Spinoff-the pregnancy and parenting board

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
Should it be a separate board? Amneris purposely posted a question about breastfeeding on here, not the P&P board, so that she would get more answers. A lot of posters with valuable knowledge miss threads that are on P&P. So would we be better served by just getting rid of the separate board and putting all P&P posts on Non-hair?

Amneris, you also mentioned once that you didn't like having a separate board for P&P because it made you feel more isolated, like pregnancy was not a normal part of life.

Thoughts?
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
«134

Comments

  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I thought it became separate because there were too many posts re: p&p on the non-hair board and it was overwhelming for many posters.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    I thought it became separate because there were too many posts re: p&p on the non-hair board and it was overwhelming for many posters.

    There was originally one thread for all the p&p posts. It was like 1000 pages long and overwhelming and hard to follow. I don't know that we ever tried just having individual p&p threads in the non-hair board though.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    I thought it became separate because there were too many posts re: p&p on the non-hair board and it was overwhelming for many posters.


    you beat me to it munchy.:) the P&P forum exists for a reason. This is clearly a P&P topic. I'm wondering why a guide hasn't moved it to the appropriate forum. Is there a special dispensation for those who don't want to use it?
    There was originally one thread for all the p&p posts

    there was originally a ton of "Hey I'm pregnant" et al threads on Non-hair then one person decided to start a 'Pregnant curlies check in here thread', which consolidated a lot of the miscellaneous threads. the resulting forum was created for a reason and it wasn't to corral all the mommies. no need to regard it as such.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]


  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    Munchy wrote: »
    I thought it became separate because there were too many posts re: p&p on the non-hair board and it was overwhelming for many posters.


    you beat me to it munchy.:) the P&P forum exists for a reason. This is clearly a P&P topic. I'm wondering why a guide hasn't moved it to the appropriate forum. Is there a special dispensation for those who don't want to use it?

    I posted this question here so people who don't go to p&p can also weigh in. Do they like having p&p separate? Would they mind if it wasn't?

    Amneris said in her first post on the other thread that she posted it here to get more answers. ETA So that made me think there is something off here, if someone has to purposely NOT post something on the designated board just to get more responses.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Ooops, sorry, I should have moved it. No special treatment, just didn't think about it. Should I move it now?
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The P & P forum should stay separate. There were so many pregnancy threads here before.
    There are separate forums for exercise, food and recipes, being over 40, etc. There's nothing wrong with creating a specific place to post questions and have discussions on those particular topics. Meaningful conversations can develop in the different forums without the topics getting buried by other 'non-hair' interests.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    I'm glad it was made a separate board. It appears to be pretty active over there, and keeping P&P separate is nice for those of us who have no interest in it / don't have kids.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I think it should be moved.
    AFA as getting more answers on this board, if you look through that thread most of those who answered already go to the P&P forum regularly. If one wants to champion breastfeeding, that's great and noble, but it should be done on the P&P board.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    There are separate forums for exercise, food and recipes, being over 40, etc. There's nothing wrong with creating a specific place to post questions and have discussions on those particular topics.

    ITA.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

    You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

    Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Amneris said in her first post on the other thread that she posted it here to get more answers.

    I'll admit that I didn't recall reading that disclaimer from Amneris' original post. I started reading that thread a few days ago I must have forgotten that she had a reason for posting a P&P topic in non-hair. But P&P is a pretty happening forum from what I can see.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]


  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    At first I thought it was a good idea. I have found that I participate waaaay less on P&P now that it is separate. But that is because I am just lazy. :lol: I check P&P once or twice a week usually.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    I think it should be separate as well. And I've never understood why if someone posts a hair question on non-hair, it's immediately moved but pregnancy ones aren't. I've seen people post hair questions on here because they say they rarely go to the hair board and wanted responses from "people they know". If those posts get moved, why wouldn't the pregnancy ones be moved even if they were posted here to "get more responses"?
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the P&P forum. It's an active forum, and I know that when I have a question, it will be read and answered promptly by people who know what they're talking about. In Non-Hair, such topics would likely get buried before they are seen by the people with recent pregnancy/birth experiences.

    I don't know about moving topics though. Amneris posted the thread here because there are many, many mothers here who have experience with the topic (breastfeeding) but maybe had their kids long enough ago that they no longer visit the P&P forum. I think that's a valid reason to post the question here.

    If that thread gets moved, then I think all political/election, skin/make-up, and exercise/diet threads also need to be moved to their appropriate forums. Personally, I don't think that's necessary.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think when it was created there were also about a million (it seemed) pregnant posters/posters with newborns.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »

    I don't know about moving topics though. Amneris posted the thread here because there are many, many mothers here who have experience with the topic (breastfeeding) but maybe had their kids long enough ago that they no longer visit the P&P forum. I think that's a valid reason to post the question here.

    If that thread gets moved, then I think all political/election, skin/make-up, and exercise/diet threads also need to be moved to their appropriate forums. Personally, I don't think that's necessary.

