Mineral make-up discovery!!! and a $5 off coupon

dancingbellydancingbelly Posts: 10Registered Users
hi all--

i've just discovered a really great mineral make-up. much more affordable ($15.50 for the same size jar as the bare minerals stuff) than bare minerals and the other companies. i used bare minerals for a while but it made my face itch, it was shiny (even though my face is not oily) and the color never seemed to be right.

i went on a search for another mineral make-up company and i found Aromaleigh. wow is this stuff fantastic! no shine. no itch. and there are way more color options than the other brands. i *finally* have a face powder that disappears when i put it. i have a really hard time finding face powder because my skin is very light. i know my avatar makes it look like i'm darker but the lighting was very dark when the photo was taken. my skin is actually porcelain- a snow white look to it and usually face powder/foundation is too dark and too orange. i use the Aromaleigh 1C/L and it is absolutely perfect!!! you can get samples before you buy (they aren't free but it's a cheaper way to discover the perfect color than buying full jars). and with every order, you get 3 free eyeshadow samples. ckeck the site for details.

if you want to try it, click on the link below. if you order at least $20, you get $5 off your first order. the link can be a bit tricky. make sure to follow the directions that came with the url posted below. make sure your $5 coupon has been taken before you hit the final purchase button. if you miss it, there is no way to go back and fix it. let me know if you are having problems with the link.

i can't rave enough about this stuff. very natural. light. it doesn't feel like a goopy mask. wonderful! an the color choices are far superior to the other companies.

[url]http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?aromaleighinc+r4Axht+index.html+NEWBEAUTY
[/url]

here are the instructions that were sent with the link:

Please use this url when referring others to our site. This unique code
provides your referral with a coupon good for $5 off their first order of $20 worth of product!

This is the code which you must give via email to your referrals. They must shop and complete their transaction via this link you give them. They
cannot close windows, close browsers, etc... They have to click on the link, shop and check out, completing their order.
3A botticelli spirals in the canopy in the front back and sides--a few 3B ringlets boing out here and there.
Curly Girl since 8/26/03

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Someone else was raving about this line in Non-hair. I might get some samples. Thanks!
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Aromaleigh! I'm an Alabaster, 1Y/1L, 1L user. I usually use Alabaster but 1Y/1L is better for covering redness when I have it. I also love the eyeliner, which goes on smoothly and doesn't make my eyes itch like almost every other eyeliner I've tried over the last several years. I am a huge fan of the Pure Hues, which are similar to MAC pigments but soooo much less expensive! I'm currently obsessed with the Isabella Eye Lustre and I'm almost always wearing one of the lip glosses. I have Rave on my lips at the moment for a "natural" look. Oh yes, and they have a blush shade (rosewood) that stops me from looking like a corpse but doesn't make me look like a clown. That's not easy to find. I've never been devoted to one makeup line before but I think I am now.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • dancingbellydancingbelly Posts: 10Registered Users
    i love those lustre shadows too!! just enough sparkle but not too overwhelming for daytime wear. i love red lipstick so dahlia lipstick and lava lipgloss are my current faves. for a good nude lipstick (but not too beigey or yellow) i have discoverd belladonna to be fantabulous!

oh-- BTW-- the products smell like chocolate. but it isn't overwhelming and the smell floats away gracefully soon after application so you don't smell like chocolate. just a nice hint/wave of it on initial application.
    3A botticelli spirals in the canopy in the front back and sides--a few 3B ringlets boing out here and there.
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
    Dancingbelly, my thoughts exactly on the Eye Lustres! I am a huge fan of red lipstick. have Dahlia and Lava in my purse at this very moment. :D If you like those, you might also like the Grenadine lipstick. It's a lovely, deep, dark wine-red. It's best applied with a light hand or it tends to go almost black. Blotting with a tissue works too. I don't find I need to blot the Dahlia at all though. And yes, they have a tasty chocolate orange scent. I guess not everyone loves chocolate oranges but I totally do so they're perfect for me!
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
    i've been trying to figure out which one of the more neutral/berry glosses would be best for me. i look hideous in brown so i want to stay away from any that are browned. my nudes have to be on the pink or berry end of nude rather than the peach or tan end. know what i mean? so is rave more of a berry or a brown? what is your coloring like-- cool /warm-- winter/summer or autumn/spring?

i just received my grenadine lipstick today :D i'm so excited to give it a whirl!! so glad to hear there are other AL lovers here. do you participate on their forum? what's your username if you do?
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CRAP! I just ordered $23 worth of stuff LAST NIGHT. :shock: I could have justified ordering another two samples if I had known about the coupon...I'm gonna go cry now.

