Coloring Hair

curlijessicurlijessi Posts: 6Registered Users
My curls go limp and frizzy after coloring, does anyone have any suggestions on coloring grays?

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    You could try doing a moisturizing DT before you color. I think you're supposed to wait a week (?) after DT-ing before you color, otherwise the dye will not penetrate the hair as well. And 10 days post-dye do a protein DT, followed immediately by a moisturizing one.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most people here will tell you to use Robert Craig color because it won't dry out your hair.

I am not one of those people! Although I like the way RC color doesn't dry out my hair like regular hair color, I am really put off by having to endlessly experiment with getting the color just right. I don't have the patience.

But I recently discovered Matrix ColorSync -- it's demi-permanent but lasts on me just as well as permanent color did. (Of course, the fact that I don't use shampoo probably has a lot to do with that.) The colors have a lot of depth, too. Any salon that uses Matrix products will likely have this available.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    You could try doing a moisturizing DT before you color. I think you're supposed to wait a week (?) after DT-ing before you color, otherwise the dye will not penetrate the hair as well. And 10 days post-dye do a protein DT, followed immediately by a moisturizing one.

I always do this the other way around. I figured the protein DT before the color would help strengthen my hair before the process and doing a moisturizing one a week after would be less harsh on the color as well as putting in more moisture after the color. Have I been doing this all wrong?:confused5:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »

I always do this the other way around. I figured the protein DT before the color would help strengthen my hair before the process and doing a moisturizing one a week after would be less harsh on the color as well as putting in more moisture after the color. Have I been doing this all wrong?:confused5:

I don't know! I have read that you should use a protein DT post-color to help repair any damage that was done. I don't know if doing one beforehand is helpful or not. But if this has been working for you, I don't really see any reason to change your routine!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • curlijessicurlijessi Posts: 6Registered Users
    I do a protein DT before and sometimes a few days after. My hair still loses curl for at least a week. I think its the dye. It happens less with demi permanent, but then the grays are not covered as well. I am going to try Robert Craig.
  • curlijessicurlijessi Posts: 6Registered Users
    I used Robert Craig and it was amazing. I have tried almost every brand of hair dye, permanent and semi-permanent and they all make my hair feel like straw and go limp. Robert Craig didnt. I want to buy like a whole box of it. This is the only dye for me now! YAY!
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »

I always do it this way also. I was even given advice to apply a protein treatment right before coloring and leave it on my ends to get even coverage. I was having a little problem with the ends sort of grabbing to much color.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Satin brand hair color is all the rage over on makeupalley's hair board. I haven't tried it. It's supposed to cover grays better than other brands. Some Ultas carry it.
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Okie doke, I have a question or two then. Cause both my parents have a lot of gray hair. By the time my Dad was 35 he was salt and pepper gray. Now he is 55 and almost all white. My Mom dyes her hair cause of all her grays. I am then one who posted the other day that the Colorfix didn't work and kinda fried my hair. Well, I was thinking(when I bought the colorfix) to hopefully be able to have my grays just blended away slightly with some highlights.
    Anyhoo, after thinking of how my parents have grayed and how my chances are I am thinking of dying my hair close to my haircolor and getting some wine-ish color highlights....just lightly.

Questions:

1) Has anyone tried the combo I am looking for?

2) What should I use to DT before and after?

TIA!!!:toothy8:
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file