Food in nasal cavity???

lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
Ok, this my be a little gross, so beware to the squeamish... I think I inhaled a tiny piece of Nerds candy into my nasal cavity and now it's stuck. Ack! I did this before this summer... I was eating popcorn and coughed a little bit to clear my throat and a small piece of kernel/popcorn went up my nose. I wasn't actually sure what happened, until I blew my nose :shock: . I've tried sniffing it back in and also blowing my nose, but it still feels like it's up there. What should I do?? Should I just wait for it to come out? Will it melt (it's really just sugar...)? Will it cause an infection if it stays?
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I don't know what to tell you.

In the spirit of solidarity, I will tell you that I inhaled a tiny little bug last summer. It was awful and I'm still traumatized.

I hope someone here can be of more help.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Neti pot?
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Tweezers, bright lights, and a mirror?
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Registered Users Posts: 1,641
    I think it will come out on it's own, eventually (I hope!). You'll probably blow or sneeze it out soon.
    33abhqq.gif
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Registered Users Posts: 5,766 Curl Connoisseur
    I sucked up a nerd in my nasal cavity once too!!!!!!
    I SWEAR!
    that is so crazy.

I don't remember what eventually happened, though. pretty sure I kept blowing my nose. I don't know if it came out that way or not.

sorry. I was no help at all.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    Neti pot. Then emergency room. Seriously, I would so not be able to sleep with a nerd up my nose.
  • hayseedladyhayseedlady Registered Users Posts: 646
    Wal-greens has neti pot look alikes. I sniffed a small bug a few years ago and had to flush it out.
  • * Willow ** Willow * Registered Users Posts: 496
    I have had this happen to me a few times - only when eating carrots though. What the? :dontknow:

You can try to hork it back out of your sinuses, but I recommend trying to get yourself to sneeze. It is marginally less disgusting. :toothy7:
    If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    Willow6886 wrote: »
    hork it back out of your sinuses :toothy7:

For some odd reason I know what this word means.

My first thought was neti pot or blow your nose. DH eats Nerds all the time and I'll have to warn him!

Good luck :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    Maybe you could flush it out....

Squirt normal saline or water up you nose and try to suction it out...using maybe a bulb syringe??

I'm a peds nurse and we have these little bullets of normal saline we squirt up baby's noses then suction with either wall suction or a bulb syringe to get boogers and snot out. Works great.

I'm sure it'll disolve on it's own with time. So it's more of a comfort issue.
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I guess I wasn't totally clear with my first post... I was actually eating the Nerds and cleared my throat a bit and one went right up into my nose area. I didn't just snort one! :lol:

I think it's mostly dissolved, actually... I keep "horking" it back and I think it's just dissolving and draining down. Lovely, right? I think tomorrow I'll get some saline to snort so I can clear out my sinuses. Maybe this would be a good time to force myself to try a neti pot... I've been to scared to try it but maybe now I should. We'll see...

Thanks for all of the advice ladies! You were more helpful than my dad, who laughed at me when I told him what happened.

• cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    CGNYC wrote: »
    Neti pot. Then emergency room. Seriously, I would so not be able to sleep with a nerd up my nose.

I bought squirted chocolate milk outa my nose with that line.

Hey maybe that might help get the nerd out.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers WARegistered Users Posts: 3,465
    I'm a total jerk, but I admit I laughed. Only after I read other responses, though, so I wouldn't feel like an even bigger ass if it was a really serious issue. Getting a Nerd stuck up my nose is something I can clearly see myself doing.

I'm glad it might be dissipating, though. What a PITA that would be, feeling something weird up your nose for a long time. I hope it goes away by morning.
    Try the neti pot and you won't be disappointed! :D I was SO scared to try one, but DH did it first then I gave it a go and it there was nothing to it. Your nose will thank you! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138 Curl Connoisseur
    Best thread in two weeks! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
    It's a good day to be happy.
    Location - WI
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Lauraloo, you must now change your name.

I'm thinking....Snorty.

Isn't the candy colored? So, um, can't you tell from the color of your snot if it's dissolving?

You can get saline nasal spray at Target for about $4. It's like what you would mix up in a neti pot, but premixed and you can squirt it up your nose (then it all runs out in an amusing manner) or you can tilt your head and let it run in there. Otherwise I'd go to urgent care, they'll get it out pretty fast. Tell them you snorted it on a bet, it'll give them something to talk about.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    lauraloo wrote: »
    Ok, this my be a little gross, so beware to the squeamish... I think I inhaled a tiny piece of Nerds candy into my nasal cavity and now it's stuck. Ack! I did this before this summer... I was eating popcorn and coughed a little bit to clear my throat and a small piece of kernel/popcorn went up my nose. I wasn't actually sure what happened, until I blew my nose :shock: . I've tried sniffing it back in and also blowing my nose, but it still feels like it's up there. What should I do?? Should I just wait for it to come out? Will it melt (it's really just sugar...)? Will it cause an infection if it stays?

ok, after i finished laughing, i was reminded of my friend in biology class in high school who sucked a now-and-later down to a thin sliver, started laughing, and it came out her nose and landed on the lab table in front of us! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

ingredients in nerds are: DEXTROSE, SUGAR, MALIC ACID, AND LESS THAN 2% OF CORN SYRUP, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARNAUBA WAX, CONFECTIONER'S GLAZE, GUM ACACIA, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, COLOR ADDED

unless you are naturally allergic to any of these ingredients, i'm sure your nasal moisture will melt it. what you could do is flush your nose with saline spray or a neti pot if it's really bothering you.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • PeppyPeppy Registered Users Posts: 3,290
    Seriously, I would so not be able to sleep with a nerd up my nose.