I really should visit this forum more often..<sniffle, sniffle>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • orangebeachorangebeach Posts: 39Registered Users
    Wow! This make-up sounds just like what I've been searching for. Thanks for posting. Does anyone have any color recommendations for me? I've got olive skin tone, brown hair and eyes. Also, I like a natural look - I don't wear a whole lot of make-up. Thanks again!
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

Current faves: Elucence M/B Conditioner, Jessicurl DT and Too Shea!, LA Looks Curl Looks Gel, Suave Milk and Honey for condish washing, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
    hello orangebeach.

color suggestions.... hmmm.... well i guess that depends on what kind of natural you prefer. when i'm going for a nude lipstick ,for example, i prefer mine to be on the pink end rather than the beige end. so the lipcolor isn't PINK! but more like my own lipcolor. do you know about the seasonal color thing? are you an autumn, spring, summer, or winter? that would help. the face powder/foundation is divided among more warm colors (more yellow underones) and cool colors (more blue/pink undertones). they even have more nuetral shades. but even in the neutral shades they are divided-- at least in my experience. "neutral" leans to the warm side of the spectrum while "linen" leans to the cool side and has a more taupe look to it.

can you post a photo so we can get a better idea of your coloring? luckily, they sell samples so you can buy those and try them out before you invest in a full size tub of it.
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
    Thanks for the reply, dancingbelly. I e-mailed Amy at Aromleigh with my questions. Thanks again for posting about this site.
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

Current faves: Elucence M/B Conditioner, Jessicurl DT and Too Shea!, LA Looks Curl Looks Gel, Suave Milk and Honey for condish washing, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
    you're very welcome! i'm glad to spread the word about that stuff. the AL website also has a great forum. you can get a lot of help from the women on there. have fun exploring the samples!
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
    I have already joined the Forum and my head is swimming with all this new info. :)
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

i've been trying to figure out which one of the more neutral/berry glosses would be best for me. i look hideous in brown so i want to stay away from any that are browned. my nudes have to be on the pink or berry end of nude rather than the peach or tan end. know what i mean? so is rave more of a berry or a brown? what is your coloring like-- cool /warm-- winter/summer or autumn/spring?

i just received my grenadine lipstick today :D i'm so excited to give it a whirl!! so glad to hear there are other AL lovers here. do you participate on their forum? what's your username if you do?

I look pretty bad in any sort of brown lipstick too. My best "nude" color is a sort of plum/mauve. It's just a tiny bit darker than my natural lip color. Rave is close to that. It's definitely more a berry than a brown. My coloring is classic winter -- dark hair, milky white skin, dark blue eyes. I can sometimes pull off peachy tones but I look most healthy in jewel tones.

I think I joined the AL forum but I don't think I've ever posted. I don't even remember my user name but it is probably IndigoRain. That's what I usually use when Rain is taken.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
    hi rain--

i tried the grenadine and followed your advice about using it sparingly. what a great color!! it looked great with the purple dress i wore. i just received a huge shipment of AL products-- my good friend gave me a $200 gift certificate for them for my birthday :shock: what a great gift! she's addicted to the AL stuff too so she knows how much i appreciated that as a present.

i'm thinking of getting the rave next time i place an order. from your description, sounds like another good AL color. i checked out your photo album and i think we have similar coloring so if it looks good on you it'll probably work on me too. thanks for the tip :) oh-- great photos of updo/buns! i gotta give some of those a try but i'm so bad at hair styling.

in my most recent order, i received a sample of foxglove. it is listed at silvery taupe not cool but warm. i don't understand why they list it as warm because seems really cool to me. do you have this color in your make-up arsenal? what do you thnk?
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
    I should be getting my samples on Friday or Monday and am anxious to try them out. I just hope I can get the foundation color/technique right. I may be calling on y'all for some help! :)
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

yay!!! i'm excited for you :D bring on the questions :lol:
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I've been using this line for a few years now. Bismuth free minerals are one of the few makeups that don't break me out, and the new Aromaleigh Voile foundation is the only mineral foundation I have found that looks as good on me as liquid foundation. I find that application of the foundation works better with a foundation brush than a kabuki or flat-head. But that is just my preference with it. The others work okay, but not quite as well.

The little eye shadow jars and larger blush jars last forever. I've yet to go completely through one yet. The foundation lasts, for me, an average amount of time. The lipstick (especially "sheen") is fantastic. Sheen seems to be a good universal, looks good on all caucasian women (don't know about ethnic colors, but I think it would look good on those skin tones too) and appropriate for all colors. And the best part is that it smells like chocolate.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. The forum there is a good place too, but most people just tell you to buy samples and try out different application methods.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got my samples and tried them out yesterday and so far, so good! I haven't worn them out in the FL heat much so that will be a good test for them, but I really liked how it felt that nothing was on my face. I used the sponge to put them on with and I guess I was doing it right? The only problem that I had was it made my face a little flaky the first time I used it (that night after getting it in the mail so it was no big deal), but the next day I used lotion first and didn't have that problem. I'm a little concerned about that in the winter time because even with lotion my face gets a little flaky. Does anyone use the sponge wet to apply the powder? Just curious.. Or does anyone use the sponge at all? I really don't want to spend $25 on a brush at this point, but not really sure what type of brush I can get somewhere like Target or the drugstore that will work correctly.

