Spinoff-the pregnancy and parenting board

13

Comments

  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    Peppy wrote: »
    I also get the feeling that some people would rather post a potentially controversial thread (circumcision or cosleeping for example) on Non-hair rather than on the appropriate forum. Much larger audience to argue with.

    I can see circumcision being controversial, but cosleeping? Really?

    Whaaa-? My parenting forums constantly get into the same arguments on cosleeping. I think we've even had a few here.

    We have.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    To quickly answer iris' questions:

    426 words later. that just made me giggle. :):)

    But who's counting? :profileright:
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm still holding out for sports (particularly football) to have it's own forum.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    ... I believe internetchick is a parent who is seldom on P&P...

    Yep. I don't like checking multiple sub-forums.

    And I will add that even though I am not advocating going back to not having a P&P forum, I do find that it has become less useful to post there. There isn't near the participation in threads that Non-Hair used to have. I don't miss long debate threads over parenting topics, but I do miss the interesting points of view and information that the threads used to have. P&P is active, but imo not very.
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the P&P forum separate. Aside from the myth that it causes immaculate conception, it seems like a nice informative place to ask question and get info from people who are genuinely invested in parenting topics.

    Unlike the non-hair board that can turn the simplest question into a circus. If any of you recall the "Should you take the plastic forks from McDonalds" thread...
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

    Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

    + TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i like having it seperate. i like how its a smaller more intimate group of ladies who regularly post and i like how those ladies are all either pregnant or have kids outside of the womb.

    there are some times when i think its appropriate to post a question that would fall under "parenting" out here but there are questions/comments/rants etc that i think do fair better in the p&p board. i think if someone wants more opinions and input than that board offers, they could join another site thats devoted specifically to parenting.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I'm still holding out for sports (particularly football) to have it's own forum.


    YES!!!!!



    Oh wait, I mean HELL YES!!!!!
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Keep it separate, imo. I do visit P&P occasionally out of curiosity (hopefully curiosity does not kill the cat, haha), but there's a reason why that forum was started, and I'd rather this one not go back to the way it was in pre-P&P days. While pregnancy and parenting may be a part of life, it's just not applicable to many of the posters here. No, I don't mind the occasional thread, like the breastfeeding one in question. But right before that forum was started, this one was getting overrun with P&P topics. Anyway, it seems like it's better for you parents who post there, because those topics would just get buried here pretty quickly.
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

    fotki pw= crrrls
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote: »
    Should it be a separate board? Amneris purposely posted a question about breastfeeding on here, not the P&P board, so that she would get more answers. A lot of posters with valuable knowledge miss threads that are on P&P. So would we be better served by just getting rid of the separate board and putting all P&P posts on Non-hair?

    Amneris, you also mentioned once that you didn't like having a separate board for P&P because it made you feel more isolated, like pregnancy was not a normal part of life.

    Thoughts?

    Well I think if it's not seperate then we would just have one big forum for everything. This board gets more hits than the hair, makeup, excercising boards, etc as well. I might occassionally post something here too if I want more responses(usually exercise or makeup).
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iris427 wrote: »
    I posted this question here so people who don't go to p&p can also weigh in. Do they like having p&p separate?

    Most emphatically yes.
    iris427 wrote: »
    Would they mind if it wasn't?

    Again, emphatically yes.

    No offense to anyone, but pregnancy isn't on my radar at all. It's actually a matter of irritation, as I want to have biological children, but it's looking less and less likely that I will.

    Sure I have to contend with other topics that might irritate me, but for sheer volume, P&P has them beat. There are some days where a 'today's posts' search [which is how I browse nc.com] results in more than half P&P threads. At least how things stand, I can identify those threads really easily and not open them if I'm not in the mood [which is about 90% of the time].

    As for the argument that the separate board makes some feel like pregnancy and parenting isn't part of life -- well, it isn't part of my life, or many people's lives. I'm not pregnant, and I'm essentially not allowed to voice an opinion on parenting issues, never having been a parent myself.

    One of the focuses of my life right now is yoga. If I want to discuss yoga at length with people, I need to visit a yoga forum. Someone who wants pregnancy and/or parenting to be more of a focus should go to one of the gazillion [I'm told] P&P forums available out there.

    As for the breastfeeding thread being posted in non-hair, I thought it made sense, since Amneris was looking for responses from all kinds of people, not just people who would have reason to visit P&P.

    So, I have no problem with the way things are. I think it's a reasonable set-up as it is. Would not relish any changes, however.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    iris427 wrote: »
    I posted this question here so people who don't go to p&p can also weigh in. Do they like having p&p separate?

