What is the sound you hate the most?

Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
Sounds REALLY bug me, far more than anything else. These are a few of my favorite gems from suburbia.

Feel free to post your own.
3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
Formerly "Rainyday"
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Definatly Car/house alarm from that list.

I think the sound that actually gets to me the most is bugs though. I had a fly in my room a few weeks ago and that dam thing kept me up all night buzzing around. And mosquitos, those stupid things just seem to buzz right around your ear. I can block just about anything out, but bugs buzzing around make me want to throw something out the window :x
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    My daughter's whiny cry that she uses when she's not getting her way.

I also cringe when someone scapes a bowl or plate with a utensil. My husband and his sons have scratched some of my china doing this. Just get another helping or something.
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    All of these really irritate me, except for the babies/kids. I just put that one in because I know it bugs everyone else.

My vote goes to the AM radio, though, because this is the most intentional of them all. The mindless droning, I can't take it! And the commercials! Augh! How can people listen to it? I have pretty sucessfully avoided commercials in my life, so I have NO tolerance. But why, oh why, play it so loud the whole neighborhood has to listen? Ack.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,767Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    All of the above.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    It was pretty much a tie between dogs barking and babies crying. But I chose the babies crying as the worst. And i've heard both for well over 2 hours. Will never forget that flight anytime soon... oof... 5 hours of screaming.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    All of these things have the potential to get extremely annoying but I would have to say that a car alarm annoys me the most. At my old apartment complex, this one car would go off at random times throughout the day and night for no reason. I'm guessing it was sensitive, and whenever a large vehicle or more than one vehicle would drive past it, it would go off. And then when the owner tried to cut it off, it would make this constant beeping noise and would sometimes go off again. :x This went on for a year.

Absolutely annoyed the hell out of me! I'm so glad we moved.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    This has nothing to do with the sound of a particular "thing", but I CANNOT STAND the sound of Rickie Klayman's voice on the radio!! :x She has an ugly sounding voice that I do NOT want to hear on the radio in the morning.

For those that don't know who she is, she used to be on Court TV and she's married to LA Police Commissioner William Bratton. On TV she sounds fine, but on the radio her voice is very grating. Just ugly to listen to. She's replacing Bill Handel on KFI radio. He's a total crack up. Thank goodness he'll be back next week.

Knowing how LA is I think somebody owed somebody a favor and decided to put her on. Oh and another thing I can't stand about her is that she drops names ALL THE TIME. :roll: Ninety percent of the important people mentioned in the news she's always like "He/She is a great friend of mine". So f'n what!!! Just tell the news [email protected] it. :x

Okay, another sound that bothers is chalkboard scratching. 8)
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I agree with the chalkboard and scraping of plates. The worst is crying babies/children.
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    By far, the ALARM clock. What an awful way to wake up.
    pw: curlie
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    natalia wrote:
    By far, the ALARM clock. What an awful way to wake up.

I hate alarm clocks!
    I have my cell phone wake me up with frogs croaking 8)
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • PJcurlPJcurl Posts: 71Registered Users
    Funny..or scary ..a guy last night went out and shot a car several times cuz the car alarm was blaring and no one was there to turn it off so he shot the car up. He was arrested shortly after. This happened in Simi Valley, CA, a little city that is renowned for having a ton of cops living in it. Still the baby crying thing makes me cringe.
    Doh!
    PJ
    HG: WEN Sweet Almond
    Ojon RT
    Oils (jojoba, olive, sapote, carrot)
    Kinky curly custard
    Blended Beauty (new fave)
    I will not chop my hair off in frustration this year. I will not..I promise, no braids, no braids, no chopping.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted barking dog, because our neighbors' jack russell terrier barks all freakin' day! She just stands outside and barks, barks barks!! :twisted: You'd think she'd go hoarse or something, but no.

Otherwise, all of the above bug me. It's just the barking dog that actually happens to me all the time, therefore the vote.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    this

The buzzing of heavy bass music in a car that can't handle it.

A mosquito while you are trying to go to sleep.

Copier that keeps going and going...

not really this but I thought it was funny
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I despise car alarms. I mean, what do they really accomplish when the owner doesn't go running out to see if there is a problem? They get set off too easily. Makes me want to take a hammer to the car.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Babies crying hands down. A close 2nd is toddler's voices. I don't know if it's the pitch, frequency, incessance or simply decibel level, but I can hear a 2 year old a mile away and it makes my bones ache, my jaw tighten, and my hair stand on end.

Ice-crunching comes in a distant 3rd to those two!
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm gonna go with false fire alarms...especially the ones that wake me up at 2:30 am :evil:

Ahhh, The joys of apartment living.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • amerasiancurlsamerasiancurls Posts: 168Registered Users
    car alarms. those get to me everytime! i especially love it when the car alarm goes off and the owner doesn't even come outside to turn it off until it's been on for what seems like half an hour! grrr!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    meryn wrote:
    A close 2nd is toddler's voices. I don't know if it's the pitch, frequency, incessance or simply decibel level, but I can hear a 2 year old a mile away and it makes my bones ache, my jaw tighten, and my hair stand on end.

Ew, yeah. The high-pitched screech of a toddler girl (and some boys). :shock: :twisted: Worse than nails on a chalkboard (*that* I can handle better!). Makes me glad I had a boy who never screeched or squealed. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • tinkerbell0625tinkerbell0625 Posts: 91Registered Users
    macluan wrote:
    I also cringe when someone scapes a bowl or plate with a utensil.

i can't stand this ^.

for some reason the whole nails on a chalk board has never bothered me.
    ~~member since 1999~~

Some people are like Slinkies...
    They're not really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when
    you push them down a flight of stairs

125_green.gif

468_orange.gif
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    The screaming/yelling is the only thing I hear regularly. Somehow the people who built my neighborhood were geniuses, so you barely hear other people's animals at all. It's great. And I don't hear car alarms around here, either.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • L'n-zL'n-z Posts: 208Registered Users
    Cardboard.

The sound it makes when you're unfolding a flat box open and the sides scrape together is the worst in the world.

And whistling.
    8)
  • L1S1L1S1 Posts: 91Registered Users
    Bathroom Noises.
  • curlierthanthoucurlierthanthou Posts: 13Registered Users
    For me it's any repetitive sound: phone, microwave beeping, alarm clock, etc. Also, cable systems where the commercials are three times as loud as the shows, WTF is with that?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file