How do you use it?
Any recipies?

TIA

Comments

• curlyxo10curlyxo10 Registered Users Posts: 64
    help!
  • JayvynJayvyn Registered Users Posts: 70
    Motown Girl Recipes w/ olive oil, there are more @ www.motowngirl.com
    I deep treat with 1/4 cup of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey, and 5 drops of rosemary oil.

MotownGirl's Leave-In Conditioner
    1 - 8 oz. pump bottle
    1 c conditioner
    1/8 c oil (avocado, coconut or olive oil)
    1 tbs vegetable glycerin
    1 tbs Silk Peptide Powder (optional, but will make you hair VERY soft)
    Fragrance Oil for scent (optional). Here are some examples you could use: apple, vanilla, pina colada, strawberry, or even mango!
    Double up the recipe as needed and substitute ingredients as you need. It's a thick mixture and it should be applied to soaking wet or damp hair best of all - you don't need to use much! It will provide your hair with the perfect mixture of sheen, softness, curl definition, moisture and fragrance! It does not leave build up on my hair.

I got this recipe from Nappturality.com
    Earthy Diva's Shea Shine
    1/4 cup shea butter
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup light oil
    ( I used shea oil, jojoba, avocado, or olive would work well)
    10-20 drops e.o.
    5-10 drops vitamin e oil
    6 oz container

Melt shea butter in double boiler. Add coconut oil and light oil. Keep on same heat for 20 min. Let cool on stove or counter for abt half an hour. When no longer hot put in the fridge until it hardens. Whip with mixer until fluffy. Add e.o. and vit e. whip some more. Put it back in the fridge until it hardens again. Then whip again, but not until it melts. It will be the consistency of marshmallow fluff. Put in container. Prepare for soft shiny hair.

I hope this helps
  • ava.nemieava.nemie Registered Users Posts: 9
    Since my hair type is 3B, i use about a couple tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my hair and wrapping it in a hot towel for about 10 minutes. I sometimes like to use a hairdryer on the hot towel, just to give a hot oil treatment.

Then make sure you shampoo! If not it will give you unbelievably oily hair.

And then your set! =)

Hope this helps!
    thank you!

anymore ideas?
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    My favorite is the honey and evoo recipe. I use a little more olive oil and honey because I have thick hair. I got this from Motowngirl.com's website:

Honey/Olive Oil Conditioner
    3 teaspoons of honey
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions: This mixture will help to make your hair softer and shinier. Heat the honey in the microwave for a few seconds and mix the ingredients in a bowl. Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap, leave on an hour. Remove shower cap, co-wash and rinse. Dry as normal.

When I do this on my hair not only is my hair very soft, my curls just pop. I love it and highly recommend it.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

The honey and olive oil one sounds nice. Will try!
    Anymore?
  • aprettyrockaprettyrock Registered Users Posts: 50
    Here's another thread with a recipe I tried that has olive oil in it. I really liked this.

Homemade DT from JessiCurl Creator
    ~Yazmin~

My hair - 3c: MOP Mixed Greens cowash - MOP Hydrating Conditioner - MOP Extreme Moisture - Aura Hypoallergenic Gel or AG Re:coil
    Website Development ☆ ← What I Do → ★ Handcrafted, Limited Edition Jewelry
  • LadyNoaLadyNoa Registered Users Posts: 320
    i hope this isn't a real stupid question, but do you guys wet your hair before putting the olive oil & honey mixture in? or do you have to put it on dry hair? :oops:
    Hairtype: 3A/3B
    Co-Wash: Enliven (Raspberry)
    Conditioning: Nubian Heritage Conditioner, Enliven , KCKT
    Leave In: Shea Butter Leave In, Mixed Chicks, (trying) GDLI
    Styling: L'Oreal Invisi FX gel, Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles,Jessicurl RR & CCSS, CK, (trying) Pink Boots & KY(waiting for CK to arrive)
    Currently: Experimenting.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I put the honey and oo on my hair when it was dry... I heated the honey and then whipped it and the oo with a whisk. When I put it on my hair, it made my hair feel stiff as a board. I was a little leary...but I went ahead and used heat with it for about 30 minutes... but like Maria said, when I was done, my curls popped. It was awesome!!
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
    does it matter if it is wet or dry?
  • aprettyrockaprettyrock Registered Users Posts: 50
    I put it in my hair after I had cowashed it, but I think I will have to try it dry and see how it works out.
    ~Yazmin~