    Most emphatically yes.
    iris427 wrote: »
    Would they mind if it wasn't?

    Again, emphatically yes.

    No offense to anyone, but pregnancy isn't on my radar at all. It's actually a matter of irritation, as I want to have biological children, but it's looking less and less likely that I will.

    Sure I have to contend with other topics that might irritate me, but for sheer volume, P&P has them beat. There are some days where a 'today's posts' search [which is how I browse nc.com] results in more than half P&P threads. At least how things stand, I can identify those threads really easily and not open them if I'm not in the mood [which is about 90% of the time].

    As for the argument that the separate board makes some feel like pregnancy and parenting isn't part of life -- well, it isn't part of my life, or many people's lives. I'm not pregnant, and I'm essentially not allowed to voice an opinion on parenting issues, never having been a parent myself.

    One of the focuses of my life right now is yoga. If I want to discuss yoga at length with people, I need to visit a yoga forum. Someone who wants pregnancy and/or parenting to be more of a focus should go to one of the gazillion [I'm told] P&P forums available out there.

    As for the breastfeeding thread being posted in non-hair, I thought it made sense, since Amneris was looking for responses from all kinds of people, not just people who would have reason to visit P&P.

    So, I have no problem with the way things are. I think it's a reasonable set-up as it is. Would not relish any changes, however.

    I could've written this post almost verbatim.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    iris427 wrote: »
    Should it be a separate board? Amneris purposely posted a question about breastfeeding on here, not the P&P board, so that she would get more answers. A lot of posters with valuable knowledge miss threads that are on P&P. So would we be better served by just getting rid of the separate board and putting all P&P posts on Non-hair?

    Amneris, you also mentioned once that you didn't like having a separate board for P&P because it made you feel more isolated, like pregnancy was not a normal part of life.

    Thoughts?

    I haven't read the whole thread so this may've been mentioned.

    Frankly, I don't want to have to be slapped in the face with all the pregnancy threads. It's one thing for me to CHOOSE to go to the P&P board - and sometimes I do - but I really don't want to see the threads on non-hair.

    I'm happy for pregnant people, but I'm also human, and it makes me sad. I have to gear up to visit P&P. I don't want to have to gear up to visit non-hair.

    ETA: Just read the post Peppy quoted. Yes. What she said.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Rock on with your bad self.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I vote separate, you want to talk about BFing, put it on the parenting board!
    2b/3a.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I thought a big part of having a separate P&P forum was to keep out well-intentioned but basically irritating childless morons such as myself from posting "I don't have kids, but BLAH WAH WAH WAH." For that reason alone, keep it separate. Unless you really want to know what this childless moron thinks. Sometimes the temptation to post is just too great.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I like it because I really don't want to hear zzzmanzzz's opinion on anything pregnancy or parenting relate. I guess it goes along with the childless moron line of though. Not that I mind when childless people post on those threads and visit that forum, but it seems to me that a childless person who specifically goes into P & P is less likely to be a moron. Whereas here on the non-hair board you are more likely to get random drive-by stupidity, so to speak.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

    Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Also, the boards have been around since May of 1999. They've gone through myriad changes, as you can imagine. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Rock on with your bad self.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm still holding out for sports (particularly football) to have it's own forum.
    :laughing7:
    ain't gonna happen...
    
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    To quickly answer iris' questions:

    426 words later. that just made me giggle. :):)
    :lol:
    you counted..what a dork...
    
    :toothy7:
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I'm guessing she did a quick copy and paste into Word. ;)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Rock on with your bad self.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    doh.gif
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Bianca wrote: »
    I like the P&P forum separate. Aside from the myth that it causes immaculate conception, it seems like a nice informative place to ask question and get info from people who are genuinely invested in parenting topics.

    Unlike the non-hair board that can turn the simplest question into a circus. If any of you recall the "Should you take the plastic forks from McDonalds" thread...

    I also vote for keeping P&P separate, although it's nice to have actual birth announcements (with pictures) on the main non-hair board, so more people will know there is a new baby. Definitely good to keep all the gory details of P&P in a separate space. Those who are involved or interested can check and get good information quickly. Those who aren't, don't have to wade through those threads. It seems to work and doesn't seem to need fixing.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

    (taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I like it separate. I don't come here too often but was glad to see that board existed right after I had my little one 13 months ago.

