poll: hair is easier long OR short?

kinihakiniha Posts: 233Registered Users
I'd like to know what other 3A's think--what's the easier 'lifestyle' choice--long hair, medium length (shoulders to chin), or short?

I think this will vary with different people--looking forward to hearing feedback.

My hair is longer than ever right now (a few inches past shoulders) and it's maybe easier than all my previous bob-length cuts because I can put it back so easily and run out the door. It has fewer of the short layers that used to stick up/out all the time.

My older short hair cuts--pixie cut style--were super-easy to style but I felt a little self-conscious with such short hair and always had major long hair envy, so I think the psychological aspects made the v. short hair harder for me personally. (Though my hair looked great!)

TIA! Hope we have fun with this topic.
2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't quite decided. My short hair is super easy to style, and if I don't particularly like the way it comes out one day, I just slap on a headband and I'm good to go. Also, it sucks up much less product.

On the other hand, I can go about three days without washing my long hair, when only until recently I was washing my short hair every day. Having long hair and being able to pineapple is a big advantage for preserving styles. And having more hair lets you do more with it.

So I'm on the fence about this one. I'm actually growing my hair out now because I went CG after I cut my hair, and I want to see what it looks like long. Soo I guess we'll see!
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think shorter hair is easier, but longer hair gives you more styling options.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    When my hair was short and medium length, it dried a lot quicker so I could be dried, styled and out the door much faster. Now that it's long, it takes SOOO much longer to dry, but I like it long better. I like the looks of it long and I like that I can put it up if I want to.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    I look awful with short hair. :) When you mom tells you, I think I like long hair better on you, then grow it out ;) I had mine cut pixie short in 1994 after a stroke. I couldn't take care of it and refused to let friends come over and help. THey had lives and it was just too much to accept. If I had known and been doing CG, I never would have cut it.

I've got a really round face and can stand to lose a bit of weight, so the long hair is more flattering. Plus I really like it long and my husband loves it. Of course, he argues with me when I tell him that yeah, it is BSL...then I have to show him when it's soaking wet. "WOW! That's got a lot of spring." Duh. Cant' fault him though. He's been around through some REALLY bad hair eras, so he can pretty much say anything.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am undecided and really not sure what I will do at my hair appt this Saturday. I like the longer hair but I don't feel it's that flattering on me but my shorter cut was back about 6 years ago so of course I looked better!! :wink: I end up putting my sides and front up a lot so I am think maybe I should just go short again but I like my long curls (when it's short its wavy). Decisions Decisions.

I didnt vote.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • b0ricubanab0ricubana Posts: 125Registered Users
    I'm not sure if hair is easier shorter, just medium or long. Because i've always worn my hair long... But i would imagine it is easier if there is less to work with...

I have my hair cut in layers in the front about chin length when curled and then my layers meet my hair all the way down my back. I particularly like this style because its alot less weight on my hair being that i have alot of hair, and it's still long to wear however i'd like to.
    type 3a hair. started the 'CG' routine on 06.12.07 the day of my very 1st 'Deva' cut ;D
    Currently using all Devacare products...
    ALSO Addicted to:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Condish
    Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Condish
    HEBE Set me up
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Short is easier to dry and style, but the maintenance haircuts every 4 weeks is an enormous PITA. For ease and for looks, I like mine better long, even if it takes longer to dry.
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I'm currently Just Above Shoulder Length (dry) and am convinced that any length is easier than this. But because I am headed for Long, I hopefully voted for this choice. Look forward to my hair riding behind my shoulders and OUT OF MY FACE, or back in a nice thick bun and OUT OF MY FACE. I look forward to plopping and not ending up with a head of strangeness,.

MsG makes a good point about drying time, product, etc. It's bad enough at shoulder-length, so I am given momentary pause when considering all that with long hair. But the fact that it will be OUT OF MY FACE will more than compensate, I feel.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely vote that LONGER is much easier. Shorter my hair never seems to fall right. The curl is kinda cut off and I end up using a ton of product and styling it to death just to get it so I like it. Then I'm always freaking out if anyone touches my hair, or the wind blows - I'm screwed if I go swimming.

My hair is getting really long. Right now it's just past shoulder length. I haven't done a thing to it in ages. I've been cutting it myself, and I haven't been using any product. It airdrys super fast b/c there's no product, and the weight keeps it looking more styled.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    I voted medium. I think the points people made are very valid and agree with most. It seems to be another matter of preference rather than any one length working best for everyone.

I've mostly had long hair, but a few years ago I did have it cut to shoulder length and it was easier to manage. My hair gets tangled easily, and longer means more tangles.

As far as short hair, I haven't had that in ages, but I could see where not being able to pull it back into a ponytail would be inconvenient. I do like to do that.

