What am I doing wrong???

cclark1cclark1 Registered Users Posts: 346
I have been transitioning for 4 months now. I have a good amount of new growth. I still visit a natural hair stylist every 2-3 weeks to deep condition to really take care of my hair as I transition.I usually just pre-poo (coconut oil), wash (gentle moisturizing shampoo), condition twice and then deep conditioner with coconut oil and castor oil and honey. And tie into a bun. But I noticed that this week when I washed I had more breakage than usual. Not handfuls. But it was breakage and my normal shedding. I keep my hair moisturized daily with Jane Carter leave-in conditioner and castor oil/coconut oil mix. I just don't know what could be the problem. HELP!!!
Dare to be......remarkable!!!

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I would stop shampooing and stop using castor oil.

I've never used Jane Carter conditioner (though I plan to try it eventually) so I can't comment on that. But you're saying every time you wet your hair you shampoo, condition twice and then deep condition??? How often are you doing that? I'd suggest a lower maintenance routine like co-washing with a Suave or Vo5 conditioner and conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner that lots of people have had good results with (Elucence, Regis DL Olive Oil, TJ Nourish, Aubrey HSR, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink], etc.)

Also how are you making and securing your buns? Rubber bands? Srunchie? Braid and bobby pin? I'm not sure how you're doing your buns, if/how you're combing/brushing, if/how you're drying, etc.?

• Flower princessFlower princess Registered Users Posts: 608
    Do you warm the oil ?Some people that do hot oil treatments use to have such problems maybe that's the false.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • cclark1cclark1 Registered Users Posts: 346
    I would stop shampooing and stop using castor oil.

I've never used Jane Carter conditioner (though I plan to try it eventually) so I can't comment on that. But you're saying every time you wet your hair you shampoo, condition twice and then deep condition??? How often are you doing that? I'd suggest a lower maintenance routine like co-washing with a Suave or Vo5 conditioner and conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner that lots of people have had good results with (Elucence, Regis DL Olive Oil, TJ Nourish, Aubrey HSR, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink], etc.)

Also how are you making and securing your buns? Rubber bands? Srunchie? Braid and bobby pin? I'm not sure how you're doing your buns, if/how you're combing/brushing, if/how you're drying, etc.?

I only shampoo once a week. The castor oil is amazing. I only use Aubrey as a conditioner and Elucence as a DC under a heated dryer. My bun is tied loosely with a cloth scunchy.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Stop shampooing your hair. I know it sounds gross, but trust me my hair didn't start responding till I started to co-wash instead of using shampoo.

Are you combing every day? Because if I don't comb my hair every morning I will shed.

My sister is having a problem with shedding. She thinks that the natural hair and relaxed hair are fighting (her words not mine LOL) and the natural hair is winning. You might need another trim. Maybe your relaxed hair is too fragile. Have you tried a protein? Aphogee would do wonders for your hair.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• cclark1cclark1 Registered Users Posts: 346
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Stop shampooing your hair. I know it sounds gross, but trust me my hair didn't start responding till I started to co-wash instead of using shampoo.

Are you combing every day? Because if I don't comb my hair every morning I will shed.

My sister is having a problem with shedding. She thinks that the natural hair and relaxed hair are fighting (her words not mine LOL) and the natural hair is winning. You might need another trim. Maybe your relaxed hair is too fragile. Have you tried a protein? Aphogee would do wonders for your hair.

Funny!! Fighting huh?? Well my natural hair would definitely win. That I'm sure of!! Ok, I'll stop washing it and see if that helps. No, I don't comb it every day. I just had a trim about 2 months ago, Could it be time already?? As far as Aphogee, my hair hates that stuff. It almost left me with no hair. I will never try it again. I had a very similiar experience as your sister and I know I followed the instructions perfectly. Thanks for the advice ladies.
  • E.B.E.B. Registered Users Posts: 158
    cclark1 wrote: »
    I only shampoo once a week. The castor oil is amazing. I only use Aubrey as a conditioner and Elucence as a DC under a heated dryer. My bun is tied loosely with a cloth scunchy.
    If it's the Elucence MB that you're using that's probably not moisturizing enough to be a DC. From what I've read that's a good instant conditioner or leave-in.

If it's the Elucence Extended Moisture Repair that you're using I don't know enough about that to give any useful input. :neutral:

If you're putting your hair into a bun before it's dry that may be part of the problem since hair stretches when it's wet. If it dries while it's in a bun that could be putting stress on your strands, weakening them and causing them to break.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file