    I agree
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    If that thread gets moved, then I think all political/election, skin/make-up, and exercise/diet threads also need to be moved to their appropriate forums. Personally, I don't think that's necessary.

    I think that doesn't quite match up becuase it's not like P&P is a low traffic forum. If there were barely a post over there, I can see huntin for more fertile ground but, as I said before P&P is hopping.

    Iris: I see that you're expecting (congrats). Does being in the family way as you are have any bearing on your opposition to p&p? Did you feel this way before?
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]


  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.
    hello.world.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    webjockey wrote: »
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.


    Egg-zactly.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    the resulting forum was created for a reason and it wasn't to corral all the mommies. no need to regard it as such.

    The reason some of us may feel this way is because pregnancy related thread seem to always draw a negative response. I see threads in non-hair all the time about a new book someone is reading, but I don't see anyone telling them to take it to the book forums. There are lots of threads with people asking parenting advice for their older child, and they're apparently allowed in the non-hair club as well, even though their question would clearly fit better in the Pregnancy and Parenting category. But when someone posts about pregnancy or birth or anything immediately related, they are almost always jumped on. You say it has nothing to do with wanting to isolate these posters, but given the facts, what are we supposed to think?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »

    Iris: I see that you're expecting (congrats). Does being in the family way as you are have any bearing on your opposition to p&p? Did you feel this way before?

    Thanks! I announced it in p&p several weeks ago ;)

    I am actually not opposed to p&p. I was one of the people who originally suggested it. I was just wondering how other people felt about it, given Amneris's post. If she felt the need to post here instead of p&p to get enough responses, it made me wonder if p&p was actually isolating these threads too much.

    It seems most people like the current arrangement. I am fine with it either way.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    Amneris's reasons for posting the thread here are very valid, even getting input from those of us without children. I say let that one slide.

    But I'm not sure I want to wade through a whole bunch of pregnancy and parenting threads/posts. Please keep it a separate board.
    Curlies add me on myspace!

    www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When the board was first created, I was all for it becausee it seemed that there were tons of P&P threads in Non-hair.

    P&P seems quite active enough to warrant its own board.

    I can see why Amneris' question is here though also.

    Sometimes non-hair gets bogged down by political threads and I wish they'd get moved. I guess it's all subjective.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    If that thread gets moved, then I think all political/election, skin/make-up, and exercise/diet threads also need to be moved to their appropriate forums. Personally, I don't think that's necessary.

    I think that doesn't quite match up becuase it's not like P&P is a low traffic forum. If there were barely a post over there, I can see huntin for more fertile ground but, as I said before P&P is hopping.

    But if you're not a regular poster in that forum, how can you judge whether you would get sufficient responses to a certain topic? If Amneris's thread was posted in P&P, she would have gotten very different responses than she did and the overall discussion would have had a completely different feel to it. Obviously she was looking for a different kind of response, so she posted it here.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris's reasons for posting the thread here are very valid, even getting input from those of us without children. I say let that one slide.

    But I'm not sure I want to wade through a whole bunch of pregnancy and parenting threads/posts. Please keep it a separate board.

    I agree.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i like it being separate. i don't read it much since i'm not preggie and don't have kids but i occassionally read it. sometimes i post a makeup question on the non-hair board instead of the makeup board to get more responses. i don't think it has to be a hard and fast rule. i know fitness questions come up here too. a lot of topics flow into other topics so having them on the non hair board doesn't disturb me. i'm a big search person to see if something is already out there and having separate boards is nice because you can search within a specific board.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Yes, there is a need for a separate board. There is no "rule" about where people should post and there shouldn't be.

    I think if a person needs and wants input from everyone, it makes sense to put it here, since we all know a lot of posters avoid the P&P board or simply have no interest in it.

    I see a recipe thread here almost every other day, it seems. I don't cook, so I don't read them.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The P & P forum should stay separate. There were so many pregnancy threads here before.
    There are separate forums for exercise, food and recipes, being over 40, etc. There's nothing wrong with creating a specific place to post questions and have discussions on those particular topics. Meaningful conversations can develop in the different forums without the topics getting buried by other 'non-hair' interests.
    Agree. I don't take offense that ladies over 40 have a separate forum for our topics, or those who color. :D It does help keep things easier to find, as many of those topics get buried on the non-hair board.

    But if someone purposefully posts a thread here to get others involved, no big deal, let it be. I have done it myself, but usually post a link to my other thread in the correct forum and ask posters to visit it for comment. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Iris wrote:


    Thanks! I announced it in p&p several weeks ago ;)

    thanks goodness for your signature! :wink:
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]


  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.

    If that's the case, then why were all the other forums even created? Why not just have two forums, hair and nonhair?
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

    You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

    Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gekko422 wrote: »
    webjockey wrote: »
    in my mind, this board = non hair. so everything's that's not hair related could stay - including posts that could be in other non-hair forums.

    If that's the case, then why were all the other forums even created? Why not just have two forums, hair and nonhair?
    That's how it used to be. It got too crowded and hard to find threads, so they created others.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file