whey protein shakes

2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
How important are they? I've heard that drinking one after a weight training session is a good idea. I've also heard they don't taste good. :cry: If it is important, does anyone have a favorite brand? I'm not a milk drinker, so I wouldn't mix the powder with milk. Any recommendations re: brand, what to mix it with and how often/much? TIA?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• apointeapointe Posts: 199Registered Users
    I'd be interested in suggestions too. I had about 4oz of a Designer Whey strawberry shake yesterday (my SO has one every morning for breakfast) after my workout and it tasted gross to say the least.

I would mix with milk ... any good brands?
    NYC - but originally from Philly!

2c/3a - coarse texture, little volume - still experimenting!

2007-2008 Curly Fantasy Football Champion! :hello1:
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I use GNC's vanilla flavored whey powder. It's not particularly great, but it doesn't taste that bad and it was on sale when I bought it. I mix it with OJ and chug it after a workout. If I sip it, it's not so great because it tends to be clump. If I have extra time, I blend it with frozen fruit and OJ and it makes a really GREAT smoothie.
  • lb612lb612 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I use Optimum Nutrition Whey in Chocolate. It's kind of an acquired taste...it takes a while to get used to. Usually I have one in the afternoon before a workout, I mix 1 scoop with 6 oz water or milk.

I've also added it to oatmeal in the morning for breakfast. It's pretty good, especially the Quaker Baked Apple kind with a scoop of vanilla protein. try it!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the recs. If I'm still wanting to lose about 15 pounds, does it make sense to add the protein shakes? I know that more muscle = greater fat burning, but does the added protein really make it that much easier to add muscle? Is it worth the additional calories? Trying to figure it all out... TIA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I don't have the answers you're looking for. Just wanted to say that you can also get egg white protein product. Haven't tried it, don't know how it tastes. (lots of questions, though...do they have a machine that separates the eggs? how does THAT work? and what are the yolks used for? and do they cleanse the shells first and how do they keep the egg from coming in contact with a potentially contaminated outer shell?)

Another alternative is yogurt or cottage cheese.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file