possible hair loss...or just damage?

Hi...well I've been really struggling with my hair lately...I will tell you my dillemma and you tell me what you think...
I've always had really thick hair....thick strand as well as a lot of hair....well lately it's been thinning up on top....however it only seems to happen around the place where I part my hair (on one side only)...I'm not sure if I'm going through hairloss or if I just damaged that side from all the stuff I did to my hair...I've dyed my black hair blonde twice and I've noticed this starting the second time I dyed it blonde...then I did a relaxer (a gentle one but it's still a relaxer)...
Although my hair did generally thin out after the blonde the part that looks like it has hair loss is concentrated around my part (I've been parting it on this side for like 5 years)...if I do it in the middle or if I try to part it on the other side it seems ok...
Should I go to the dermatologist to check it out??
TIA
Was 3b then I did a soft relaxer and I think I'm now a 3a
pw: curly

Comments

• butterflyPrincess777butterflyPrincess777 Posts: 350Registered Users
    I also forgot to mention that I frequently blowdry my hair straight (more often straight than curly) and I always part it to the same side...
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    Do you see any broken hairs around that area? I would think if it was breakage there would be some. It could be that the chemicals on your scalp could of caused a hair loss. You said you noticed alot of shedding. Its strange it is just in that area though since your whole head went through the same process. Ok I have to confess I really dont know if you are worried I would go to the dermatologist.
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    I agree with missy60. If it's damage, you should see breakage and a halo of stray baby hairs sticking up around the area of breakage. With the processing you've done, I would think breakage is possible. And when you straighten, you tend to pull more from the area of the part, or at least, I do.

But if it's not breakage, it's always good to see a doctor. You could see your primary care doctor since there are lots of health issues besides dermatological such as thyroid disorders that can cause hair thinning. Your pcp may be a better choice to diagnose the issue or put your mind at rest.

I had thinning from highlights that were overprocessed, causing a lot of shedding, which was really breakage.

Good luck!! And please tell me how you got your waves in the first picture of your fotki. Did you use a curling iron or straightening iron? It looks great!
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
    well I've had breakage around to top of my head since I did the blonde highlights so it's hard to tell....but there is a lot less hair around the part where I usually part my hair than there is in other areas of my head....like for example if I part it the other way the hair looks fine, and if I part it in the middle it also looks fine...
    I get my blood checked regularly and it's been fine...
    Maybe I'll go check it out for peace of mind...and in the meantime I really gotta take it easy on my hair :(

Botticelli..in the first pic I basically did my hair curly and the second or third day I kinda flat ironed the curls and they turned into waves...I loved the way it looked that day!
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    OK, I'm so jealous. My curls would never look like that 2 days later and running a flat iron over. :cry:
    But thanks for the pointer. I'll try it this weekend for fun.
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds to me like all the coloring and whatnot is catching up with you.

The area where it's parted is exposed all the time to other stressors, like the sun and wind. If your hair is already compromised, it makes sense that this area would show the most cumulative damage.

I know when I used to color and blow dry, the underneath of my hair was always silky and healthier compared to the top layer which got the brunt of the elements most of the time.

I would start regular DTs and use a lot of TLC and lay off the chemicals. It'll come around.
    Ya I'm definitely laying off the chemicals :)
    wild~hair did your hair thicken out again once you started taking better care of it?
    boticelli, when I had the blonde highlights the hair was naturally more "relaxed" so it wasn't too hard to do....it's too curly now to do it like that....I've done it but I've never had quite the same results...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file