anyone tried surya henna cream?

redmumredmum Posts: 125Registered Users
hi, has anyone tried the surya henna hair creams, they seem on paper like an easier way to apply henna, ie 30 mins and claim to cover grey which is what i am interested in. any advice welcome!, thanks

Comments

• ChrysovyiChrysovyi Posts: 110Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's a bit of talk about Surya henna cream on the hennaforhair forum, and it might be worth checking that out as well as here. I did read about it fading, but everyone's grey seems to react differently to everything.

I haven't used it but I've just covered my grey with a henna/indigo/cassia mix and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I left it on for an hour. There's been no fading on the grey yet and it's been 3 weeks.
  • redmumredmum Posts: 125Registered Users
    thanks again Chrysovyi for a great reply, i will look at that forum{had not noticed it before}Your mix sounded good, if you have time could you tell me the amounts, and was it as messy as just henna powder.
    guess i never appreciated having grey free hair when i should have!
    Hi redmum,

I did my whole head that first time, and used equal quantities of henna, indigo and cassia. I mixed them together dry because I wanted to try for a lighter, more golden brown and others on the henna forum had got that using it premixed. I used 12 tbsps of each and mixed in warm herbal tea (cinnamon and mango) for scent and 2 tsps honey. It was too much mixture really, but I didn't want to do too little. Next time I'll just do roots with a lot less paste, then add the remaining paste to conditioner to do a gloss on the rest of my hair. That way I might keep the colour fairly light.

I put in on top of the Rayburn and left it for 20 minutes before putting it on my hair. Dye release had started by then. I left it on for 1 hour, wrapped in cling film and a towel. But yes, it was as messy as just henna powder, especially as indigo needs to be a bit runnier to work properly. I used a sort of piping bag thing to put it on with, and made a lot less mess than I thought I would! I'm really pleased with it and I'm going to get a squeezy applicator bottle to do the roots with next time - try to make it easier!

Chrys
    squeezy bottle seems a good idea, i usually end up with more on the floor than my head!
  • EvieEvie Posts: 13Registered Users
    Very True. My floor after using just pure henna to make my hair more reddy, I loved the results though...:iconbiggrin:

IMGP0832.jpg
    Hair type- 2c/3a

"You are who you are. You can't change that. Just go out and be it." - Evangeline Lilly
  • disciples7disciples7 Posts: 138Registered Users
    I have trird the surya henna and I really didn't like it because after about a couple of weeks it begin to fade and my gray would take on a real bright, faded brassy color. I begin using the powdered henna from hennaforhair and I mix 100g of henna with 150g of indigo and 25g of alma and my hair lokks wonderful and my gray is blended in with the natural color of my hair which is dark brown.
    Dora A. Hockenhull
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Great thread!!! Where is everyone buying their henna/indigo/cassia and alma from? Also, any other recommended tips or books or websites on this? I am very interested in using henna to cover graying hair. Not right now, but in the foreseeable future. It seems healthy, lasting and good for the hair!
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    hi, yes always good to find others battling with grey, i have only used pure henna before and would like to try mixing it with indigo etc.
    anyway about your question if you google henna for hair, there are a few websites and forums, lots of information re grey etc. i have not waded through them yet, let us know if you find anything good, good luck
    sorry no good at doing links!
    Great thread!!! Where is everyone buying their henna/indigo/cassia and alma from? Also, any other recommended tips or books or websites on this? I am very interested in using henna to cover graying hair. Not right now, but in the foreseeable future. It seems healthy, lasting and good for the hair!

