Anyone ever use a texturizer on 4a hair?

lorrnaelorrnae Registered Users Posts: 134
http://www.texturesoftener.com/index.html
What are the pros & cons of using one?

How much does a texturizer loosen your hair?
(I want my hair to be as loose as the 3a-3c range. I don't want it straight.)

Is texturizing it at home a good idea?

Does it hurt or burn like a perm does?

What is the maintainance that comes with a texturizer?

Can you color it after doing the procedure? If you can't, then when?
4a/Fine Strands/Medium Length/Low Porosity
http://members.fotki.com/Lorrnae/ (still editing)
PW:curlygal
My product routine is currently a work in progress.

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I've never had a texturizer. Some people complain that a texturizer leaves the hair very dry and you need to moisturize alot. Some others have complained that this will also lead to breakage and sometimes the curl can be uneven (straight in some places, curly in others). I think you'd have a better response in the relaxer forum. Good luck!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Registered Users Posts: 343
    I use to have a texturizer. It will loosen your hair as much or less as you want it to depending on how long it is left on your hair. If you leave it on your hair long enough, it will straighten your hair -- it's just like a perm relaxer. I think if your going to get a texturizer you should get it done by a professional. The maintainance is just like having a jeri curl -- you need to keep it extra moisturized because the texturizer (even though they say it has been infused with different oils and moisturizers) is very drying. Remember that the texturizer is a chemical that breaks down the natural textured structure of your hair -- your hair will be in a weakened state so extra care and mega moisture is of key importance. They say you can get color with a texturizer......maybe two weeks after. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212

What are the pros & cons of using one? the same pros and cons as a relaxer, because its essentially the same thing.

How much does a texturizer loosen your hair?
    it depends on your desired effect. depending on your hair texture is what you will get. my hair makes S shaped curls, so with a texturizer the result is longer S shapes.

Is texturizing it at home a good idea?
    no. no home kit chemical process is a good idea. the no lye thats in a texturizer in a box leaves hair a mess. its better to get it professionally done.

Does it hurt or burn like a perm does?
    it can. the reason why relaxers burn is because it was not properly applied. a relaxer should never burn. but thats the risk you run, especially if you do it by yourself.

What is the maintainance that comes with a texturizer?
    same as a relaxer. you will have to get touch ups when your new growth comes in, unless you will have 2 different textures. if you decide you no longer want to texturize you will have to transition all over again or BC.

Can you color it after doing the procedure? If you can't, then when?[/quote]

once again its just like a relaxer, you need to wait at least 2 weeks to get any color done.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    What are the pros & cons of using one?
    Pros - your hair doesn't shrink
    Cons - Too many to list

How much does a texturizer loosen your hair? It's a relaxer so as much as you want it to depending on how you apply it and how long you keep it on.

Is texturizing it at home a good idea? No. When I texlaxed I had it done by a professional and there were still issues.

Does it hurt or burn like a perm does? Yes.

What is the maintainance that comes with a texturizer? Your hair is constantly dry and fragile. Don't even try to color because your hair will break off.

Can you color it after doing the procedure? If you can't, then when? See above. Only color you can use is a temporaty rinse, like Beautiful.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lorrnaelorrnae Registered Users Posts: 134

The crazy thing is that I actually got responses on the 4a board instead of the straightening/Relaxing board.
    4a/Fine Strands/Medium Length/Low Porosity
    http://members.fotki.com/Lorrnae/ (still editing)
    PW:curlygal
    My product routine is currently a work in progress.
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    I used to have one (I'm transitioning back to natural) It ended up being around 3b/c texture, but it depends on how long it's left in. It DOES burn, it is a chemical treatment. DONT DO IT AT HOME, it is so timing based that if you mess up you could end up with half your head straighter than the other or just burn yourself badly.

Dyeing, wait about 2-3 weeks AFTER you texturize. You don't want to over process.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • lovingmycurls01lovingmycurls01 Registered Users Posts: 219
    Before I went natural I thought about getting one because I always wanted a head full of curls. Thank goodness I have curls because listening to the cons of a texturizer is a little scary. LOL
    Big Chop OCT 2008

Products:

IC Fantasia Gel/ mixed with olive oil ( I put it in myself)
    H20 spritzes
    Karens Body Beautiful Hair Milk
    Jamaican black castor oil
    DevaCare One Condition
    DevaCare No Poo
    DeVaCurl Heaven In Hair
    KBB Hair Milk
    KBB Hair Butter

http://public.fotki.com/lovingmycurls01/
    pw: curls

I'm learning so much from you naturally curly ladies. Thanks so much.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    It's a typical chemical relaxer; just a different name and better marketing. I used to texturize my hair, and as some people wrote earlier, it depends on the results you want. I also would take a regular relaxer and use it as a texturizer--same results. For me, it didn't matter if it was lye or no-lye. The results were the same. It also depends on what consequences you are willing to accept from the texturizer.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • vkb247vkb247 Registered Users Posts: 266 Curl Neophyte
    Texturizers are obviously not popular here but:

I texturize my own hair with a regular relaxer mixed with oil and conditioner. I only use a lye relaxer.