My hair - 3c: MOP Mixed Greens cowash - MOP Hydrating Conditioner - MOP Extreme Moisture - Aura Hypoallergenic Gel or AG Re:coil
    Website Development ☆ ← What I Do → ★ Handcrafted, Limited Edition Jewelry
  • enelyaenelya Registered Users Posts: 69
    I have a mixture of 2c and 3 hair (I think I have curly over wavy hair, but still not alot of curl...) hair and I've tried oil olive twice. The first time was following a recipe that used 3/4 cup of olive oil!

It took about nine shampoos to get it out!

I also tried 1 tbsp of oil olive last night. I shampoed twice last night and had to wash it again this morning. Even still, there's more oil left than I'd like (if I run my finger through my hair, I can see the oil on my finger tips) and my hair is still frizzy! So I am surprised to see receipes here with 1/4 of olive oil etc..

How do you gals use olive oil and have it so that you're not left with gross feeling hair that's still frizzy?
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    With the honey/olive oil mixture my hair was so stiff that the oil didn't run. But, when I've used oo other times, I just put enough on to get it on my hair....but not enough to run. I use it from a spray bottle into the palm of my hand and rub it on.

Now, I did do a DT one day that nearly drove me over the edge. I used mayo and oil...whipped it together and used a heating cap. Then, it SEPARATED! I had oil running everywhere. It was running down my neck, onto my face, got in my eyes. OMG...it was a mess, I could not wait to get it off. I wound up using a sulfate poo to get it out...it only took one time. AND after all of that... my hair looked GREAT!! Go figure. I have since cut way back on the oil unless I use the honey with it. Apparently, the honey and the oo bind together and don't separate as easily.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • gymnast0060gymnast0060 Registered Users Posts: 40
    sometimes what i do is put olive oil in my dry hair starting from the nape of my neck down. i just dip my finger in the oil, rub it in my hands, and then rake it through my hair. i keep doing that until my hair is well covered, espeically the ends. then i braid my hair and go to bed. because youll leave it in over night, make sure you dont put in too much oil or it will get all over your pillow. in the morning, just wash it out (im not on CG so i use a gentle shampoo) and of course, condition. once your hair dries, it should be soft and shiny. if your afraid to get oil on your pillow case, put a towel around your pillow or wrap your hair in a bandana. i hope this helps and good luck.
    -belly-button length 2b/2c hair
    -waves and a few loose ringlets
    -medium thickness
  • Karua12Karua12 NYC (hometown), NH (school town)Registered Users Posts: 155
    I decided to use Mariag002's evoo and honey recipe. I used it on my dry 1/5 natural (rest relaxed) hair and it got stiff, shiny and sticky! o__o; It's the oddest feeling... hopefully when I co-wash it out in the morning, it'll work for me : 3 Thanks everyone!
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• dancerxotdancerxot Registered Users Posts: 140
    I don't really have a recipe, but I use it at night after spritzing my hair with water and applying my moisturizer. it keeps my hair soft and sheeny, blocks in moisture, and provides some lubrication so tangles don't get too firm. LOVE the stuff. :thumright:

hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

:love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • DwahvelDwahvel Registered Users Posts: 56
    I did it Sunday on dry hair. I have alot of hair, so it didn't feel like I had enough to put on, and some areas of my head didn't feel like they got enough. But when I washed it out (I had to do it twice to feel like all the oil was out, once on the scalp and once on the ends, using Trader Joe's Refresh shampoo) and diffused, the curls were nice. Not as nice as after a vinegar rinse though, go figure.

