Conditioner ingredients... proteins?

miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
Hi there,

I'm living away from home at the moment and have forgotten my CG book! I've been doing various no-poo routines over the last 8 months or so, but mainly conditioner-free. I'm thinking of returning to conditioner but I'm finding it difficult to find any good products here in Spain. The only cone-free conditioner I've managed to find has the following ingredients:

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Buxus Chinesis, Aloe Barbadensis, Chamomila, Prunus Persica, Parfum, Citronellol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, CI E-150, 16255, 19140

Are any of those ingredients undesireable in a no-poo routine? Quite a few are natural, which I like. The truth is I'd rather not use ANY chemicals on my hair, but it always looks much better while using cone-free conditioner than, say, salt and lemon juice. The above conditioner is quite heavy and has been leaving my hair quite lank and coated-feeling.

Also, how do I tell if a conditioner has proteins in it? What ingredients should I be looking out for?

Thank you!
Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
- Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
- Shikakai powder
- Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly

Comments

• miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    :(
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• darkBlondiedarkBlondie Registered Users Posts: 84
    Hi Miralaluna :) Unfortunately I can´t answer to your question very well, because I´m also quite a newbie specially in this product jungle... But I can refer to you a thread In "General Discussion" with name "ingredients, help again,please". (Sorry, don´t know how to link it here, but it´s easy to find) There you´ll find good answers and experts to answer, specially Echokitten has a huge amount of knowledge.

By the way, I´ve gone ´no poo for several months now, too, and mostly I use BS and ACV and sometimes lemon rinses. I´ve found it very good for my hair, though sometimes I also use some CG friendly COs. My problem is that I haven´t found very good home made recipes for a deep treatment that would be easily washed away with WO or BS. Do you know good ones? Sorry if this is OT, you can send me a PM if you feel like.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Hey, nothing on that list of ingredients stands out to me as being CG, so I think it's fine.

If you're looking out for proteins, there's a long list of ingredients to look out for, I don't know what they all are... as suggested, I'd do a search, as there have been a number of threads devoted to that topic.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    Unfortunately, I think these forums have been pruned and old topics are no longer available to read.

This conditioner has been working ok although it's a little heavy. It's very difficult to find good ones here.

thanks for your help gals :)
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

By the way, I´ve gone ´no poo for several months now, too, and mostly I use BS and ACV and sometimes lemon rinses. I´ve found it very good for my hair, though sometimes I also use some CG friendly COs. My problem is that I haven´t found very good home made recipes for a deep treatment that would be easily washed away with WO or BS. Do you know good ones? Sorry if this is OT, you can send me a PM if you feel like.

I made quite a nice one with liquidized banana and honey, maybe with a couple drops of Vitamin E oil.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• darkBlondiedarkBlondie Registered Users Posts: 84
    miralaluna wrote: »
    I made quite a nice one with liquidized banana and honey, maybe with a couple drops of Vitamin E oil.

Sorry to answer this late, I haven´t been to this forum for quite a while. Thank you for the recipe. How did you manage to get banana out of your hair :scratch: ? I made once a DT with well smashed banana in it and was desperately trying to get it out of my hair. The DT contained also cream so my hair smelled like a baby´s puke even though I washed it. Only a shampoo wash helped... But I can´t deny that my hair felt soft when dry :wink:

For example hydrolyzed wheat protein is an ingredient containing protein. I´m not sure if I´m sensitive to proteins, but after using a conditioner containing above mentioned ingredient I felt my hair coarse. It also felt dry, kind of lifeless and it didn´t shine. Sometimes it takes for a while to notice it. I read it somewhere that it´s a kind of a process that the protein substitutes the moisture but I don´t know if I understood it right.

I think one way to find it out if you are protein sensitive (without buying a new product) is washing your hair with an egg. I used an egg with a little lemon juice and worked it through the WO washed hair and scalp. I let it sit during showering and then washed it away with warm (not too warm) water. The hair and scalp became extremely clean though they were quite grease before washing. First my hair felt and looked very good, shiny and with volume but after another wash or so I felt the hair turned coarse.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file