Compter recs

redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a computer. I am recently living alone again (left the S/O who was cuaght cheating but he said that it didn't count because he only had oral sex and that oral sex wasn't really sex. That's about as stupid as technical virginity.) and would like some recs.

I'd be using it for basic stuff: email, documents, spreadsheets, pic storage, CD and DVD burning, internet use and some gaming.

While I am smitten with the Dell XPS, it is probably more than what I really need and quite pricey at around $2500.

I've always had desktop and am not sure if notebooks are up to par with desktops or not. Any input would be helpful!
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have any specific recommendations. We build ours, but $2500 is definitely too much for a computer. We are shopping for ours right now. Now we aren't getting top of the line, but good enough that we could play virtually any game that comes out for the next few years and we're only spending 700 bucks. One good way of cutting down money, is not to buy the whole package. If you have a good monitor, keyboard and mouse. Just buy the case, that can drop the price of a computer dramatically.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have an HP Pavilion dv2500t, which is a wonderful notebook. It's got a 14.1" widescreen, a CD/DVD drive, 3 USB drives, two headphone jacks, and touch-sensitive media controls above the keyboard. Also comes with Vista, which I like.

But since you aren't a student, I might recommend the 6500 instead? It's a bit bigger, and seems to have a better battery life.

I love HP.
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I have an HP Pavilion dv2500t, which is a wonderful notebook. It's got a 14.1" widescreen, a CD/DVD drive, 3 USB drives, two headphone jacks, and touch-sensitive media controls above the keyboard. Also comes with Vista, which I like.

But since you aren't a student, I might recommend the 6500 instead? It's a bit bigger, and seems to have a better battery life.

I love HP.

I love my HP too. I recommend. I have the DV1000, which I got three years ago :). I would definitely get another one.

Sorry about the SO :angry7::sad8:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ladies, for the input!

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    we have a dell inspiron 8100 (i think is the number), a toshiba satellite, and a hp desktop (the processor is celeron, not sure which computer it is)..

the dell inspiron is the best computer for the money that we have.. dell inspirons are very user friendly and not obnoxiously over priced.. the toshiba satellite may meet your needs, and can be found at best buy or circuit city on sale sometimes..

you may also want to do a search.. i know we've discussed laptops and desktops before when others were in the market for a new computer :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    how about an iMac???

http://www.apple.com/imac/

:)
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    I don't see why you have spend any money.

I just heard a radio commercial about calling a number and they'll send you a free computer and they'll even throw in a free mp3 player and GPS system.

Just kidding-- but I really did hear that radio commercial, I just wouldn't recommend it:tongue5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's nice to have a computer now to be back online.

I got this guy. Enough RAM to handle Vista. I hope. I'm wireless for the first time and feel sort of updated!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8669504&type=product&id=1196470766824

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congratz on the new computer.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ohhhh...purdy! :D

Congrats on your new toy and have fun playing with it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file