How much do you pay for a haircut

susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
and how often? (Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move to correct one) Just wondering a bit at the different prices around the country.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I usually pay around $50-$60(prior to tip) with a Deva trained stylist. I thought it was a bargain - she spent about 2 hours on me between cutting dry - then wetting/conditioning/styling - under the heat lamps and then doing some touch ups!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    I live in AL and spend about $80 (after tip) every 3 months.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
    styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I've spent $50 - $80 locally, $145 at the Devachan Salon in Soho, deva cuts are definitely the way to go for curls, IMO.

ETA: I'll be going back in July, then again in Nov. for Rosie's cuts.
    2b/3a.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    $40- $60, about 3 times a year. Next week I'm getting a Deva cut, so it may be more?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I go to Devachan in NYC. I pay around 135, once a year and worth every penny! :wink:
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • ECCurlyECCurly Posts: 285Registered Users
    About $90 for a Deva-trained stylist cut once every six months or so.
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair
    Chin-length - growing it out...again.
  • linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    $50 plus tip for single process color and cut. I go every 4-5 weeks because my hair grow so fast that my roots look horrible at 4 weeks. Also, I'm keeping my hair just at shoulder length (when curly) in the front. Getting it trimmed every time helps keep it there.
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
  • BamaCurlyQBamaCurlyQ Posts: 213Registered Users
    Most recent trip, color and cut was $73 after tip. That's in Alabama
    Very Curly and Thick hair.
    3a/b.
    I think I have medium hair with normal to high porosity. And I need all the moisture I can get!!

Currently using:

C: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing
    S: Ouidad CQ/Pureology Hydrate

LI: AG Fast Food

Stylers: AG Re:coil (super soak), then CIAB and some CHS CK on top.

**trying CCCC & Beuticurls LI

Style: scrunch and finger curl where I see the hair is not clumping well. Diffuse.
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    I go only once a month to get roots covered (that must mean i'm older) and only once every 4 months to the Curly Hair Institute for a tunnel cut. When i go and get my roots done they only charge me for the colouring - around $30 - since I walk out of the salon with dripping hair. (yes even in the winter.) I live in a very small town - and no one can cut curly hair - so I went to them and asked if they would be just willing to colour.......and voila $30 every 5 weeks.
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    I'm in TX. I have a local (not Deva) stylist who does a great job on my long layers. (She loves curls even though she doesn't have them herself.) I spend around $50 (including tip) for a haircut.

I trim 2-3 times a year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I pay $65 (not including tip). I live in the Dallas area. I get my hair cut maybe 3 times a year, so I have no problem spending the money to see someone who does a good job. I've been going to my stylist for 7 years now, and he's wonderful!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Posts: 245Registered Users
    I'm in the burbs of Philly, I pay about 50 bucks including tip for just a regular cut, no deva trained stylist. I go probally 4 times a year, she is very good with curls and they use the Deva products there.
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh I just don't!! If I went to the salon, it would run me about $50 - $60, and I would come home hating the job he/she did, and I'd end up fixing it myself.

I trim about every 3 to 4 months.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    $24 ($30 with tip)
    I've been going to the same stylist for 11yrs now, I love her and can't argue with her price..she's good to me:)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • 1curlydoc1curlydoc Posts: 158Registered Users
    I pay $40 plus tip for a Deva cut. I've been going about once every 4 months and she does a fantastic job. This is in Denver.
    thick 3b; currently loving Devacurl and Kinky-Curly

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    1curlydoc wrote: »
    I pay $40 plus tip for a Deva cut. I've been going about once every 4 months and she does a fantastic job. This is in Denver.

Where, what's her name?
    2b/3a.
  • The Dark QueenThe Dark Queen Posts: 105Registered Users
    I live in the Bay Area/East Bay of California. I just found a good stylist (not a Deva trained stylist or anything) at Changes Salon who has mindblowingly beautiful curls herself. She charged me $47 for a wash/cut/slight diffusing. I was extremely pleased :toothy7: I never used to get my hair cut regularly, but this year, I will, and shall return to Natasha every 8 weeks, I think.

Another salon in San Francisco charged me $80 for a cut; she was great, but I think that it's overpriced now. That same salon has an amazing colorist though and I return for him.
    WHO: Sensitive skin? Visit my Blog for honest reviews. http://sensitivesolutions.blogspot.com
    WHAT: 3a
    WHERE: The Bay Area, California
  • 1curlydoc1curlydoc Posts: 158Registered Users
    1curlydoc wrote: »

Where, what's her name?

