BC. Now what?

ttrowerttrower Registered Users Posts: 33
I cut off most of my relaxed hair this week and am now wondering what to do as far as a hair care routine. I've got about 2 inches of natural hair on my head and I'm a 4a mostly. the stylist left some of the relaxed ends in the front (I think she thought they were cute, but are now starting to annoy me.)

I'm playing with products (detanglers, butter cremes, etc.), but really how often should I be washing my hair. I know that too often is drying, but I lose any curl definition after the first day. So on the days I don't wash how do i get those nice curlies to come back? and if I wind up using several products to get the curls, should I be washing every day anyway.

What's your routine?

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Can you go back and ask her to cut the last relaxed ends? Because with relaxed ends in your hair you're going to have a harder time styling.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• ttrowerttrower Registered Users Posts: 33
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Can you go back and ask her to cut the last relaxed ends? Because with relaxed ends in your hair you're going to have a harder time styling.
    Probably not. She's the woman I had been going to for a relaxer and doesn't really specialize in natural hair. I was going to her just to get a trim before I rebraided, but decided to cut the whole thing off.

I was pushing my luck on a style I liked and need to find a natural stylist.But I want to wait a bit before it gets any shorter.
  • AshCash3443AshCash3443 Registered Users Posts: 2
    ttrower wrote: »
    I cut off most of my relaxed hair this week and am now wondering what to do as far as a hair care routine. I've got about 2 inches of natural hair on my head and I'm a 4a mostly. the stylist left some of the relaxed ends in the front (I think she thought they were cute, but are now starting to annoy me.)

I'm playing with products (detanglers, butter cremes, etc.), but really how often should I be washing my hair. I know that too often is drying, but I lose any curl definition after the first day. So on the days I don't wash how do i get those nice curlies to come back? and if I wind up using several products to get the curls, should I be washing every day anyway.

What's your routine?

Hi... I recently BC'ed too. Washing everyday with shampoo is drying, but you can safely "wash" with conditioner or rinse with water to get your curls back. I conditioner wash every day with Regis Olive Oil Conditioner and/or Mask. I have to because my curls straighten out into a puffy mess at night. HTH. :)
    3B/3C thick hair... growing out TR. 10 months into transition.
  • akilamoniqueakilamonique Registered Users Posts: 302
    ttrower wrote: »

What's your routine?

I think we are in the same boat. Everything in the back of my head is natural, no relaxer at all and has beautiful curls I never knew I had. The front on the other hand is a different story. I have been wearing those plastic head bands(cloth rub my widows peak off, and makes frizz) so you can't really see the relaxed hair in the front. This afternoon I got sick of it, and cut it almost down to the curl wavy part( you can see it before I cut the ends on my fotiki). I want to try it tomorrow without a headband or barrettes If it turns out ok, I will post those pics too.
    ACV Rinse 2-3 times a week
    Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    Curly Kinks: Satin Root, Coil Jam
    Castor oil on scalp
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    the stylist left some of the relaxed ends in the front (I think she thought they were cute, but are now starting to annoy me.)

That's funny. Didn't you ask her to cut all the relaxed hair off? Go back and tell her to finish the job LOL.

You can wet your hair every day, condition rinse or wash it every day and try out different products. Since you have 2 inches, you can plop with a towel and just let it shrink since there's no way to get more length when your hair is like that - it's still growing out. I was so clueless when I had a TWA that I would shampoo my hair every day LOL.

Here's what I would do - cowash or co-rinse; apply a leave in and a gel, and plop with a t-shirt or microfibre or waffleweave towel (one with no nap or loops). Remove the towel, bend down and shake my hair a few times, and use a little gel to coax some curls by your hair linem forehead and on crown, then let it air dry.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ttrowerttrower Registered Users Posts: 33
    that is hysterical... your hair looks a lot like mine. I cut the ends in front this morning too with tiny scissors. I feel better, even though I know I need someone who knows what they are doing (not the original stylist) to go through and cut it properly.

Good luck... let me know how it goes tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file