I used the 3 Tbs. honey, 1/4c EVOO recipe, and added about 4 drops of lavender oil for scent (the honey and oil smelled nasty together!). I felt like maybe that was too much honey, my hair felt sticky when it was on. I may up the oil a bit to 1/3c.

Am anxious to try the recipe with the avocado and banana, maybe this weekend!
    3b curls, color treated
    DevaCurl No-Poo & One Condish
    DevaCurl Set It Free and Angell
    Paul Mitchell Round Trip
    Schwarzkopf Osis curl spray
    Bed Head Manipulator
    I'm a Halo Head! :glasses9:
  • Karua12Karua12 NYC (hometown), NH (school town)Registered Users Posts: 155
    My natural hair came out so soft and springy! Which is exactly what I want so that they don't go crazy while the relaxed ends are still there. My mom seemed more impressed how shiny my relaxed hairs were though :thumbdown: I can't wait to cut them off.

Can't wait to go to whole foods so I can try out some recipes! Thanks!
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• indibellagoindibellago Registered Users Posts: 1
    I love olive oil so much!! I does wonders for my hair.

I mix some of my conditioner with some honey and olive oil. I massage into my scalp and comb through my hair. Then put a cap on and leave it in for like 30 minutes or longer. Rinse and blot dry with a towel. I works great and my hair is shiny, soft and clean (thanks to the honey)!
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Registered Users Posts: 457
    I use just regular evoo for dt's, but i use just enough to dampen my hair with it. I do hot oil treatments with it, and my hair loves it!
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • cavia1234cavia1234 Registered Users Posts: 19
    i mix 4 tablespoons of conditioner and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and a few drops of lavender oil. i rinse my hair then put that in while its still wet then i leave it in my hair and put it up for the day usually seven or eight hours then i rinse it out with a mixture of conditioner, vinegar, and lemon juice.

i also mix water, olive oil, and lavender oil in a spray bottle and spray a little in my hair when it looks dry.:toothy7:
    :happy10: Curl Type ~ 3b
    ~CG~ No combing except for finger combing; No towels; Air dry with occasional diffusing

~Trying to develop new ways of styling hair~

**Essential Products*
    L.A. Looks Cashmere Curls
    Aussie Sun-Touched Shine Gel
    VO5 Co-Wash
    Olive Oil/Conditioner for Deep Conditioning
    Lavender Oil
    African Royale Daily Doctor
    Lustrasilk Moisture Max
  • BertBert Registered Users Posts: 5
    How often do u guys do the oil treatment. Once a week or once a month.:glasses9:
  • JipJip East of LaLa LandRegistered Users Posts: 90
    I tend to use it as a prewash (product buildup removing) hot oil treatment alone or mixed with other oils (Usually coconut).

Heat the oil, apply to hair, sit under heating cap 20-60 mins, then wash. Typically, I use the cheap stuff and store it in the fridge.

HTH
    Classic Type 4A
    Coarse Texture
    Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
    Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
    SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
    CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
    LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER – Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Shea Butter Leave-in (Curly to Kinky)
    SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Seattle, Land of RainRegistered Users Posts: 248 Curl Connoisseur
    I recently did my first DT--got the recipe from a book called Naturally Healthy Hair.

One mashed banana (actually I pureed it in a blender)
    One tablespoon honey
    One teaspoon EVOO (the recipe said almond oil, but I didn't have any, so I substituted olive oil)

Not sure I'd use just olive oil, but my hair definitely seems to like it when I add it to something else.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
  • JoridJorid NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 19
    Just tried DT. I made it with: olive oil, a teaspoon honey and a little bit coconut oil.

The result: soft shiny hair, defined curl, and a little bit frizz. (Check pictures in my album). It looks a little bit too shiny I think, almost oily. Maybe I'll have to wash it one more time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file