Yet Another Drying Ingredient

redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have come to the conlusion that my hair dislikes large amounts of panthenol. I have tried it in all seasons now with equally blah results.

I find this odd as it is supposed to be a humectant, but oh well.

Now I see why things that others love, such as Jane Carter items and Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic do not work well for me and are drying.

I don't know if anyone else out there notices this, but I though I'd put it out there in case anyone was noticing dryness that they could not pinpoint.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't seem to like panthenol either. I get big poofy hair whenever I use something with it.
    I think that's why my hair has always hated Pantene, even the cone free mousses and gels because they're loaded with panthenol.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Hmmmm..........I've never really thought about this ingredient. I'm always so careful looking for cones and sulfates that I haven't thought much about what other ingredients might do. I have figured out that poly-11 will make my curls looser and there's not as much hold and poly-4 works the opposite on me. Also know that my hair loves peach and aloe. I'm going to have to check the products I've used & noticed dryness with and see if panthenol is listed.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote: »
    My hair doesn't seem to like panthenol either. I get big poofy hair whenever I use something with it.
    I think that's why my hair has always hated Pantene, even the cone free mousses and gels because they're loaded with panthenol.

Yes, I get the poofies too along with the dryness.

It makes sense that Pantene stuff would have lots of it since they play up their "provitamin B complex" and panthenol is the provitamin of B5.

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    Aaand vitamins are proteins, so there you go.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Reviving this thread to ask RCC if she has a list of products with no panthenol? I've spent a few hours looking at ingredients and it's really hard to find stuff without panthenol in it. Though in my case, I think panthenol causes extreme limpness. But any product recommendations are welcome.

I've found the following CG products without panthenol (but some have protein, oils, and/or beh meth):
    Mop C Hydrating poo and co
    Sweet Eddie By Nature poo and co and spray
    EO Orange poo
    HSH Chocolate Soymilk poo
    Naked Naturals Awapuhi and Lavender poo
    CJ CA poo
    CJ Curl Rehab
    Curls Goddess Glaze
    HETT Mousse, Gel
    Duchess of Curls

Anyone else care to add more?
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Thanks RCC! I'm adding these to my list.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    And your list was even alphabetized!
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    solidgold wrote: »
    And your list was even alphabetized!

Whoa, it mostly was, and it was totally accidental. :lol:

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There was a recent discussion on the 4a board and I wondered if I was alone in my Panthenol reaction!

AOMM totally gave me dry fuzz but if I use only a little and layer KCCC on top I get ver defined curls. Like I've just done a PT.

I like KC Spiral Spritz for the same reason and the ingredients for it are very similar.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • stefflynhstefflynh Posts: 410Registered Users
    Hmm. I've been struggling with lower dews & drieness. I'm finding the HETousleMSoftly mousse is working really well over CIAB, which could be due to no pathenol. I also never got a better reaction from a treatment then I did with Joico K Pac. I gave up on all my low poo & condishes containing Biotin, Vit B, etc., since they really react poorly in my hair-frizzy & super dry. I'm thinking they may have pathenol in them? I will check it out. I find this very interesting...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
    CIAB is about the only styler with panthenol that doesn't freak my hair out. I still can't handle much if it or it feels like dry frizzies.

Panthenol, provitamin B5, or anything that says vitamin B is the same thing.

• stefflynhstefflynh Posts: 410Registered Users
    CIAB is about the only styler with panthenol that doesn't freak my hair out. I still can't handle much if it or it feels like dry frizzies.

Panthenol, provitamin B5, or anything that says vitamin B is the same thing.

Oh! I had no idea CIAB had pathenol in it. I ordered it since it mentioned no protein, so I assumed pathenol wouldn't be in it...isn't pathenol a form of protein? I'm still experimenting with this product. I did notice I have much better results when I use it as a base instead of a top layered styling product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
    Nope, panthenol is a vitamin/pro-vitamin, not a protein.

CIAB does work well for me. CJ stuff is well formulated and tends not to fall into the same issues of ingredient intolerances that many other lines do. well, for me anyway.

ASQ, you had some mad search skills to find this old thread!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file