Omega 3s/Fish oil capsules

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone have embarrassing intestinal problems with this?

I went without taking anything for a week to clear my system & within minutes of taking the Omega 3s/Fish Oil my insides started rumbling & shortly thereafter, I was stinking myself & everyone else out well into the next day! :oops:

And I'm supposed to take these for better overall health? :(

Comments

• KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote: »
    Does anyone have embarrassing intestinal problems with this?

I went without taking anything for a week to clear my system & within minutes of taking the Omega 3s/Fish Oil my insides started rumbling & shortly thereafter, I was stinking myself & everyone else out well into the next day! :oops:

And I'm supposed to take these for better overall health? :(

No....other than burbing up a fishy taste.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I haven't had this either, but a couple of things occur to me.

You may be affected by the amount you are taking - too much at one time?

Could your batch have gone rancid? I know lots of brands say they can be room temp - but I've read that with all oils, it's really best to refrigerate them.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm on my second batch of oil-filled capsules & they're different from the first in that they're a different brand, slightly higher dosage & enteric-coated. I haven't seen either bottle state to refrigerate them. They're also both USP or whatever approved.

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the first brand/bottle too.

I did a little search on the internet after posting & found forums where others have complained of bad different types of "discharge".

I guess certain people just can't tolerate the oils.

And I need them supposedly, for better hair/scalp issues, vein/artery issues, spinal cord issues... :(

ETA: I also have bloating, etc., problems with protein shakes. I wonder if it's that I'm mixing it with milk?

And has anyone had any intestinal problems from the joint supplements like Flex-a-Min that contain MSM, Chondroitin (sp), Glucosamine & Hyalauronic (sp) Acid? I think those were bothering me too.

With all three of these I'm going to keep clearing my system for a week & isolate them by use until I figure out what the deal is, which one is bad for me.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Have you tried flax seed oil capsules? I know that Spectrum (brand name) makes them. I've also seen refrigerated bottles of flax seed oil, but that's not in capsules so there could be an ick factor in swallowing it.

My parents like the Fisol fish oil capsules. They look like little bird eggs. I've been sticking to Nordic Naturals which has lemon oil in at as well to help with fish burps. Or you could try different brands based on what kind of fish they're using, some provide that information, some don't.

I don't keep my capsules refrigerated, but like kcurls said, you're supposed to, or least keep them out of direct light.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    Nobody's ever told me to refrigerate them. I now see that the current bottle says to keep them cool & dry. I've been keeping them under a cabinet a couple feet away from the refrigerator. I don't know if it matters any now, but they're now in the refrigerator. They don't smell like anything other than mild fish so I'm guessing they're not rancid.

If after my system clears in a week & again the pills start doing me wrong on the first dosage, I guess I will have to try Flaxseed Oil. I hope they have enough of the Omega 3s that I'm supposed to get. The neurosurgeon said to take my 1200 pills at two twice daily. I'd only been taking one twice daily, even before switching brands & dosages.

I think I'm going to also do the elimination work for all other supplements, besides those noted above, which also includes inositol & choline, kelp/iodine, PABA, St John's Wort & Women's One-A-Day, to see if they too bother me in any way.

This sucks.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    The Mayo Clinic has way more info on omega 3 than I ever wanted to know. If you search on flaxseed oil, they also have information about that. It's a good source of omega 3, but isn't equivalent to fish oil and then there's all this other stuff that's different about it (that I'm not going to type out!)

The Mayo says to reduce digestive upset from fish oil capsules, you should start with a small dose and slowly increase as your body gets used to them, and also take them with a meal. It sounds like you already started out with half the dose your dr recommended, I don't know how small of capsules you can get. Maybe try a 600 mg cap once a day, with your largest meal?

I had no idea my digestive system would fail me when I hit my 40s!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote: »

ETA: I also have bloating, etc., problems with protein shakes. I wonder if it's that I'm mixing it with milk?

That would do it for me - I'm lactose intolerant!

Good for you, LL, even though it's a hassle, cutting down and adding back. I've had to do this on several occasions now, since, as Castella mentioned, my 40s, too, have been all about digestive troubles. But it's the best way to tell.

Here's a weird thing that helped me with digestion in general, not fish oil specifically: seratonin. I was having trouble with my anti-depressant and having digestive trouble, but I didn't think the two were correlated. My MD and I have been working, successfully, on my seratonin levels (I'm taking 5HTP), and I happened to mention that I was having less gas and bloating and he said, oh yeah, a lot of seratonin lives in your gut, so balancing out your seratonin may have improved your digestion. Hmm, who knew.

Anyway, I am in no way an expert AT ALL, but just thought I would report my own experience.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    The previous fish oil capsules were smaller & I was having the same problems then. They may have gotten worse when the capsule size increased from 1000, I'm guessing, to 1200. And I took them with a meal. :dontknow:

About the problems with the protein mix, I'm not lactose intolerant.

I've had digestive problems starting in late teen years or early 20s, with IBS & feeling like I have an ulcer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file