Hey, CurlyinCO. I've been going to Julia at Shapes. I think we might have talked about this when I was trying to decide about going there and you said you had seen someone else there. I saw Richelle (the owner) once but we didn't really click. But I met Julia that day and I've seen her twice since then. She does a great job. I sent my sister to her and she loves her too. I even like the way she styles my hair and that's a first for me! You should give her a try!
    thick 3b; currently loving Devacurl and Kinky-Curly

• alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    I pay $49 for cut and root touch-up (not including tip) about every 8 weeks in Alabama.

BRANDYC and BAMACURLYQ, are you by chance in the B'ham area? If so, where do you get your hair cut and who does it? My stylist is so swamped that I *almost* had to switch when she said she couldn't fit me in for about 3 weeks. :shock: She had a cancellation and squeezed me in, but after that, I feel like I need a "backup."
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I live in the Bay Area/East Bay of California. I just found a good stylist (not a Deva trained stylist or anything) at Changes Salon who has mindblowingly beautiful curls herself. She charged me $47 for a wash/cut/slight diffusing. I was extremely pleased :toothy7: I never used to get my hair cut regularly, but this year, I will, and shall return to Natasha every 8 weeks, I think.

Another salon in San Francisco charged me $80 for a cut; she was great, but I think that it's overpriced now. That same salon has an amazing colorist though and I return for him.

I didn't know you were local! :) Here I was raving over your hair in the other thread, and I admired your cut. Where is the Changes Salon and who is the stylist? And where in SF did you go before? Please let me know!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    I have paid anywhere between $30 and $90 here in the SF Bay area. The lower end was a regular cut, no styling. The Highest was my devacut.
  • The Dark QueenThe Dark Queen Posts: 105Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »

I didn't know you were local! :) Here I was raving over your hair in the other thread, and I admired your cut. Where is the Changes Salon and who is the stylist? And where in SF did you go before? Please let me know!

Yeah, a local girl! Where do you live? So cool -- and what a small world :blob7: I checked out your photos -- you have great hair, very pretty too.

Changes Salon is in Walnut Creek; my stylist is Natasha; with wash/cut/style/light diffusing = $47. In San Fran, I went to the Patrick Evan Salon and saw Vonia; wash/cut/style = $80. (When I say she was overpriced, the $80 is actually her normal price, but compared to Natasha, it's a little hefty.)

Now, because I like getting a blow-out every once in a while (hold your stones! LOL), I ask my stylists to cut my hair so I can wear it both curly and straight. Natasha and Vonia both knew how to cut curls, though it wasn't a strictly-for-curls cut. But, honestly, they're both confident wielding their scissors and curls don't scare them. While Vonia was very good, she took a lot of the "poof" (the extra body) out of my hair, which I felt later, made it somewhat too thinned out. It still looked great though in curls. Natasha left my hair naturally thick, like I asked, and just layered it nicely. So, either way, you win with these talented women :thumright: Both have easy-going, non-overly-chatty personalities, which I like too. Let me know if you ever visit either of them!
    WHO: Sensitive skin? Visit my Blog for honest reviews. http://sensitivesolutions.blogspot.com
    WHAT: 3a
    WHERE: The Bay Area, California
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Only $13 for me!

I found a great stylist who has curly hair herself when I took my son to have his hair cut at Super Cuts.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    [quote=1curlydoc;477255

Hey, CurlyinCO. I've been going to Julia at Shapes. I think we might have talked about this when I was trying to decide about going there and you said you had seen someone else there. I saw Richelle (the owner) once but we didn't really click. But I met Julia that day and I've seen her twice since then. She does a great job. I sent my sister to her and she loves her too. I even like the way she styles my hair and that's a first for me! You should give her a try![/quote]

I might have to try them also. That's a pretty good price. I'm in FC and don't really have a regular one, although I did try someone over at one of our Aveda salons and I like the way it looked and the way it has grown out...at for $20 (inc tip) I can train her as we go. She graduated from the school where I get my hair colored, then Aveda trained for almost a year in Denver. I do need to get back for a cut.

I can remember paying $40+tip years ago when I lived in Houston. I used blow dryer and hot rollers then and he knew how to cut my hair.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Yeah, a local girl! Where do you live? So cool -- and what a small world :blob7: I checked out your photos -- you have great hair, very pretty too.
    Thanks! Sending you a PM. :)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    $85 (I think?) before tip, for a Deva-trained stylist in Brooklyn. I see her 3-4 times a year, but when my hair was long I only had to go twice a year.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file