Nooooo! in this little whiny voice (I was probably 3). There are quite a few pics of me, but fewer of my younger sister.

With our family now, we have tons of pics of our first and hardly any of the second. We recently started using our video camera again for my son's award ceremonies, winter concert, etc. We never watch them though.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    My mom took very few pictures of me b/c i was the 3rd child & she said she was too busy running after the older ones. Also, we didn't have a video camera. i am on 2 videos of my aunt's that I have seen. one is of me singing "All My Exes Live in Texas" by George Straight (beautifully I'm sure;) ) and the other is of my cousin's & & I playing house. That one is hilarious b/c I am a bossy littel $hit even though i was one of the younger ones!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    p.s. and don't come on here and say how you have all of these wonderful little videos of yourself as a kid. Because that will really be annoying. If you can't be sad with me,......
    then..

Will these smilies do? :tongue5: :tongue3: :tongue6:

I'm also the 3rd, so there are few pictures and fewer movies of me. :( So I'm with ya, yagotta.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a third, too. :(
    What's up with that?

Ok, so here's a sad story, and if you don't cry along with me, :crybaby: then I probably can't be your friend anymore:

There WERE videos of my older brother and sister.
    When I was born, the video camera broke.
    AND WE BECAME POOR. really, pretty poor.

Every once in awhile they (my family, usu. my bro. or sis) would watch home movies and there is my brother and sister all playing at the beach, and getting dressed up for Easter, and Christmas and opening all these presents and crap... and I would watch for awhile and then I'd sneak away and grab my little musical yellow elephant that played "you are my sunshine" over and over and just cry.

*sniff*

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

And y'know what else is sad? My little yellow elephant got thrown away by accident.

Aww! Poor baby! <crying with yagotta>

• noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    Awww, you must have been a darling baby, Yagotta!

I am the third child (all girls) in my family, so I can relate. There's far less film/photos of me. I used to feel sad at times, but now I realize that I came out ahead by not having a lot of expectations/pressure on me that my sisters had as the older daughters. It was pretty liberating to be the youngest!

:occasion9:
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
    Yeah, my parents were pretty broken in by then...but then they would pull that, "It's different- you're a girl..." crap out every now & then...

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    then..

I am with you. My mom sold our house and never went and cleaned out the attic (that is a whole different story) so all our photos/old movies - gone! Maybe the people who bought the house pretend they are their memories.

ETA-I am the 3rd too - so there were not that many photos of me anyways but still - not clean out your house??
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My parents never bought a video camera. I am 35 so I don't know how available or affordable there were at the time.

My aunts have video of their kids for every game, practice, pagent, school event, fart, burp, and sneeze. One aunt and uncle lived in another country when they had their first. They sent HOURS of video of baths, eating, puking, diaper changes. WHO CARES? Even a grandparent doesn't want to see that stuff. Theykeep wanting to get together and have a video night. WTF makes you think I want to sit through hours of your kid's freakin pagents and baseball games? Note: I didn't go WHEN THEY ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Perhaps I am bitter. I am doing lots of video and pictures of my own kid because I feel guilty about pretty much pretending not to be pregnant for 36 weeks. I have like two whole pictures of me pregnant.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i would love that,too.
    We have films of us from the late 60's to about 1982
    (I was born in 62)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    Thank you for being sad with me. :crybaby: :lol:

and xcptnl... ugh! The same sort of thing happened to me. All of my things were thrown away. Just about every single thing from my childhood up to my teen years was tossed out. Long story short, after my mom died, I moved out and ALL of my stuff was temporarily n storage at the old apt. I wasn't living there and they had a "storage room clean out day" and we were supposed to only leave behind what we didn't want. I didn't know about it. and every single last thing got thrown away. After losing my mom, and then to lose every scrap of my self...well, I can't tell you how devastating it was. Especially because I was an extremely sentimental type person...

But I guess it later taught me to not be so dependent on material things... that it's really the memories that count. Not the physical "things". Sometimes I forget that and I get sad... but there are a lot of people out there, that have horrible childhoods, so to be sad over physical stuff... well, it's not really that important when I think about it like that, I guess.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ... and I would watch for awhile and then I'd sneak away and grab my little musical yellow elephant that played "you are my sunshine" over and over and just cry.

*sniff*

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

And y'know what else is sad? My little yellow elephant got thrown away by accident.

7.gif
    After losing my mom, and then to lose every scrap of my self...well, I can't tell you how devastating it was. Especially because I was an extremely sentimental type person...

But I guess it later taught me to not be so dependent on material things... that it's really the memories that count. Not the physical "things". Sometimes I forget that and I get sad... but there are a lot of people out there, that have horrible childhoods, so to be sad over physical stuff... well, it's not really that important when I think about it like that, I guess.
    Same here, but I do have some of my old stuff. Yes, it's the memories that count most.

