Has anyone here tried Bacon Salt?

internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
My husband came across a site about Bacon Salt, and it got me wondering how it would taste. I love split pea soup, but I make it with lean ham so that I am not racking up the fat and calories. I thought instead of regular salt I could use this for a hint of bacon flavor, but without the fat of actual bacon.

Comments

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is some super interesting stuff and I'll be interested in responses too. My mother in law is a pescatarian (only eats fish, no meats) and I bet she'd be thrilled to hear about this stuff since it's veggie friendly. I'll have to look for it. :D Thanks for posting about this internetchick.

(Upon further inspection I see they don't sell it in CT so I might just order some!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL. I have not tried it, but my boyfriend forwarded me that link a couple weeks ago and he was very anxious to try it as well.

I, on the other hand, am going to steer clear from bacon-flavored corn.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bacon and vegetarian shouldn't go in the same sentence. :lol: It's not something I would try and I like both bacon and salt. I'll take the real thing, thanks.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    My husband came across a site about Bacon Salt, and it got me wondering how it would taste. I love split pea soup, but I make it with lean ham so that I am not racking up the fat and calories. I thought instead of regular salt I could use this for a hint of bacon flavor, but without the fat of actual bacon.

might be great on scrambled eggs! mmmm
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    spring1onu wrote: »
    (Upon further inspection I see they don't sell it in CT so I might just order some!)

I did a search and a grocery store about 8 minutes from me has it. I might go in a few days and pick some up.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I've heard of it, but I cannot eat it. Let us know, as I know a few vegetarians and koshers who would want to know.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought instead of regular salt I could use this for a hint of bacon flavor, but without the fat of actual bacon.

You know what else works really well for this: smoked paprika.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I thought instead of regular salt I could use this for a hint of bacon flavor, but without the fat of actual bacon.

They make smoked paprika??!

They make smoked paprika??!

:laughing9: That was my reaction too!

Yes, it's quite good. I use it in chili too.

Mmmmm
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users

Where did you find this??? I don't think I've ever seen this at Kroger. Kroger isn't much for variety, though. I've never seen Bacon Salt, either. I like bacon and I like salt, but I don't know about bacon salt. it sounds good for pea soup, but I don't know if I'd use bacon flavoring for much. I'd like to try it, though.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
    I'd be curious to know where you found it, and what brand it is.
    Here is is. It's McCormick's.

I got it at a Super Target [a Target that also has a grocery store].
    Thanks! Hope I can find it locally.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    I was watching Emeril Live yesterday, and he said he used Turkey legs, in place of ham hocks so that would be healthier. I bet smoked turkey legs would give it a nice flavor. I have also heard about using a little liquid smoke to get some of that smoky flavor without added calories or fat.
    I didn't notice that this is a seasoning salt and not a bacon flavored regular salt until I was looking at it in the store. I rarely use seasoning salt, so I didn't get it. The thought of seasoning salt in pea soup is yuck! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file