My hair is beautiful, healthy, and not dry at all

I don't have a crazy regime to deal with my hair. I treat my hair as if it is natural and it still hates heavy protein.

Feel free to have a look at my fotki if you want to have a closer look.

public.fotki.com/vkb247

ETA: I don't color my hair and if I did then I would be double processed. I would never do this on my own as I have in the past with horrible results.
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I texturize every 3 months or so. All the cons listed above are true. I might also add that if you go this route to really know your beautician and get it done professionally. It can go awry as I know from personal experience. There is also the money factor for retouches.

For me personally I haven't noticed any extreme dryness above the struggles of other naturals. We (naturals & I) seem to have similar complaints. I haven't noticed fragile hair either. But I make sure not to over-process and retouch only the roots.

I did do some shine happy treatments on top of what I have and it didn't effect it but it did loosen my new growth at the roots. Real color was very drying though and I only had highlights done. Terrible. I don't recommend it. Heat is another matter. But heat damage can happen tex-laxed or natural too.

There are other ways to loosen you hair texture nautrally as you'll probably find in this forum: baking soda, henna, etc. I found out recently that coloring can loosen texture too. They all have their pros and cons. Just research as best you can and do what is best for you.

HTH
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    You know, I think the two ladies who posted that they have texturizers hair is very beautiful. It's obviously a personal choice. It's a choice that you have to be sure that you want because if you decide to go get a texturizer and don't like it then you will have to start the whole transition process all over again. If you get one then I would talk to one of these two ladies to see if they can give you tips on how to manage it afterwards so you won't experence some of the problems that others have. Good luck.
    Big Chop OCT 2008

Products:

H20 spritzes
    DevaCare One Condition
    DevaCare No Poo
    DeVaCurl Heaven In Hair
    KBB Hair Milk
    KBB Hair Butter

• Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Registered Users Posts: 786
    Hi

I was thinking of getting a texturizer and asked a similar question here about a month or so ago. I decided not to texturize based on the cons that these ladies have touched upon. I have been natural for awhile, and I couldnt imagine going to the salon and having to get touchups again.

Also, my hair tends to be very dry, so any added chemicals would probably make it worse. You can get looser curl results naturally with different styles as well such as twistouts/braidouts, wearing your hair in a bun for a day then letting it down(stretched out) and roller sets/flexirods. That way, you maintain moisture and still have lots of different styling options.
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
    Before I went natural I thought about getting one because I always wanted a head full of curls. Thank goodness I have curls because listening to the cons of a texturizer is a little scary. LOL

Just wanted to comment on my own comment. I didn't mean to sound as silly as it came out. I have no clue how my hair will fall when it grows out and I can understand how fustrating it would be to have your hair not fall the way you want it to or to loosen up the way you want it to. Texturizers from what I understand are supposed to loosen your curls but I think you have beautiful hair. Again like I said earlier it's a personal decesion and I can understand where you are coming from on this one but make sure that you make a decesion that's best for you.
    Big Chop OCT 2008

Products:

H20 spritzes
    DevaCare One Condition
    DevaCare No Poo
    DeVaCurl Heaven In Hair
    KBB Hair Milk
    KBB Hair Butter

• KinkyCurlyCoolKinkyCurlyCool Registered Users Posts: 174
    Hi

I was thinking of getting a texturizer and asked a similar question here about a month or so ago. I decided not to texturize based on the cons that these ladies have touched upon. I have been natural for awhile, and I couldnt imagine going to the salon and having to get touchups again.

Also, my hair tends to be very dry, so any added chemicals would probably make it worse. You can get looser curl results naturally with different styles as well such as twistouts/braidouts, wearing your hair in a bun for a day then letting it down(stretched out) and roller sets/flexirods. That way, you maintain moisture and still have lots of different styling options.

Ashkin... I remember your post on contemplating to texturize. I am glad that you decided not to.
    event.png

www.public.fotki.com/kinkycurlycool

current products:
    homemade conditioners
    homemade twist'n hold stuff(not quite a gel)
    homemade moisturizers (water/glycerin)
    jamila henna-quarterly use to stretch hair for length check
    giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    creme of nature shampoo and conditioner

If u do what u always did; u will get what u always got... author unknown
  • mesocurlymesocurly Registered Users Posts: 58
    I haven't used one in years, but texturizers worked the same as relaxers in my hair - not good. But then again my hair is fine and thin, very fragile.

BTW, I just visited your album and your hair is very pretty as is.

Anita

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file