To grow or not to grow?

elizabethelizabeth Posts: 3Registered Users
I've been wanting to grow out my hair for a while now. My hair is type 3a/3b and is currently about shoulder-length. My main worry about growing out my hair is that it will lose a lot of its curl. Does anyone have any experience with this?

For reference:

Comments

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    WOW!! You have absolutely gorgeous curls! How long do you want to grow it? At shoulder length, your hair is pretty curly, so I would think you would still retain curl depending, of course, on how long you want to go & how your hair behaves. I know my hair gets curlier as it gets longer. I lose curl at the top of my head but it spirals and curls more on the ends. I'm a 2-3a, though -- no 3b on my head!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhubarbarinrhubarbarin Posts: 22Registered Users
    I think depends on your individual hair type. I have a friend who's a 3a/b, whose hair got much curlier when she grew it past her shoulder. Mine is now mid-back and seems to be straightening out a great deal.. I am planning on growing it super-long, even if I lose all my curl.

My advice is just to let it grow and see what happens. If you are not happy, you can cut it off. :) But if you never grow you'll never know..
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Your curls are gorgeous! I agree with rhubarbarin. You won't know what is going to happen until you try growing your hair. We all have a certain length at which our hair is curliest, it varies from person to person. I can't tell if your hair is layered or not. Layers can help with keeping both length and curliness.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I honestly can't imagine those curls going anywhere, they look very strong. I think it would look stunning if you grew it long. But like the others said - you won't know unless you give it a go.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file