Low-poo alternative - oooh..that smell!

momedusamomedusa Posts: 60Registered Users
I've been on the Deva Low-poo, One condition routine every other day for about 2 months now - and I love it. I'm still perfecting the clipping and struggling with straight pieces surrounding my face - but am pleased as ringlets! with how my hair has been looking.
However.... eek.. the smell of the deva stuff. Once I read some comment about it smelling like Lemon pine-sol I cannot stop thinking about it. Honestly, without reading that I may have never noticed but now it's too late.
I'm reluctant to change, since Devacurl has given me such good results, but since my bottles are running out I am willing to give something else a chance. Any recommendations?
2c-3a, rotate b/w:
TJ Nourish poo+condish
AG recoil
various deep condish

Comments

• KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    momedusa wrote: »
    I've been on the Deva Low-poo, One condition routine every other day for about 2 months now - and I love it. I'm still perfecting the clipping and struggling with straight pieces surrounding my face - but am pleased as ringlets! with how my hair has been looking.
    However.... eek.. the smell of the deva stuff. Once I read some comment about it smelling like Lemon pine-sol I cannot stop thinking about it. Honestly, without reading that I may have never noticed but now it's too late.
    I'm reluctant to change, since Devacurl has given me such good results, but since my bottles are running out I am willing to give something else a chance. Any recommendations?

I couldn't take the smell either. To me, it smelled like perm chemicals. YUCK! I started using Jessicurl products and love them. They have several fragrances to choose from. They even have a "no-scent."
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    And I thought the shampoo smelled like licorice & didn't know what the conditioner smelled like until someone said "lemon grass". :dontknow:

All I want to know is, why doesn't the Low Poo want to rinse out of my hair? I can stand under the shower head for literally 5 minutes, running my hands/fingers through my hair the whole time, & it still feels like it's there! :( Does that mean it's too heavy for my hair?

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gentle-Lather-Shampoo-p-363.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gentle-lather-shampoo]Jessicurl's Gentle Lather Shampoo[/buylink] used to be this way with my hair but now when I rinse it makes my hair squeaky clean, on the light to moderate side though. It's not a stripping/drying squeaky clean. I wonder if I need to try her [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Hair Cleansing Cream[/buylink] again. :?
  • agoldenloveragoldenlover Posts: 64Registered Users
    I really wanted to like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]JC Hair Cleansing cream[/buylink] but it made my hair feel so dry! I was so surprised!

A couple months ago, I used to use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gentle-Lather-Shampoo-p-363.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gentle-lather-shampoo]JC Gentle Lather Shampoo[/buylink] and RR, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] everyday and I didn't think it was drying, in fact it felt like it left a bit of oil in my hair. My hair was pretty good, nice and soft but over time, increasingly stringy, not bouncy, not as curly as now.

I tried the Low Poo and One C (both didn't rinse easily,) also Angel and really didn't like them. Too stinky and made my hair feel gunky/heavy without enough hold.

Now that I have been avoiding shampoo, just co-washing, following with a different CG friendly cond. and gel, my hair is springier and clumpier. What a surprise!

Still, sometimes, like every two weeks, I feel like I need to perk it up with some refreshing/cleansing of some sort, usually a ACV rinse works well. But I thought JC HHC would be perfect. Darn. Maybe it's just me.

So I went on a quest and drove out to the closest Big Lots yesterday to pick up some Activate. They only had the shampoo and I am going to try it today. I hope my hair likes it!!

Linda from Illinois

A happy life is just a string of happy moments. But most people don't allow the happy moment, because they're so busy
    trying so hard to get a happy life.
    Abraham-Hicks
  • momedusamomedusa Posts: 60Registered Users
    Thanks, sounds like Jessicurl has some good stuff. Which of the shampoo and conditioners do y'all recommend?

I use just a bit of shampoo on my scalp, I guess the Low-poo is kind of hard to rinse out. But I really hate any "strawness" to my hair after I use shampoo.:faroah:
    2c-3a, rotate b/w:
    TJ Nourish poo+condish
    AG recoil
    various deep condish
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do the DevaCare and the DevaCurls smell the same?
    I don't know, I've only tried DevaCurl. When I first bought the Devacurls, I had the hardest time deciding whether to buy the Devacurl or Devacare. What's the difference, anyway? I think they both said sulfate-free.:dontknow:
    2c-3a, rotate b/w:
    TJ Nourish poo+condish
    AG recoil
    various deep condish
  • dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    have you ever tried creme of nature shampoo? it's sulfate free and leaves my hair feeling clean and smooth.
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The DevaCare is meant for hair that is colored. I think it has a sunscreen in it but I may be mistaken.
    Who makes "creme of nature"?

And if you have both color and curls - which do you pick deva-curl or care? I guess I'd give my curls priority over color. What's a curlygurl to do?
    2c-3a, rotate b/w:
    TJ Nourish poo+condish
    AG recoil
    various deep condish

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file