And I am crying with you over this now. :cry:

What is it with being the 3rd child and being neglected for photos, etc.? I don't have a baby album either. I guess they just don't have time with 2 others running around. I'm glad I only have one.
    Maybe being the 5th child is why I am so un-sentimental. I just say "eh-" and throw everything away. My kids will probably be in therapy over all this someday. :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Mar wrote: »
    i would love that,too.
    We have films of us from the late 60's to about 1982
    (I was born in 62)

Hubby was born in '64. Their dad has lots of video and pictures on slides (which we need to scan onto the computer--huge job--someone I know is procrastinating). My husband is #3, so there's a lot less of him, relative to baby #1.

My mom took more pictures of me when I was toddler, after she and my dad divorced. I think the time of my birth was a very rough patch for them, as there are very few pictures of me as an infant. I really do get a kick out of seeing pictures of myself as a kid. Watching video of myself would be so cool.

Needless to say, I'm a nut with the camera and the video camera, to a lesser extent.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    Maybe being the 5th child is why I am so un-sentimental. I just say "eh-" and throw everything away. My kids will probably be in therapy over all this someday. :lol:

Are you serious? You never struck me as the "eh" type.
    medussa wrote: »
    Poodlehead wrote: »

Are you serious? You never struck me as the "eh" type.
    Sadly, when it comes to documenting their lives, I am. I don't keep journals, I don't make scrapbooks, I rarely take pictures or video. Hubby takes plenty of pics and vid for the both of us. I do have bins full of stuff they made in school, but it's not neatly sorted and lovingly preserved.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I dated a man for a while who was a photographer. He was going through some old photos of my children once and remarked, "why aren't there any pictures of you?" He said that he often finds that Mom is the one behind the camera, taking the pictures of the children, pets, etc.

It made him sad because he said some of the best, most cherished photos are of a mother in all stages of motherhood. There are usually photos of mothers with a newborn but as the children grow, nobody takes pictures of Mom with the children anymore. His mother passed when he was a young adult and he always wished he had more photos of his mother in her 30's and 40's. :(

So if you are a parent with growing children, don't forget to make sure you are in photos with your children at all stages of their life! They will mean a lot to someone some day.

I have found this to be true when doing family research. I can find photos of the women in old age (Look here's grandma's 80th birthday!) but few in middle years.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    We took a trip to Florida a couple of years ago. The only photographic evidence that my husband was there is one picture of his foot.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I was the 5th child so there are no pictures of me. On the wall where all my siblings have nice formal baby portraits, I have a snapshot that was enlarged to 8x10. I once asked why I didn't have any formal baby pictures and was told that they had one once ---but gave it to Mrs. Stricker -a family friend.....go figure.

My dad didn't do videos either. There are a couple of slides when we went to the beach went I was 4 or 5 but that's about it.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'm sorry yagotta {{{hugs}}}

i have some photos and video of myself during my childhood.. but my parents did not photograph or video everything.. there is no baby book or journal or shoebox filled with my handprints.. my husband's family is different.. granted he was the first grandchild and a male in a latin family.. so he forever is their prince :lol: but he has the baby book, filled out including the lock of hair, it seems every moment of his life was photographed or is on video.. for his 30th birthday his mother made him a scrapbook, through his 30 years, including a color copy of his baby id band, birth announcement, and on..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I dated a man for a while who was a photographer. He was going through some old photos of my children once and remarked, "why aren't there any pictures of you?" He said that he often finds that Mom is the one behind the camera, taking the pictures of the children, pets, etc.

It made him sad because he said some of the best, most cherished photos are of a mother in all stages of motherhood. There are usually photos of mothers with a newborn but as the children grow, nobody takes pictures of Mom with the children anymore. His mother passed when he was a young adult and he always wished he had more photos of his mother in her 30's and 40's. :(

So if you are a parent with growing children, don't forget to make sure you are in photos with your children at all stages of their life! They will mean a lot to someone some day.

I have found this to be true when doing family research. I can find photos of the women in old age (Look here's grandma's 80th birthday!) but few in middle years.
    That is us. I sometimes use the timer on my camera for pictures with my kids, but there are almost no pictures of me and my kids because I am the avid photo taker. I have asked my husband a few times, but it's not really his thing. He always seems to take shots where I have 50 chins. :?

And I am not sure if it is just a 3rd child thing. I am a middle child and was often forgotten, not just in pictures.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Thanks yagottalove.....now I'm depressed. After posting a reply, I got real emotional and started crying. DH then started criticizing me saying that there's something psychologically wrong with a 48 year old woman who cries over not having any baby pictures. We then got into a huge fight about me not being able to share my feelings without being ridiculed.

Now, I'm digging up everything from my past that has lead me to my feelings of inadequecy...(ie my parents stopped coming to all school events when my brother graduated even though I had two more years to go. My dad's comments about my weight, etc. etc. etc.). And they wonder why I'm OCD and have struggled with eating disorders.

KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    aw, KKL -- (((BIG HUGS))) to you! Try to remember some good times in your life and let the rest go.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file