Great. Now I have Dr. Pepper in my nasal cavity! :laughing7:
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl MissouriRegistered Users Posts: 1,955
    whenever i throwup after I eat hamburger i get some stuck in there it's awful
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
    whenever i throwup after I eat hamburger i get some stuck in there it's awful

You say that like it happens often...........

:tongue5:
    Location - WI
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    :lol::lol::lol: You all are cracking me up! I'm glad my predicament has been entertaining. And no Castella, my ahem snot was not a different color... but for all I know I could have inhaled a green one. :mrgreen: But I'm pretty sure the thing dissolved. Whew!

-Lauraloo, aka "Snorty" :laughing7:

• yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Registered Users Posts: 5,766 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh you know what.. I just realized what this thread reminds me of... my sister.

When she was really little she kept complaining to my mom..
    "I have a wheel in my nose.. :(" and my mom kept telling her to stop telling tales. She persisted.

I have a wheeeeeel in my noooooooooooose. I have a wheeeel in my noooooooose. :(

"Tracy, you do NOT have a WHEEL in your NOSE. now stop it!"

My dad says.."well, maybe she DOES have a wheel in her nose."
    my dad is so smart.

So my mom indulges her and makes her start blowing her nose and lo and behold...
    what finally came out, after a whole lotta blows..?
    a tiny little matchbox car wheel.

How it got in there I have no idea.
    but she really did have a wheel in her nose.

kids are so weird.
    lauraloo... do you have a wheel in your nose, too?
    Or did you just snort nerds? :p

Yes, we all know you snorted those nerds.
    don't lie. it's us... your curly friends.
    I stuck a peanut in my nose when I was a kid. We had to go to the ER to get it out because I shoved it up in there pretty good. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring1onu wrote: »
    I stuck a peanut in my nose when I was a kid. We had to go to the ER to get it out because I shoved it up in there pretty good. :D

:lol: Ok, I'm imagining this:

22270282.jpg

and I'm dying laughing.
    I'm guessing you just meant a single peanut without the shell, right? :lol:

mr. y's sister jammed hot dog skins in her ear. She kept peeling off the skin and just jamming it in there. They had to take her to the hospital to get them all out of there.

ok. I want to see someone top the hot dog skin story.

c'mon.... let's hear it..
    anyone got anything worse than hot dog skins???
    Yes..just the peanut without the shell. :lol:

My sister was always having stomach aches and mom finally figured out why...she caught her in the tub eating soap! :tongue5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    How it got in there I have no idea. but she really did have a wheel in her nose.
    OMG, maybe I'm just overly hormonal, but this story made me laugh so hard I cried. Like serious sobbing, hysterical tears. I guess since my kid is starting to talk and say weird things, I'm totally picturing some little kid howling about a wheeeeeeel up their nose. That's priceless. Thanks Yagotta. I haven't laughed like that in a long time:thumbleft:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    mr. y's sister jammed hot dog skins in her ear. She kept peeling off the skin and just jamming it in there. They had to take her to the hospital to get them all out of there.

ok. I want to see someone top the hot dog skin story.

c'mon.... let's hear it..
    anyone got anything worse than hot dog skins???

You win!!!! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
    Location - WI
  • roseannadanaroseannadana OrlandoRegistered Users Posts: 5,633 Curl Connoisseur
    Seriously, I would so not be able to sleep with a nerd up my nose.

This would really be a great signature...

My niece once put a bean up her nose. She kept sniffing and told her mom that her nose was hurting. Her mom got the flashlight and looked but couldn't see anything. The little girl kept complaining about her nose being sore. Finally, Mom said, "Shelly, I don't know what in the world is wrong with your nose!" Shelly got real quiet for a few minutes and then meekly said, "Well, maybe somebody put a bean up there." :)

Trip to ER!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    How it got in there I have no idea. but she really did have a wheel in her nose.
    OMG, maybe I'm just overly hormonal, but this story made me laugh so hard I cried. Like serious sobbing, hysterical tears. I guess since my kid is starting to talk and say weird things, I'm totally picturing some little kid howling about a wheeeeeeel up their nose. That's priceless. Thanks Yagotta. I haven't laughed like that in a long time:thumbleft:

hysterical laughter is the best. hee..:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've had to postpone braids-with-beads with my daughter for a while, because she just couldn't stop putting them up her nose. She was one of the few babies I ever knew who rarely put 'wrong' objects into her mouth as an infant or a crawler. She had certainly never had any desire to put beans up her nose, or kernels and bits of peanuts like other toddlers. I mean, even though I was on the lookout like any other mom, it was just something she rarely did.

But put beads on her hair and she'd become transformed. It's like she's hypnotized by the beads and must put them up her nose, whether she wants to or not. It was very weird. I'd be walking by and see her sitting with a strange fixed stare. Or, she'd come to me and just stand and look at me solemnly. At first she'd let out a couple of sniffs while standing there. Then I caught on, and as soon as I spotted her sitting with that look, I'd automatically investigate her nose. Needless to say, all hair beads have been packed away for now.

LOL @ nerds, wheels and hot dog skins :laughing7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file