I also got a sample of the lipgloss and I liked that ok. I don't think I'd like the brush applicator though. I thought about trying a lipstick...anyone like those? I also got a eyeliner and really like it. Smooth application and I didn't have a problem with it rubbing off like some others I've tried.

Mercy...something else to spend money on! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    I get streaky results with a sponge. My face actually tends to be a little oily in the Georgia heat and humidity. But what I do is apply my moisturizer and let it soak in for at least 10 minutes. Then I apply an oil absorbing film of Clinac O.C. and let that dry. Then I apply the minerals dry with the foundation brush.

Just an FYI, I've tested quite a few kabukis, flat brushes and foundation brushes. If you do decide to buy a brush, I have found that I like the Bobbi Brown kabuki best, the Vincent Longo foundation brush best, and the Jane Iredale flat head brush best. You might also consider buying a brush from an art supply store, which would cost significantly less than one from a makeup source.
    What shape should the brush be -flat or not? Any details would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out all the application do's and don'ts. It's a little overwhelming. :( However, I am enjoying dabbling in all those little sample baggies.

Thanks again, dancingbelly, for sharing info about this company with us! :D
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

i use the round kabuki brush. i think someting with a rounded top would work best, but that's just my opinion. put a little bit in the lid of the jar then swirl the roudned brush in it then tap the side of the brush on the lid to remove excess then sweep onto your face. it is much better to start with a little and layer as you see fit. a little goes a long way with this stuff.

i'm glad you like the make-up!! i couldn't keep that a secret :D
    Curly Girl since 8/26/03
  • smallpeassmallpeas Posts: 162Registered Users
    What's the difference between the Voilé and the Glissade foundations in terms of look and feel?

I've been using Bare Minerals and am wondering which of the above is comparable in terms of coverage. I read something about Aromaleigh Pure Powder (which is now Voilé) giving a lighter coverage than BM. I would consider the Pure Cover, but it's being discontinued.

And do they have a Mineral Veil-like item?

Thanks.

anicetta wrote:
    What's the difference between the Voilé and the Glissade foundations in terms of look and feel?

I've been using Bare Minerals and am wondering which of the above is comparable in terms of coverage. I read something about Aromaleigh Pure Powder (which is now Voilé) giving a lighter coverage than BM. I would consider the Pure Cover, but it's being discontinued.

Thanks.

Trust me when I say that you wouldn't want the pure cover as a foundation anyway. It's not so finely milled and doesn't have a very smooth appearance. I don't even bother with it as concealer. I use the eyeshadow color flaxen -- a pale yellow for my under eye concealer and to hide any redness from zits.

Now your question. I honestly don't know what the coverage difference is in Voile and Glissade. Voile is more like the older pure powder but supposedly with a little better coverage. Glissade has some silicones in it and is less drying for people with dry skin. That's the official line anyway.

What I can tell you is this. With Bare Minerals, the result on me was either the appearance that I had done nothing, including nothing to improve the appearance of my skin, or it looked cakey. With Pure Powder, it always looked like a very light dusting of powder with no foundation. Didn't cover squat. Regardless, Bare Minerals contains bismuth, which I have found irritates my skin. Aromaleigh's formulas do not contain Bismuth.

I have not tried the Voile, but the coverage is supposed to be a little better than Pure Powder was. I use the Glissade now, and the coverage for me is perfect. Not heavy, but not a "why bother" level either.

I do not have dry skin, but the Glissade just works better for me.

Fortunately, you can order samples cheaply from AL. So if I were you, that's what I would do.
    annemj wrote:
    I do not have dry skin, but the Glissade just works better for me.

Fortunately, you can order samples cheaply from AL. So if I were you, that's what I would do.
    Sounds like the Glissade would be a better choice for me, but I went ahead this morning and ordered samples from Cory Cosmetics. If those don't work out for me, I'll try some Glissade and/or Voilé samples.

• lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    anicetta wrote:

They have something called Porcelaine that serves usually under the makeup to absorb oil, and is considered mattifying. It works pretty good. Here's the link:
    http://www.aromaleigh.com/poroilconmat.html

The Bare Minerals mineral veil has the following ingredients:
    Ingredients: Cornstarch, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide.

Aromaleigh's has these ingredients:
    Ingredients: Magnesium Stearate, Calcium Carbonate, Sericite mica (CI 77019), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

Cornstarch would absorb oils, but so do the ingredients in the Porcelaine. I avoid any starches myself because my skin is acne-prone, and they can be problematic for it.

Aromaleigh's cosmetics also contain mica as a main ingredient, which some may find problematic for sensitive or acne-prone skin. I haven't had that problem myself. I just couldn't find the right shade for my skin tone, although I realize you can mix them together if necessary.

HTH! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
    Thanks for the info about Porcelaine, lazykerri.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file