Why isn't this bigger news?

* Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users
People won't always tell you what kind of person they are - but the will always show you... Bill Clinton - case in point.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22926743

I have SO had it with the Clintons and their self-serving intentions. Thoughts?
If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.

Comments

• battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    I read the article and I fail to see what the big deal is. What about this bothers you?
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    tantrum wrote: »
    I read the article and I fail to see what the big deal is. What about this bothers you?

I don't see it either. It wasn't illegal. Self serving? Yes, but he isn't the president anymore, he's a private citizen (meaning not a government employee)and what he says and does as long as it is legal doesn't matter. Morally, yeah he's a squzz bucket, but how many politicians are there who are selfless? Not many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • KeyanaKeyana Posts: 5Registered Users

There's you're answer. I don't mean to be condescending to you Tantrum. But part of the reason it's not bigger news is that in reading the story it's not immediately evident to everyone what the problem is. We're use to having news fed to us in sound bites.
  • * Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users

Lack of ethics.

This bothers me in particular:

Mr. Clinton expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader’s bid to head an international organization that monitors elections and supports democracy. Mr. Clinton’s public declaration undercut both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan’s poor human rights record by, among others, Mr. Clinton’s wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

and this:
    Just months after the Kazakh pact was finalized, Mr. Clinton’s charitable foundation received its own windfall: a $31.3 million donation from Mr. Giustra that had remained a secret until he acknowledged it last month. The gift, combined with Mr. Giustra’s more recent and public pledge to give the William J. Clinton Foundation an additional $100 million, secured Mr. Giustra a place in Mr. Clinton’s inner circle, an exclusive club of wealthy entrepreneurs in which friendship with the former president has its privileges.

Gads...

eta: He is using his former position for personal gain which I find deplorable. He AND his wife will always put their personal goals first - no matter what the negative effect it might have on others inlcuding our country. They are both slippery. Always have been and always will be.
    If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Keyana wrote: »

There's you're answer. I don't mean to be condescending to you Tantrum. But part of the reason it's not bigger news is that in reading the story it's not immediately evident to everyone what the problem is. We're use to having news fed to us in sound bites.

If something in that article is so evident to you, perhaps you should point it out. I'm very well-informed in politics and current affairs, and I don't get my news in sound bytes.
  • * Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users

Wait - there's more:

"Those two men have harnessed the former president’s clout to expand their businesses while making the Clintons rich through partnership and consulting arrangements."

"Denials, then acknowledgment
    Both Mr. Clinton and Mr. Giustra at first denied that any such meeting occurred. Mr. Giustra also denied ever arranging for Kazakh officials to meet with Mr. Clinton. Wednesday, after The Times told them that others said a meeting, in Mr. Clinton’s home, had in fact taken place, both men acknowledged it."

So patently Clinton. What's good for me is good for me! Deny it until you get caught in the lie, then spin it. They are like mafia minus the whacking part.
  • KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
    Willow6886 wrote: »

Wait - there's more:

"Those two men have harnessed the former president’s clout to expand their businesses while making the Clintons rich through partnership and consulting arrangements."

"Denials, then acknowledgmentBoth Mr. Clinton and Mr. Giustra at first denied that any such meeting occurred. Mr. Giustra also denied ever arranging for Kazakh officials to meet with Mr. Clinton. Wednesday, after The Times told them that others said a meeting, in Mr. Clinton’s home, had in fact taken place, both men acknowledged it."

So patently Clinton. What's good for me is good for me! Deny it until you get caught in the lie, then spin it. They are like mafia minus the whacking part.

Wow, i'm definitely not fine with it.

I think the OP is onto something re news being spoonfed to us

and perhaps also we've become very cynical as a nation...still it is most troublesome that we are so ready to accept and excuse the most unethical behavior from people in positions of authority, power, and influence.
    If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell
  • KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
    Here's one reason for concern Tantrum. You have an ex- us president making public statements of support for a known dictator/human rights violator (who Clinton's own wife has spoken out against in the past) in the setting of millions of dollars being generated for Clinton (his foundation?) and his friend by their association with said known dictator.

And that just barely scratches the surface.
    If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Lack of ethics.

This bothers me in particular:

Mr. Clinton expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader’s bid to head an international organization that monitors elections and supports democracy. Mr. Clinton’s public declaration undercut both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan’s poor human rights record by, among others, Mr. Clinton’s wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

and this:
    Just months after the Kazakh pact was finalized, Mr. Clinton’s charitable foundation received its own windfall: a $31.3 million donation from Mr. Giustra that had remained a secret until he acknowledged it last month. The gift, combined with Mr. Giustra’s more recent and public pledge to give the William J. Clinton Foundation an additional $100 million, secured Mr. Giustra a place in Mr. Clinton’s inner circle, an exclusive club of wealthy entrepreneurs in which friendship with the former president has its privileges.

Gads...

eta: He is using his former position for personal gain which I find deplorable. He AND his wife will always put their personal goals first - no matter what the negative effect it might have on others inlcuding our country. They are both slippery. Always have been and always will be.

Yup. Slick Willie has been taking lessons from Jimmah Carter on undermining the US and this administration. Shouldn't surprise you. Clinton's Presidential Library (and Massage Parlor) has received tons of money from the Saudis as gifts, add to that the hundreds of thousands that he has received for 'speeches'.....he's finally been allowed to toss off that mantle of 'public service' that he's worn for decades and is now showing his true self.
    Besides, when did 'Clinton' and 'ethics' every show up in the same sentence without the modifier "lack of'? :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article3510778.ece

There was an article last week or so in a national paper talking about how to tell when someone is lying...they will look down and to left, they will bite their lip in an effort to keep from spilling the truth.
    Hmmmm....reminded me of all the times that Bill would bite his lower lip in a gesture of sincerity of how sorry he was. Oops!

Flame on!
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCL wrote: »

Wow, i'm definitely not fine with it.

I think the OP is onto something re news being spoonfed to us

and perhaps also we've become very cynical as a nation...still it is most troublesome that we are so ready to accept and excuse the most unethical behavior from people in positions of authority, power, and influence.
    RE: bolded text.. of course we are..

"Those business relationships are hardly ever disclosed to the viewers, and sometimes not even to the networks themselves. But collectively, the men on the plane and several dozen other military analysts represent more than 150 military contractors either as lobbyists, senior executives, board members or consultants. The companies include defense heavyweights, but also scores of smaller companies, all part of a vast assemblage of contractors scrambling for hundreds of billions in military business generated by the administration’s war on terror."

NY Times Story on supposedly objective analysts

There's a lot more to it also.. the idea is called "manufacturing consent" or "perception management". There is an entire section of the Pentagon dedicated to "Information Operations", where the messages in the media and news that the public receives is carefully crafted to present stories that are not designed to be objective, but very much biased.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file