Aloe Vera gel

anonymous_1037anonymous_1037 Registered Users Posts: 213
Do any of you ladies use 100% pure aloe vera gel on your scalp and hair, or do you mix it with something else like water?

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I haven't used it in a while, but I take a leaf of aloe vera, smash it up and apply it on my hair. I make sure to use gloves since the smell is not too appealing to me.

You can also add a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Registered Users Posts: 421
    do u use 100% olive oil and coconut oil? if so where do u get them? i have always wanted to try coconut oil in my hair simply because i love the scent and i love coconuts, lol
    do u use 100% olive oil and coconut oil? if so where do u get them? i have always wanted to try coconut oil in my hair simply because i love the scent and i love coconuts, lol

You can buy coconut oil at GNC. I buy mine at a local Indian store and its pure coconut oil that I have to microwave for 10 seconds. I love the smell and wish I could eat it LOL I LOOOOOOOVE coconuts too! Especially coconut ice-cream.

Make sure its 100% coconut oil when you purchase it. I love the way it feels. I also love olive oil with honey in my hair.
    - Maria

ok thanks for the info. u have a local indian store in ur neighborhood? man ur lucky. i dont think i would b able to find anything like that around here. do u know which brand of coconut oil i can get at GNC?
    i looked at the GNC website for the coconut oil, but i only see the tablets...should i go to the store instead and buy it?

http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=coconut%20oil&origkw=coconut%20oil&sr=1
  • akilamoniqueakilamonique Registered Users Posts: 302
    happy 4b wrote: »
    Do any of you ladies use 100% pure aloe vera gel on your scalp and hair, or do you mix it with something else like water?

It's funny that you posted this, because I was just about to post that it was suggested to me yesterday to try aloe, or aloe & glycerin mix, and post my pictures:

Click here

I was told that it is great for moisture and won't make your hair crunchy. I am on a quest to find the easiest, simplest daily routine without continuing with my PJ ways. I've purged and detoxed this weekend, narrowing my addictions to: Blended Beauty Happy Nappy, Curls by Sisters Smith(very cheap, works, but after reading the ingredients I realize it's got 4 things, I can make that myself-and I actually had 3 of the 4 ingredients), Aloe Vera Gel, and Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Condish. I did buy some coconut oil from walmart last night, and put it on my skin before bed, OMG, my skin feels GREAT!
    ACV Rinse 2-3 times a week
    Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    Curly Kinks: Satin Root, Coil Jam
    Castor oil on scalp
    ooo what brand of coconut oil was it? and how did u like the aloe in ur hair?

You can order coconut oil from the website Fromnaturewithlove.com I'm actually surprised you didn't see it. I saw some at the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday.

The attached picture is the coconut oil I bought from the Indian store
    - Maria

Yesterday I bought some and today I applied it to my hair. I loooooove the way my hair came out. Its like gel but you don't feel it in your hair at all whatsoever! No crunchiness and I can play with my curls. I've attached 2 pictures for you to see. Aloe Vera is my new HG.
    - Maria

mariag002 wrote: »

You can order coconut oil from the website Fromnaturewithlove.com I'm actually surprised you didn't see it. I saw some at the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday.

The attached picture is the coconut oil I bought from the Indian store

o ok thanks for the info. now u said u put some of this in the microwave to melt it?? how long do u put in microwave for?
    mariag002 wrote: »

Yesterday I bought some and today I applied it to my hair. I loooooove the way my hair came out. Its like gel but you don't feel it in your hair at all whatsoever! No crunchiness and I can play with my curls. I've attached 2 pictures for you to see. Aloe Vera is my new HG.

your curls look really soft in the photo. did u wash and condition ur hair first? and did u let ur hair air dry with the aloe vera in it to get this look?
    and did u mix the aloe vera with water or anything or did just put aloe vera alone?
  • jenniferohjennyjenniferohjenny Registered Users Posts: 29
    I use AV gel by itself and mixed with gels or leave in cons. I use it to cornrow, twist & smooth my edges. I use coconut oil on the regular as well. The coconut oil i use on my scalp and hair, the AV gel I never use directly on my scalp, if it gets on there good (lol).
    My hair album: http://members.fotki.com/jenniferohjenny/about/
    updated 2/23/08

Last relaxer: November 1, 2007 4PM
    Currently transitioning back to natural
    Length: shoulder
    Texture: allegedly 4b, fine, more wavy than curly
    and does the coconut oil really keep ur scalp moisturized?
  • CurlydollCurlydoll Registered Users Posts: 19
    You can get coconut oil at Whole Foods (and it's organic, 100% unrefined, and it smells good too). I'm going to guess there's a Whole Foods near you (since they are everywhere these days:lol:). If not, Trader Joe's or Wild Harvest is a good alternative (or any health food store). If that's not available where you live, try a West Indian/Caribbean Store, they would most definitely have it!
    thanks for the tip curlydoll
  • jenniferohjennyjenniferohjenny Registered Users Posts: 29
    and does the coconut oil really keep ur scalp moisturized?

oil (from what i've read) does not moisturize, it keeps the moisture in. but in a nutshell, i can say yes it does. since it is natural it does not clog pores and it is light. i don't like heavy oils, coconut oil "soaks" in so-to-speak. it is absorbed in my scalp and hair. i use it to seal the moisturizers in after i towel dry and again when i spritz moisturizers in my hair between poos. i also use it on my feet, arms and legs in the summer. i didn't like the stuff from whole foods because of the smell. the stuff i got from the bss is odorless. i think it is b/c the Spectrum brand is virgin and the bss stuff is pasteurized or whatever they call it when they process it. but it is 100% coconut oil, no additives. it melts on contact w/ the heat in your hands.

i use the coconut oil after moistureizers & leave-ins and before styling products. also as a finisher for sheen.
    My hair album: http://members.fotki.com/jenniferohjenny/about/
    updated 2/23/08

Last relaxer: November 1, 2007 4PM
    Currently transitioning back to natural
    Length: shoulder
    Texture: allegedly 4b, fine, more wavy than curly
    well i purchased 100% coconut oil by cococare from a regular beauty supply store. i put some on my scalp and i like that it made my hair soft but i had two issues with it. i tend to have an itchy scalp, so it didnt take care of that and the smell is horrible. like it doesnt smell good at all.

i have yet to check in the vitamin shoppe for the coconut oil so maybe i will go there and check it out soon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file