My curls are dying :(

DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
I don't know what is going on! The last 2.5 years my curls have been amazing and now I've noticed the last two months they've gone kaput. I used to have 3rd and 4th day hair days and now I can't even have 2nd day hair. I was using the same hair routine I used last winter (CoN Poo, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Co, GF CnS Leave In, the only difference is the gel, I was using Suave Aloe last winter, but since that is discontinued I use Biotera Gel which I fell in love with this year)and it's like a different head of hair. Now I'm trying to find a different routine but everything I use is giving me the same results. :sad8:

I trimmed my hair a few inches Friday night to see if it'll bounce my curls back to life, and they looked great Saturday but by the end of the day I noticed they went limp. The next day I had head full of hay. I don't know what to do.

I want to do a DT to see if I can make the curls and moisture bounce back to life, but I have no idea where to start. I've never had the need to DT before. I don't know what would be best for my hair.

My curls USED to be bouncy, shiney, clumpy 3a/b curls. Now they are flat, dull, hangy, and go from curl to wave the next day. It feels super dry and coarser than ever (my hair is naturally coarse).

Have any of you curlies who had similar situations liek this during the winter found solutions to keep their curls bouncy and defined?

ETA: Oh yeah, today I bought a bottle of LA Looks Sport Gel. Never used it before but I see it gets raves from other curlies here. I'm hoping that my hair just needs more hold in this icky dry winter weather. We'll see.
3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been getting limp whimpy curls too - I just used BRHG for the 1st time in probably over a year to try and get these darn things to hold up for more than 1/2 day. I think I need clarify - that darn hard water. Maybe I will try that tomorrow with Nexxus aloe Rid.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • a curly humana curly human Posts: 39Registered Users
    Have you moved?

I find my "curliness" is dependent so much on the weather and humidity and time of year and where I live/spend most of my time.

When I travel to Arizona, my hair goes straight. If I go to NY in the winter, the indoor heating sucks my curls dry and straight, too. Here in NC I am at my curliest in the summer with high humidity.

Just a thought.
    mostly 3a, CG'er (since 4/02), dark brown w/ some grey, loose coils, below shoulder length
  • dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    maybe you should clarify with a sulfate shampoo and do a DT!
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I've also been having problems with dryness this winter. My main suggestion is to get more moisture, wherever you can. Maybe you need a more moisturizing condish or leave-in condish, or maybe some kind of cream styler would help. Mixing honey in with my condish helps me a lot, or doing a honey rinse before applying conditioner, it has the same effect. If you want to do a DT, I normally use my regular condish and mix about a tablespoon of olive oil and tons of honey in with it.

You also might consider trying an ACV rinse, or a lemon rinse. I know I go nuts trying everything when my hair is a mess :lol:, as usual it can take a bit of experimenting to figure out what works.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    No, I haven't moved. Still living in the same ole place. LOL. I will admit, the landlord is pumping the heat big time in my apartment. It gets stifling in there....so that could be contributing to my nasty hair.

I did clarify with a sulfate a week or so ago but all that did was mess my scalp up (which is why I avoid sulfates). :(

I tried an ACV rinse a few weeks back and I was pretty underwhelmed with it. Didn't find my hair any better.

I haven't tried honey in my conditioner or a honey rinse; I will try that...and I think I will DT Friday night and sleep on it, and hopefully my hair will have some moisture.

I may use regular rinse out conditioner as a leave in as opposed to my C&S and see if that'll help too...

Today I didn't wash my hair but I got my ponytail damp and used some of the LA Looks Sport Gel on it and I do see more curl in my hair. Hopefully when I wash and use gel all over my hair I will see my curls last longer.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    I DT'd overnight Friday night/Saturday morning and I'm on 3rd day hair! :blob:

I used Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol Friday night and saturated my hair with the cream, rolled it up and put a plastic cap on and washed it out the next morning. I immediately felt the difference as I rinsed it out :) It felt soft, it was easy to detangle, it was shiny.

I then used Cream of Nature to scrub my scalp (the cholesterol kind of built up on my scalp overnight), then conditioned with Clairol Nice & Easy Conditioning Gloss, used a generous amount of Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Moisturizing Conditioner as a leave in conditioner and used two big globs of LA Looks Sport Gel to style. I plopped for about 20-30 minutes and then air dried.

My hair dried frizz free, bouncy, shiny and soft. The next day my curls were still holding strong. Today they are still pretty strong but there's a bit more frizz in my under layer that rubs on my neck and back..but I'm so happy the DT worked! :love5: I'm definitely going to make this a part of my routine :)
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow -- congrats! I may have to try your technique!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »
    Wow -- congrats! I may have to try your technique!

Thanks! I'm just hoping that the next time I do the routine (the washing part), I have the same great results. :)
  • KaisercurlsKaisercurls Posts: 100Registered Users
    I am glad that worked for you. I think its your GEL. That has been a problem for me in the past.
    I stopped trying to figure things out and just went back to Deva products.
    http://www.cosmeticmagic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=780
    this is the cheapst place to get them and its free shipping over 40 bucks. This conditioner turned my hair, which was exactly as you described into a lush pretty bouncy hair again. I use the 32 OZ of Angell as well.
    I am a 2c w/spirals underneath! 35 years old with 85% white hair. I am currently using DevaOne everyday with No Poo. I am using Smooth N Shine Gel Conditioner Extra-Hold on my course hair and it works awesome for 3 bucks. I found putting Color Magic into my hair color really covers the gray well. :blob7:
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm feeling like you DominicanaHeat. Seems like for the last month my hair is just BLAH! I usually get three day hair (or 4 in a ponytail) but now my 2nd day hair is just ugly. I use strictly devacurl products and have ACV rinsed, sulfate poo'ed, and all that. I thought it was buildup but I think it is just dry due to the cold. I have been running a humidifier for the past few days and I will deep treat today. Hopefully this will help. And if not, I'm getting a devacut this week so maybe that will help my curls. Glad to hear you have found something that works.
    316vq4y.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file