I'm finally down... And nutritionists/wanna-be's... ???

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm finally down 35 lbs!!! :cheers: It only took since Sept, maybe August, to break the set point of bouncing between 185 & 180, some of it being water weight. Now I'm below that!!!

However, it's been very difficult trying to count homemade meal calories, etc. Until I can get to a nutritionist, all you nutritionists & wanna-be's, how is this done?

For instance, all day yesterday there was a ham & 15-bean soup in the crock pot. The beans are 120 calories for 1/2 cup. I don't know how much of what type ham or ham juices were in the amount measured. There was also parsley, brown sugar & two kinds of pepper in the unknown amount of broth I got with the beans.

I didn't know what to do other than round up the bean calories to the next highest whole number, which could be high. Or go on-line & gather 3 numbers from a ham & bean soup add together & divide to get 1 nbr, which too could be high. :dontknow:

If I don't count all these "trivial" calories, they'll add up. For instance, I finally started counting flavored coffee creamer calories again. After 5 cups & guessing 1 tbsp of creamer each yesterday, that would have been approx 180 calories extra I wouldn't have counted. Then add in the 2 pieces of sugar-free gum at 5 calories each. Don't forget the 2 fish oil/omega 3 pills at 30 calories & the 3 Benefiber tablets at 30 calories. So if those 250 calories weren't written down I'd be thinking I was allowed more & would have had a snack or drink or so & gone over my limit of 1200 to 1600 daily. Imagine doing that daily & you may see why I find it extremely important that EVERYTHING counts. :wink:

Comments

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/home-made/ham-and-bean-soup
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/recipes.asp?category=5&recipe=15579
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/365/Classic-Ham-And-Bean-Soup104126.shtml

here are a fw recipes I found, nutritional info included
    I personally don't count calories, though keep general number of how much I eat (with a healthy give or take range of 200-300 cals). I've used sparkpeople before which was nice, but it's just too hard to get down to the little amounts of extras that it's not worth it for me.
    Way to go on losing the weight!:) GL, hope someone has the answers for you.
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for those links! By the way, I use Fit Day. I'll have to see if they have recipes too.

Those last two recipes look good. I wonder what the serving size is though. The first link says it's 2 cups. I certainly didn't have that amount. I would have been stuffed.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations L! :blob7: I don't have anything constructive to offer, but wanted to say how great you've done. And with quitting smoking too! Woohoo! :D

And you are correct, even the little stuff counts. It all adds up. :tongue5:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Aw shucks. :oops: Thanks. :D

It's been a tough haul because getting rid of that nasty stress outlet has made me more uptight, easily perturbed, so sensitive (emotional)... I either come out fighting or crying like a baby. Add in that I still PMS a week before to sometimes a week after & that I think I started the slide into menopause, & oh boy, what a combo!!!
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    oh gosh, now you're making me hungry for beans and bean soup! hehe
    I'm not sure what the serving sizes are, do they have serving sizes on fitday? I'll check sparkpeople...I see about a cup as a serving.
    Did you make the soup? I might have to give one of these recipes a shot, maybe modify for a crockpot.
    Anywho, rambling. Congrats again for the weight loss AND quitting smoking! :)
    Here's a black bean and rice recipe I just tried that was pretty yummy if you're interested, with that teeny bit of olive oil I'm sure it's pretty lowfat
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Beans-and-Rice/Detail.aspx
    enjoy!
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I bought a packet to make bean soup!

You are so awesome, LL! I really admire how you set multiple goals for yourself, and go after them like a tiger.

I used to count calories until it made me crazy. I think it's really hard to be exact, unless you're only eating premeasured food out of boxes and cans, and that's not really healthy either. Little things do add up, personally, I'd worry more about fats & sugars adding up (a pat of butter here, coffee creamer, etc) but allow myself to eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. It's hard to gain weight from fresh veggies and fruit, especially vegetables that require effort to prepare (you're burning calories right there).

Are you keeping a journal for the nutrionist? I'd include everything, even the little stuff, in the journal along with portion size (either volume or weight, if you have a food scale). She or he should be able to judge where you are, just by scanning your journal if it's detailed enough. For homemade stuff, I'd list the main ingredients on the bottom of the page, or xerox the recipe and include it in the journal.

Congratulations on your success!

