Birthday gift help for a 6 year old

internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
Paloma will be 6 on the 20th, and I am looking for gift ideas already. I happened to see the set below at Red Envelope and thought it was perfect. She's not so much into playing with babies, but she does love animals so some sort of animal play set would be nice. I like that everything is plush and not hard plastic. I would like to find more things like this in case there are more interesting play sets out there. Locally I have not seen anything similar. I would prefer sets with animals that look realistic rather than animals in dresses and such.

playseton5.jpg

Comments

• younggrasshopperyounggrasshopper Posts: 422Registered Users
    My youngest sister is 7. She is obsessed with the Littlest Pet Shop stuff. Much like what you have posted, only hard plastic and pastel colors- both of which are not so much what you are looking for. I haven't seen anything like that that is both furry and realistic, so I would encourage you to go for it. It is adorable.
    HCC + Kenra Condish + Biotera Gel and Leave In + diffusing = beautiful 3A spirals :)
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I think I might just have to get it. I love the owl!

Paloma already has plenty of Littlest Pet Shop stuff, or I would consider it. She loves it too.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    That's really cute!

You could try to FAO Schwarz website. They have about 15 categories of stuffed animals. There's a lot of stuff on sale too!

FAO Schwarz
    medussa wrote: »
    That's really cute!

You could try to FAO Schwarz website. They have about 15 categories of stuffed animals. There's a lot of stuff on sale too!

FAO Schwarz
    Oh I forgot about them! I wonder if they still have a store in Seattle.

They have the cutest bird nest on their web site!

867693_P.jpg
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Those are so cute! Do you have any locally owned toy stores near you? I've always found the best stuffed animals at local, independent toy stores. The ones I've been to seem to focus more on good quality, unique toys rather than mass produced on-every-kid's-Christmas-list toys.

If you're okay with ordering online, you might also want to look at Etsy. There a lot of really neat hand-crafted toys there!
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    That's really cute!

FAO Schwarz
    Oh I forgot about them! I wonder if they still have a store in Seattle.

They have the cutest bird nest on their web site!

867693_P.jpg
    If those are those damned chirping birds, they will drive you insane. :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ha! The web site did mention sounds.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Can you tell I love toys? I just keep coming back to this thread... :)

I looked up my favorite local toy store, and the brand of stuffed animal puppets that they sell that I LOVE is Folkmanis. They have really, really adorable animals. As I was looking for Folkmanis puppets online, I found this really cute set:
    304-05006.jpg
    It's the Folkmanis Sequoia Wildlife Playset. I think all of the animals are removable fingerpuppets. I found it here, but if you Google it, you might be able to find a better price. I just love it... I wish there were more little kids in my life to buy presents for!

ETA: It looks like Folkmanis toys are sold at several retailers in WA: http://www.folkmanis.com/pacific.htm
  • younggrasshopperyounggrasshopper Posts: 422Registered Users

Paloma already has plenty of Littlest Pet Shop stuff, or I would consider it. She loves it too.

Guano/

Yeah...there are 7 kids in my fam with significant age gaps, so Julia is like an only child with lots of caretakers...poor thing. But she is really good at self-entertaining when she needs to play by herself. She was given someone else's "hand-me-down" toys when their kids grew out of them (because after our toys had survived 6 older siblings...it was time for most of them to go...). She ended up with 54 littlest petshop animals. She has named them all. Placed them in family groups. And can tell you all about the group dynamics. "Tracy and Rose don't get along, but they are in a school class together, so they have to be nice. Courtney is sick today, so her mom had to stay home and take care of her......" jeez. I was never that attached to stuff. She is all about the imagination.
    When my parents and the kids who still live at home when to FL for vacation, I had to babysit Julia's very large, plastic horse Whitney. So I took Whitney ice skating, to the zoo, out for pizza, and took pictures so Julia could see she was well cared for while they were out. haha.....
    HCC + Kenra Condish + Biotera Gel and Leave In + diffusing = beautiful 3A spirals :)
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte

Guano/

Yeah...there are 7 kids in my fam with significant age gaps, so Julia is like an only child with lots of caretakers...poor thing. But she is really good at self-entertaining when she needs to play by herself. She was given someone else's "hand-me-down" toys when their kids grew out of them (because after our toys had survived 6 older siblings...it was time for most of them to go...). She ended up with 54 littlest petshop animals. She has named them all. Placed them in family groups. And can tell you all about the group dynamics. "Tracy and Rose don't get along, but they are in a school class together, so they have to be nice. Courtney is sick today, so her mom had to stay home and take care of her......" jeez. I was never that attached to stuff. She is all about the imagination.
    When my parents and the kids who still live at home when to FL for vacation, I had to babysit Julia's very large, plastic horse Whitney. So I took Whitney ice skating, to the zoo, out for pizza, and took pictures so Julia could see she was well cared for while they were out. haha.....
    Is that like dragging one of those gnomes around everywhere? lol
    Imagination is wonderful! :-)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Guano/

Ha! That is great. I love the things that kids can came up with :)

badgercurls that looks so cute! That site listed 3 stores near me that carry that brand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file