    Add: I also want to follow up by agreeing on what geeky said about the possibility of coming across "random drive-by stupidity" when posting pregnancy/ parenting topics on the non-hair board vs. the pp board. I happened to me when I was first pregnant and I openly admitted here I was in an unplanned pregnancy and was unsure about what I wanted to do. I was harshly criticized by a couple of folks who replied (though I don't recall them being regular members here) and I honestly believe that wouldn't have happened if I had posted my information on the p&p board. That's what kept me away from here for a while.....
  • noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »
    I like it because I really don't want to hear zzzmanzzz's opinion on anything pregnancy or parenting relate. I guess it goes along with the childless moron line of though. Not that I mind when childless people post on those threads and visit that forum, but it seems to me that a childless person who specifically goes into P & P is less likely to be a moron. Whereas here on the non-hair board you are more likely to get random drive-by stupidity, so to speak.

    :laughing6:
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PartyHair wrote: »
    iris427 wrote: »
    Should it be a separate board? Amneris purposely posted a question about breastfeeding on here, not the P&P board, so that she would get more answers. A lot of posters with valuable knowledge miss threads that are on P&P. So would we be better served by just getting rid of the separate board and putting all P&P posts on Non-hair?

    Amneris, you also mentioned once that you didn't like having a separate board for P&P because it made you feel more isolated, like pregnancy was not a normal part of life.

    Thoughts?

    I haven't read the whole thread so this may've been mentioned.

    Frankly, I don't want to have to be slapped in the face with all the pregnancy threads. It's one thing for me to CHOOSE to go to the P&P board - and sometimes I do - but I really don't want to see the threads on non-hair.

    I'm happy for pregnant people, but I'm also human, and it makes me sad. I have to gear up to visit P&P. I don't want to have to gear up to visit non-hair.

    ETA: Just read the post Peppy quoted. Yes. What she said.

    Excellent points. I thought of these yesterday, but figured if someone doesn't understand why p&p should be separate, they'll lack the understanding on this.
    Geeky, :laughing7: at drive-by parenting. It's so true.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Paula wrote: »
    I like it separate. I don't come here too often but was glad to see that board existed right after I had my little one 13 months ago.

    Add: I also want to follow up by agreeing on what geeky said about the possibility of coming across "random drive-by stupidity" when posting pregnancy/ parenting topics on the non-hair board vs. the pp board. I happened to me when I was first pregnant and I openly admitted here I was in an unplanned pregnancy and was unsure about what I wanted to do. I was harshly criticized by a couple of folks who replied (though I don't recall them being regular members here) and I honestly believe that wouldn't have happened if I had posted my information on the p&p board. That's what kept me away from here for a while.....
    I was wondering where you've been [besides fighting w/ ebay...lol]
    Good to see you back! :-)
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    iris427 wrote: »
    Should it be a separate board? Amneris purposely posted a question about breastfeeding on here, not the P&P board, so that she would get more answers. A lot of posters with valuable knowledge miss threads that are on P&P. So would we be better served by just getting rid of the separate board and putting all P&P posts on Non-hair?

    Amneris, you also mentioned once that you didn't like having a separate board for P&P because it made you feel more isolated, like pregnancy was not a normal part of life.

    Thoughts?

    I haven't read the whole thread so this may've been mentioned.

    Frankly, I don't want to have to be slapped in the face with all the pregnancy threads. It's one thing for me to CHOOSE to go to the P&P board - and sometimes I do - but I really don't want to see the threads on non-hair.

    I'm happy for pregnant people, but I'm also human, and it makes me sad. I have to gear up to visit P&P. I don't want to have to gear up to visit non-hair.

    ETA: Just read the post Peppy quoted. Yes. What she said.

    Excellent points. I thought of these yesterday, but figured if someone doesn't understand why p&p should be separate, they'll lack the understanding on this.
    Geeky, :laughing7: at drive-by parenting. It's so true.

    I understand that too, thanks for your input, PartyHair.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would keep it separate. Just because it's easier to go back and find a thread with info your looking for. I rmember the days of the one HUGE P&P thread. Not easy to find information in.
  • LisaAnnLisaAnn Posts: 436Registered Users
    Definitely seperate. It's a matter of moderators moving topics that don't belong, after awhile people know they need to put certain topics in certain forums.
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    I like that the boards are separated. I like looking in on the other boards and finding information quickly, without going through a billion multi- page threads about pt cruisers and shower curtains .
    I don't think pregnancy, political or other threads should be moved if they are put on the non-hair board . I don't see the big deal like webbie said it is all non-hair anyway, so put it where you want. If we don't want to read it we won't .
    :binky::roll::eye:
    national anthem for self-pity :binky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like having separate boards for specific topics, including P&P.

    I do think that complaints would be minimized if there were a "hide thread" feature. Users could self-moderate and just hide the threads that don't interest them.

    I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file