Spinoff-the pregnancy and parenting board

Comments

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    I have done it myself, but usually post a link to my other thread in the correct forum and ask posters to visit it for comment. :)

That's what I would do.
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote: »
    webjockey wrote: »
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.

If that's the case, then why were all the other forums even created? Why not just have two forums, hair and nonhair?
    That's how it used to be. It got too crowded and hard to find threads, so they created others.

WOW! How old is naturallycurly.com??? I see a lot of 'the board used to be..' posts here :tongue5:
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    Iris wrote:

Thanks! I announced it in p&p several weeks ago ;)

thanks goodness for your signature! :wink:

Yep haha

Actually my original post in p&p was along the lines of "I just got a positive HPT and now I'm freaking out." Not a very happy post. I thought of announcing over here on non-hair once I was done freaking out, but I never got around to it.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.

If that's the case, then why were all the other forums even created? Why not just have two forums, hair and nonhair?
    That's how it used to be. It got too crowded and hard to find threads, so they created others.

WJ is saying any nonhair thread can stay in nonhair forum, since it's all nonhair. Then why create all those other forums if it doesn't matter. I was here when the board was old, I remember what it was like. What's the point of having all the forums if we don't use them?
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    iris427 wrote: »
    Iris wrote:

Thanks! I announced it in p&p several weeks ago ;)

Yep haha

Actually my original post in p&p was along the lines of "I just got a positive HPT and now I'm freaking out." Not a very happy post. I thought of announcing over here on non-hair once I was done freaking out, but I never got around to it.

you're sort of making my point. You expressed concern that P&P was isolating and yet as I see it, even without going to P&P I somehow know of your pregnancy. Words gets around. the parents and newlpy pregnant are lucky to have a special place where one topic is discussed. no weeding through all those pesky non-hair threads :)
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

iris427 wrote: »

Yep haha

you're sort of making my point. You expressed concern that P&P was isolating and yet as I see it, even without going to P&P I somehow know of your pregnancy. Words gets around. the parents and newlpy pregnant are lucky to have a special place where one topic is discussed. no weeding through all those pesky non-hair threads :)

I'm ok with that ;)

I didn't really have a point in this thread; I started it to find out what others think.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WOW! How old is naturallycurly.com??? I see a lot of 'the board used to be..' posts here :tongue5:
    I believe they started it in late 1999 or early 2000. I joined in 2000, as well as gekko and many others! We're oldies! ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have no problem with occassional pregnancy or parenting threads on the Non-Hair forum. Just as I don't mind book, makeup or exercise topics over here, either.

But I still think P&P should have it's own forum.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Well if you ask me....the only threads that should be separate are the P&P and the Curly Book Club. All others should be together (purely selfish reasons clearly). :toothy7:

Oh.....nobody asked me? :tongue5:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WJ is saying any nonhair thread can stay in nonhair forum, since it's all nonhair. Then why create all those other forums if it doesn't matter. I was here when the board was old, I remember what it was like. What's the point of having all the forums if we don't use them?

But they do get used, at least the P&P forum does. It's nice that the forum is there, but that doesn't mean every single topic pertaining to parenting HAS to go there. Most of them do go to the specific forum, but I don't think it's necessary to get all up in arms (not saying you specifically do) when someone posts a topic that could fit in a more specific forum.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I like having the separate P&P forum. I feel more comfortable posting questions or whatever else over there without worrying about people on Non-Hair thinking "there's Pixie with ANOTHER thread about her baby...." Also, when I don't have lots of time to spend on NC I'll often just check P&P.

That said, I don't think all threads should be automatically moved. I think Amneris had a very good reason for putting her thread on Non-Hair and I could see myself doing the same thing if I wanted to hear more/varied responses about a certain topic.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    I want to weigh in here too. I don't post much but have been an active lurker on the board for a long time. I like having the P&P board because usually people announce their pregnancy and births there and sometimes I don't get to check the board everyday and I used to miss more such announcements. I think it also makes it easier for women who have miscarried to avoid.

I don't personally mind when someone posts a P&P question on the Non-hair forum. Most of the posters that do it post a lot and are looking to get responses from posters/readers that don't venture to P&P. I like Medussa's idea about posting a link but quite honestly wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do that and don't have the time or inclination to learn. I'm not sure if we need the recipe forum or not. It seems as if we get more spammers there than legitimate posters sometimes.

I like that the NC forums for the most part aren't mucked with too much (well except for the actual format) and that moderation is kept well moderate.:profileright:
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I like it being a separate board. I personally like being able to find all the p&p topics without having to wade through celebrity gossip. And I can appreciate that lots of people have no interest in kids, or for personal reasons find it painful to read about pregnancy and babies.
    I don't find it isolating.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    So it looks like people so far like it the way it is. Thanks for the responses, I was curious.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »

But they do get used, at least the P&P forum does. It's nice that the forum is there, but that doesn't mean every single topic pertaining to parenting HAS to go there. Most of them do go to the specific forum, but I don't think it's necessary to get all up in arms (not saying you specifically do) when someone posts a topic that could fit in a more specific forum.

