a newly confirmed, hated ingredient

Lots of products, especially straightening, have an ingredient called guar in it (listed hydroxypropyl guar or guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride frequently). I have officially decided that my hair HATES :angryfire: this stuff!

The following products contain it:

GF Soft Curl Cream
Bain de Terre All Day Straight Safflower Smoothing Gel
Frederic Fekkai Straight Away and Texturizing Gel
Graham Webb Stick Straight Smoothing Gel
Redken Crystal Curls
Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock Leave-In Moisturizer

and many, many more.

Ironically, if it's really low in the ingreds, I can use it occasionally (like PM the Cream), but I still get a lot of rat's nesty-looking frizz that becomes crimped easily in humidity or a slightly warmer day.

Just had to share my :evil1:...
2b w/ some 3a
product tester geek

Comments

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ugh.

What is it with the new silicones & waxes I've been seeing too, for instance, iso-something-cane? I'm officially on strike looking at ingredients lists since things seem to be hidden in new names anymore! ETA: Or maybe they've always been around & never knew about them. I don't mind cones, but something else that'll build up on anyone's, everyone's hair, like paraffin wax or mineral oil, no matter how it's written?! No thank you!

:disgust:
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Laurabeth, what does the guar do to your hair that you don't like?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lazy loops wrote: »
    Ugh.

What is it with the new silicones & waxes I've been seeing too, for instance, iso-something-cane? I'm officially on strike looking at ingredients lists since things seem to be hidden in new names anymore! ETA: Or maybe they've always been around & never knew about them. I don't mind cones, but something else that'll build up on anyone's, everyone's hair, like paraffin wax or mineral oil, no matter how it's written?! No thank you!

:disgust:

Do you mean isododecane? That is in the BioInfusion conditioner I got and I am still not sure if evil or not.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    xcptnl,

That was it. I was looking on-line for that ingredient & I also found isohexadecane, which I don't think I've ever seen before either.

http://www.innovene.com/genericarticle.do-categoryId=9002883&contentId=7005786.htm

Oh well, I guess it really doesn't matter what I use if I'm using a sulfate cleanser, a low one at least. :dontknow:

I just wonder how they'll come out with a c-betaine type cleanser.

Laurabeth,

Do tell what that one ingredient does to you hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file