Satin pillow case problem

ttrowerttrower Registered Users Posts: 33
I bought a satin pillowcase at Sally's this weekend. It makes my head sweat and so although my hair doesn't feel like a brillo pad any more, all my curls shrink up close to my head. No chance at 2nd day hair and i like like a QTip in the morning.

Is there a difference in satin? anyone else have this happen. I did the bc about a month ago and have about 2 inches of fro. Should i have splurged for a more $$$ pillowcase?

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    ttrower wrote: »
    I bought a satin pillowcase at Sally's this weekend. It makes my head sweat and so although my hair doesn't feel like a brillo pad any more, all my curls shrink up close to my head. No chance at 2nd day hair and i like like a QTip in the morning.

Is there a difference in satin? anyone else have this happen. I did the bc about a month ago and have about 2 inches of fro. Should i have splurged for a more $$$ pillowcase?

Yep, silk satin is a natural fabric. What you have is probably polyester satin and that is synthetic. Silk is far more luxurious and breathable.

Rayon can be a good compromise.

But you can buy a few yards of any of these at a fabric store and make your own pillowcases.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I found it hard to sleep on a satin pillowcase in the past. When I was a permie, I bought one, but it gave me the Willies to sleep on it because the texture of the fabric was so slick and just creepy. Anyways, I am sure it helps the hair in general. Maybe doing a satin scarf instead would be okay. I believe hair is gonna smoosh either way due to prolonged pressure on the head during sleep. I don't believe the idea is to wake up with perfect, just walked out of the salon hair, but to protect the exposed hair shaft from the rubbing, drying, and hair damage that can occur from the normal movement of the head on a regular cotton pillow.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    but it gave me the Willies to sleep on it because the texture of the fabric was so slick and just creepy.

Me too! I had coffin images going. I use silk charmeuse which is a natural satin and it's not slick like that polyster stuff, it's shiny but soft and doesnt' dry out the hair.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I will have to try that then. I was so traumatized that I stayed away from the Satin Pillow case deal.
  • ttrowerttrower Registered Users Posts: 33
    I'm just trying to keep my hair from drying out as much over night.

I will try the charmeuse pillowcase instead. I just can't make myself sleep in a scarf. (Traumatized as a kid sleeping in big curlers and a big bonnet every night.)
    :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file