ETA: This is what I mean:
    Try eating more high-protein foods, such as low-fat yogurt or skinless chicken, and more whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables. Your body burns more calories when digesting these foods than while digesting processed carbohydrates, such as pasta or white bread.

from a local hospital info page: http://meriter.staywellsolutionsonline.com/features/1,2858
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I like using http://www.sparkrecipes.com to calculate the nutrition info for my own recipes. Once you register/log in, you can enter the ingredients and # of servings and it calculates the nutrition info. They also have recipes entered by other users; you can choose whether or not to make your own recipes "shared." Usually I keep them private because they're experiments and I don't want someone to try them out if they turn out badly!
    I'm back up again like clockwork. I thought for sure this time I broke past the 180 mark. I was 179.something. Now it's back to 181.8. SIGH :( maybe it's water weight again & I need to take another Lasix (water pill) & potassium.
    Castella wrote: »
    Are you keeping a journal for the nutrionist? I'd include everything, even the little stuff, in the journal along with portion size (either volume or weight, if you have a food scale). She or he should be able to judge where you are, just by scanning your journal if it's detailed enough.

I have the loose sheets I fill out daily (just from a pad of paper) that lists everything I eat & drink.

Well I called the nutritionist on Tuesday. She returned my call & I wasn't in. I returned her call & she wasn't in. She hasn't called back. :roll:
    I like using http://www.sparkrecipes.com to calculate the nutrition info for my own recipes. Once you register/log in, you can enter the ingredients and # of servings and it calculates the nutrition info. They also have recipes entered by other users; you can choose whether or not to make your own recipes "shared." Usually I keep them private because they're experiments and I don't want someone to try them out if they turn out badly!

What if you don't know what the serving size is or should be? I can always guess, but I might be wrong.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    In terms of serving size, when I make my own recipe, I just estimate how many servings it will make, then adjust if necessary. It doesn't really matter how big/small the servings are as long as you're honest and estimate correctly. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining it well!

Let me give an example to see if that helps. I made veggie lasagna and entered all the ingredients and their total amounts into SparkRecipes (e.g, if I used 1.5 cups of cheese total, then I'd put in 1.5 cups of cheese). Then I estimated it would make about eight servings. But, when I put 8 servings into SparkRecipes, though, it showed me that a serving would have 600 calories. So I changed it to 12 servings, which put one serving at 400 calories. When I cut the lasagna into portions, then, I cut it into 12 even sized pieces instead of 8.

Of course it works differently when you're doing something a little less easy to portion out than lasagna. For soup or something like that, it might benefit you to measure out how much soup total you made (e.g., 8 cups) and then figure out how big you want one serving to be (say, 1 cup), then enter the # of servings (8) into Spark Recipes. I often save leftovers in plastic ware that has cup markings on it, so I usually can estimate servings sizes that way, too.
    I guess I could always guess from remembering serving sizes of other things. For instance, canned soup is 1 cup. I believe that's with all brands. So if we make homemade soup again, it should be 1 cup as well. I only gave myself 1/2 cup because that's what the beans said was allowed.

Oh & about counting other things, I started again. It was too damn frustrating to begin with so I quit. I almost quit the entire diet instead. But now that people say that's what I should be doing, fine, I'm back to doing it, but I'm frustrated again already, after just two days. If a nutritionist wants a person to burn out fast learning about proper eating, then this is the way to do it, make them count every total & saturated fat, sodium, protein, fiber ... gram & percentages & stick to the allowance rigidly. Same with exercise, if the physiologist (sp) wants a person to burn out on exercise, make them do it for an hour everyday 5 days a week with weights & stretching additional.

SIGH :sad3:
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    LL,

A little backsliding is an inherent part of the process of change! The fact that you *may* have regained a few pounds and are still working away at your goal means that you are more likely than ever to reach you goal - it means you can commit and recommit, in the face of adversity, which is the only way to achieve long term change!
    (paraphrased from some self help book or other, but I have found it to be true)

So yay for you!

I admire your ability to count calories. I cannot, anymore. What I do is try to eat 7-10 fruits and vegetables a day. That's it, easy. I just try to eat the produce before anything else - fruit before toast, carrots before tortilla chips, salad before chicken dish. Weight loss has been slow, but I haven't plateaued yet (I also work out a lot)!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    A little backsliding is an inherent part of the process of change! The fact that you *may* have regained a few pounds and are still working away at your goal means that you are more likely than ever to reach you goal - it means you can commit and recommit, in the face of adversity, which is the only way to achieve long term change!
    (paraphrased from some self help book or other, but I have found it to be true)

I was just reading something like this the other day, while catching up on all my shelved magazines during my flu/bronchitis/sinusitis/whatever & UTI downtime. I guess I'm doing good then, getting back on the horse or bike after falling off. :cheers:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file