Right now my hair is long (the longest strands reach to my waist when wet), and I'm thinking about taking some inches off. I've just started noticing that it's harder to manage, due to looong drying times (like 5 hours if I diffuse for 20 minutes, and I can't stand to diffuse any longer than that), and taking forever to detangle (again, I do not have the patience.) I also don't have the patience to do much with it as far as styling, updos, etc. Or maybe I'm just too lazy ;)

:cat:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    I get triangle hair when it's at or above my shoulders. I have really good second hair days when my hair is longer than shoulder length. It's easier to manage all around. I don't care about the longer drying time. My hair takes over 3 hours to air dry whether it's an inch above my shoulders or 2 inches below.
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    My hair was really short, but I've been growing it out for about a year. Although it was really easy to style and fast to dry when it was short, I found that when it was humid, it stuck out around my face and I didn't like that.
    Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I am a woman of extremes. My hair looks best and is easiest either really short (1" or less) or long past my shoulders. I hate the in-between which is where I've been for the last two years.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • toshtosh Posts: 17Registered Users
    kcurls wrote: »
    I'm currently Just Above Shoulder Length (dry) and am convinced that any length is easier than this. But because I am headed for Long, I hopefully voted for this choice. Look forward to my hair riding behind my shoulders and OUT OF MY FACE, or back in a nice thick bun and OUT OF MY FACE. I look forward to plopping and not ending up with a head of strangeness,.

MsG makes a good point about drying time, product, etc. It's bad enough at shoulder-length, so I am given momentary pause when considering all that with long hair. But the fact that it will be OUT OF MY FACE will more than compensate, I feel.

ROFL!! I'm right there with ya, kcurls!

Last winter I got shorter layers and loved it but when the heat & humidity returned, I HATED that I couldn't clip it back. Not worth it considering that we have 2 months of cool dry weather and 10 of humidity, plus I go to the beach a lot so throw wind into the mix.

Also, I have a really short forehead:shock: and in this stage of growing out my peripheral vision is totally blocked ==> absolute clutz!!

My goal is "rests on shoulders when dry".

I am almost there now and cannot wait to have this OUT OF MY FACE!!!

tosh
    3a, LOTS of hair, prot. sens.
    Mod CG: Gen. Biolage Balm, CJ Daily Fix 1-2xw
    Cond:CJ Deep Fix, Khiels' Olive Frit LI: JCTS
    Style:CJPP, CJCK, B&A Gel
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't vote. I think easy very short (twa) and shoulder length.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    kcurls wrote: »

Holy carp, are you stealing the thoughts right from my head?!?! I'm at the same length with the same frustrations right now!!

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Short is easier to dry and style, but the maintenance haircuts every 4 weeks is an enormous PITA. For ease and for looks, I like mine better long, even if it takes longer to dry.
    ITA with this. It does take ages to dry but it looks so much better on me than short hair. I get more compliments now than I did when my hair was shorter as well.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The reason I voted for long hair being easier is the almighty ponytail option :wink: Bad hair days are always fixed with a pony !! I miss those days.
    For me, mid-length is what suits me best. My fav length is bob length ... if anyone has seen the new Halle cut - that is my hair cut.
    I wish I could wear my hair long. I love the look of my hair, but it doesn't do anything for my face. It drags me right down.
    Short hair is a no-no for me as well - makes my face look fat.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I didn't vote because I've found there are styling issues regardless of length. Last spring I got my first short cut in a few years. It was the first good short cut I've had, which made all the difference. During the summer it was so easy to care for, and it was still just long enough to wear in a pony if I wanted to.

However, the dryness of winter is not being kind- without the springy curls I get in the humidity, the style is a bit off. Last winter, on the other hand, my curls were about BSL and they looked absolutely fantastic. Of course, when hair is longer it needs more product (esp. conditioner), takes more time to dry, etc.

So, I can't give a definite answer. I will say that once it starts getting really long, say, past BSL, I find it to be a major pain in the tukus.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • rhubarbarinrhubarbarin Posts: 22Registered Users
    I find my hair much easier to deal with as it gets longer and longer.. plus I love the look of long curls, much more sexy than when they were short. With shorter hair, since I look so young, I just felt like Shirley Temple. Cute in a little-girl way.

Now when my hair is mis-behaving, I can put it in a variety of updos. When it was shorter, I just had to live with it looking crazy..
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    granted, i've never had hair shorter than chin-length, but i voted long. when my hair was long, i could just apply products and plop overnight and voila ringlets in the morning. but now that its short(er), plopping overnight just doesn't work as well, so i have to diffuse it in the mornings, which is kind of a pain.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I don't know if it's easier long or short because I haven't had my hair short (just below the ears) in about 13 yrs.

And there's really not that much difference in care with my now just below shoulder length compared to my few inches away from mid back length (prior to Sept).

I just know a lot more can be done with long hair. I just sometimes wish I had four hands so I could make some of the styles in books & magazine tear outs I've collected over the years.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Since it's hot and humid here all but one month of the year generally I don't like to diffuse dry except at the roots. When I had shorter hair it seemed to stick to my head if I didn't diffuse it. I assume it's the weight of my hair?
    Anyway so longer hair is better for me. I can either air dry or diffuse the roots then finish with air drying and get fab hair. It's sure the most diverse too since there are so many ways to style longer hair.

And to top it all off I look awful in short hair lol
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I guess I'm in the minority! I said short. I prefer the way my hair looks long and I'm trying to grow it even longer, but I found it so much easier to tousle my hair with some cream or gel and go when it was short!
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've had supershort (1") and really long (midback) and I'd have to say both are easier than shoulder length. So I'm split down the middle!

Speckla

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file