I buy mine from hennaboy in the UK, but I got samples from mehandi.com. The site redmum mentioned (www.hennaforhair.com) has a list of good suppliers, and also has a free e-book with lots of information on using henna, indigo, cassia and amla. The links for those are on the home page, and the forum link is there too (great advice given on that). There's a big thread on this forum too, in the 4a board. It's called 'experiences with henna', but I've only got an old link for that.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Thanks! I am going to check out hennaforhair.com. The 4a henna thread interests me but it is a monster at 50+ pages! Sort of intimidating..
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • stephanieannstephanieann Posts: 25Registered Users
    I've been using the Surya cream for about a year now. I have naturally dark brown hair and the light golden brown color makes my gray strands look coppery.. Once a month I apply it to my roots for about 15 minutes then to the rest of my head for another 15 minutes and it covers my gray completely. It's much more forgiving than traditional haircolor...I've left it on with heat for well over an hour before and it just gives more intense color. I've found that the swatches on the boxes aren't very accurate. The light golden brown is actually less golden on me than the light ash brown. I think they tend to run dark too, I would call the light browns that I've tried more of a medium brown. My hair feels wonderful after I rinse the color out - no dryness or tangles. The only downside I've found is that it stains my scalp until the next shampoo (perhaps because I just smoosh it all over instead of carefully applying it to my hair). I usually do it on a Friday night and wear a hat if I go anywhere on Saturday, then wash on Sunday.
    thanks stephanieann it sounds a good alternative to regular dyes, think i will try it before going back to henna powder
    i have just tried this and like it so far, very easy to apply and hair felt great when washed out. it covered my grey perfectly, i guess i will have to see how it is in a few weeks. hair looks shiny and healthy. i dont mind if i have to apply it more frequently than regular dyes because it is so easy and seems good for hair. i did get the dyed scalp look at first too stepanieann but it went after first wash.
    redmum wrote: »
    i have just tried this and like it so far, very easy to apply and hair felt great when washed out. it covered my grey perfectly, i guess i will have to see how it is in a few weeks. hair looks shiny and healthy. i dont mind if i have to apply it more frequently than regular dyes because it is so easy and seems good for hair. i did get the dyed scalp look at first too stepanieann but it went after first wash.

redmum, what Surya colour did you choose and what colour did it turn your grey? Does the cream have a full list of ingredients with it? I've been looking at the colours they do but I've got a really difficult scalp - I'm allergic to so many things.

Thanks, Chrys
    hi, chrys, i used mahogany and it turned my greys reddish so a different colour from my dark brown but i was expecting that. i will try a copper or brown next time to see how they are. i think the cream had a full list of ingredients but i have thrown it away. it did have a label on it saying new formula with no mineral oil and no something else! sorry i am so unhelpful. i think they may be available on one of the supplying websites, not sure which one but would have been a uk based one. if i find it again i will try and post ingredients for you, good luck
  • stephanieannstephanieann Posts: 25Registered Users
    I found this online but I remember my last box said it now contains no tall oil and no mineral oil.

Surya Henna Cream is a temporary coloring and hair treatment, in a ready-to-use cream presentation. Practical and easy-to-use, it is a natural and organic product, made from rare and exotic herbs and fruits of Brazil - Amazônia - and India. This product also colors white hair, with no peroxide, heavy metals or ammonia.
    It treats and conditions, due to the action of the natural properties of herbs and fruits, namely:
    -Henna: Plant that moisturizes and forms a protective layer on each hair strand.
    -Arnica: Plant which is a capillary stimulant and acts as a vasoprotector.
    -Achillea Millefolium: Plant that acts as an analgesic and a bactericide.
    -Chamomile: Plant that acts as a dermal protector, descongestant, and is a natural tranquilizer.
    -Amla: An Indian fruit rich in Vitamin C
    -Mallow: Plant that acts as an emollient, is a natural tranquilizer, and protector.
    -Hazelnut: Softens and lubricates
    -Guaraná: A Brazilian fruit that acts as a capillary stimulant.
    -Honey: An antioxidant and moisturizer.
    -Açai: Brazilian fruit that moisturizes, acts as an emollient and as a remineralizer
    -Carrot: Softens and protects skin.
    -Juá: Brazilian fruit that is tensoactive, anti-inflammatory, and peripheral circulation stimulant.
    -Aloe Vera: Plant that moisturizes, softens and acts as an emollient.-Acerola: Brazilian fruit rich in Vitamin C.
    -Brazil Nut: Moisturizes, revitalizes, conditions and acts as an emollient
    Guaranteed to cover gray hair.
    100% natural hair coloring and nourishing treatment for the hair.
    No peroxide, ammonia, resorcinol, PPD, parabens or heavy metals.
    100% plant product with pure honey.