Yuppers. I see the other boards as an option, not a mandate. Besides, Non-hair-except-pregnancy-recipies-politics-fitness is an awfully long title. :occasion9:
    hello.world.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote: »

I agree, but then I disagree too. I agree with gekko that WHY would you create the book forum, if people post here about books? Why would you create the 1A, 3B hair forums when you have the general discussion about hair forum? Makes little sense to me, honestly. People post their questions here "to get more answers." Well, again, why create all the subforums if people aren't going to use them for what they are created for?
    :rambo:
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I like it separate. My "baby" is almost 15. I don't really need baby/child advice anymore and any teen questions I may have I could always refer to people who I already know have teens. Like 2happy, since she seems to have my daughter's twin up there with her. :tongue5:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the P&P forum being separate. One of the problems I have noticed sometimes when stuff is posted on the non-hair board, is that you sometimes get a lot of opinions on what you should do from people who have no kids. And although they might be well meaning, but kids laugh in the face of plans. The ideal and the reality are two very different things.
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    If I could offer a different side to it...

I'm shy. I rarely start topics on the non-hair board. They are usually in the subforums. I'm not interested in starting a thread that gets turned into six pages of debate. For instance, I've posted questions on the fitness forum because I wanted a few opinions about something specific. I wasn't interested in people telling me I was fine how I am or that women are held to impossible to meet standards, etc. All great topics, but not really what I'm looking for. I just want some opinions from people who are interested enough in fitness to visit the board.

For people like me, the sub forums are great because we can be part of the community at a level that is comfortable for us.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Aries_jb wrote: »
    For people like me, the sub forums are great because we can be part of the community at a level that is comfortable for us.

Excellent point.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    I also get the feeling that some people would rather post a potentially controversial thread (circumcision or cosleeping for example) on Non-hair rather than on the appropriate forum. Much larger audience to argue with.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    To quickly answer iris' questions:

Yes, I don't love the P&P board (though I do use it and get some helpful information there) because to me it makes it seem as if pregnancy and parenting are not a part of regular life, so yes, it's isolating. Also, it seems to target parents of young children, as I regular see questions about parenting teens or college students here, and no one says to take that to P&P, but when the topic has to do with babies and toddlers, that seems to be the implication with some posters. There is a politics board, but people almost always discuss politics here, a makeup board and people almost always discuss makeup and skin care here, a book board but people are always asking "what are you reading" over here - because those are all parts of life that it is hard to separate from other parts of life, so why would your own children be any different? I don't see people in the Obama/Clinton threads saying to take it to the politics board. I think new parents face enough isolation and change in their social lives without it having to extend to on-line communities.

Yes, I am sure people post about Obama and Clinton here rather than politics to get more opinions and better debate. This is a bad thing now???? Stimulating debate/conversation? Isn't that the point of most threads?

Yes, I posted the breast feeding thread because I figured there are people with kids who have breast fed (or chose not to) and who have posted on it, but generally don't go on P&P. Springcurl comes immediately to mind, and I know there are others. I believe internetchick is a parent who is seldom on P&P. There are people with friends and family members who have faced these decisions who don't have their own kids but may have insight. Perhaps there are nurses or lactation consultants here who are not parents. I thought some of those posters (not necessarily those two, but anyone) might chime in. Kindredspirit posted about a babysitting experience and she is not a parent. I was not originally intending for it to be a debate about whether breast feeding is best, but since it now is that, I do think that that is an interesting and important discussion for everyone, not just parents and certainly not just those who are currently doing it. The whole issue of breast feeding has to do with society's attitudes in general and discomfort with a thread about it is part of the whole problem.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Peppy wrote: »
    I also get the feeling that some people would rather post a potentially controversial thread (circumcision or cosleeping for example) on Non-hair rather than on the appropriate forum. Much larger audience to argue with.

I can see circumcision being controversial, but cosleeping? Really?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

geeky wrote: »
    I like it being a separate board. I personally like being able to find all the p&p topics without having to wade through celebrity gossip. And I can appreciate that lots of people have no interest in kids, or for personal reasons find it painful to read about pregnancy and babies.
    I don't find it isolating.

But lots of people have no interest in many topics that are posted here too and others may find other topics painful as well (like hearing about relationships if you are single and not loving it or hearing about people with good parents if you had bad ones or your parents have died.) There is always the choice not to participate in any thread or topic - why would this one be singled out above the others?

.png

534Pm5.png

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte

i joined in sept of 1999...a LONG time ago
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Amneris wrote: »

Whaaa-? My parenting forums constantly get into the same arguments on cosleeping. I think we've even had a few here.

Munchy wrote: »

Whaaa-? My parenting forums constantly get into the same arguments on cosleeping. I think we've even had a few here.

I must have missed those, because I can't imagine what there is to argue about with cosleeping... honestly!

.png

534Pm5.png

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Munchy wrote: »

I must have missed those, because I can't imagine what there is to argue about with cosleeping... honestly!

This is just wikipedia, but it gives you some idea of the controversy. I don't want to explain a lot because it will totally hijack the thread.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-sleeping

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [quote=
    Munchy
    ;477725][quote=
    Amneris
    ;477720]
    I also get the feeling that some people would rather post a potentially controversial thread (circumcision or
    cosleeping
    for example) on Non-hair rather than on the appropriate forum. Much larger audience to argue with.

I can see circumcision being controversial, but
    cosleeping
    ? Really?[/quote]
    Whaaa
    -? My parenting forums constantly get into the same arguments on
    cosleeping
    . I think we've even had a few here.[/quote]

Very little surprised me in what people will
    argue
    about when it comes to kids. On another board I seen discussions about diaper ointment turn nasty, even went to the point of name calling. Apparently some people seem to think that even 1 case of diaper rash=severe neglect.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    To quickly answer iris' questions:

426 words later. that just made me giggle. :):)
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file