Ingredients: Water/Aqua, Ethoxydiglicol, Methylpyrrolidone, Tall Oil Acid, Ethylene Glicol, Cocoamide Dea, Diethanolamine, Monoethanolamine, Olemide Mipa, Acrylates Copoluner, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Mineral Oil, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna), Leaves Extract, Arnica Montanna Extract, Phyllantus Emblica (Amla), Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana (Guarana), Honey Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Corylus Rostrata (Hazel), Seed Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Extract, Ziziphus Joaseiro (jua) Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Berttholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Extract.
    Thanks very much redmum and stephanieann for the comments and ingredients. I'd found shorter lists of ingredients before, but knew there must be more things in it. Now it's not got tall oil acid in it I might be able to use it - I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the henna mix I'm using at the moment. Looks like more strand tests on the way!
  • AlkaAlka Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi

I too was looking for healthier alternatives to color my hair. I was happy to find Surya henna. But it too has several ingredients that are carcinogenic and unhealthy in other ways. I bought two boxes of Surya Henna. Both of them had a white sheet of paper firmly glued over the back flap of the boxes. It claimed "New Formula - No Mineral Oil and Synthetic Fragerance". However, after a lot of effort I managed to take off this sheet and looked at the original ingredients. Here's what I found. So, please beware...

Ethoxcydiglicol is carcinogenic. Methylpyrrolidone is worse. Also, it does contain Mineral Oil and Fragerance. The list on the white sheet did not mention several of the real ingredients!!

Ingredients: Water/Aqua, Ethoxydiglicol, Methylpyrrolidone, Tall Oil Acid, Ethylene Glicol, Cocoamide Dea, Diethanolamine, Monoethanolamine, Olemide Mipa, Acrylates Copoluner, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Mineral Oil, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna), Leaves Extract, Arnica Montanna Extract, Phyllantus Emblica (Amla), Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana (Guarana), Honey Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Corylus Rostrata (Hazel), Seed Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Extract, Ziziphus Joaseiro (jua) Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Berttholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Extract.

Alka.
  • elanielani Posts: 3Registered Users
    ok..seems like this thread has been going for a while so i hope im not posting too late to get a response.

i want to know exactly how well the surya stuff fades...i actually want to play with color and not get stuck with it. and all the people i know who do anything with henna end up with some very permanently weird red shades even when the rest of the color is gone.

does this product eventually fade completely or does henna always leave traces?
  • FabyFaby Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have been dyeing my hair for months with Surya and I must admit is fab! It is necessary to keep it on between 45 mins and 1 hour to have complete gray cover and it lasts for 6ish shampoos. It is very easy to use!
    With time I had developed an allergy at PDD contained in most colorants and I was really upset because I could not do anything...but Surya is one of the few henna that does not use that chemical ingredient...
    Overall very good, I really recommend it.
  • penpen Posts: 1Registered Users
    I met a Surya rep in Wholefoods. Told her that I didnt want reddish and didnt want black. I wanted dark ash brown my natural color. I have a clump of uneven grey on the top of my head. I wanted to stop using other products with PPD, even though I had been using hte mildest.

Im really unhappy with the so called dark brown. on the grey hairs its just a red henna color. Then I went back to WF and got the so called black, trying to cover it up. It helped a but but it seems that the darker colors are fading and the red is persistent.

I am so cross!!! I could have got that red henna color years ago. I dont know why they call it dark brown when its not. Even the so called back comes out a dark brown when I put it on white paper. I dont know what to do. There are suggestions online for removing henna but mineral oil is apparently drying and also the molasses technique. My 3c is dry enough.

Any ideas of how I can cover up the red or get it out?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file